Fine Young Cannibals - "Drives Me Crazy" Riff?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Fine Young Cannibals - "Drives Me Crazy" Riff?

Post by akg414 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 am

I'm not looking to get this tone, I'm just more curious as an engineer?

But, does anyone know the technique used on "Drives Me Crazy" from the Fine Young Cannibals? You know, that really 80's sounding da-da, da-da? I can hear a chorus and some mild distortion, but am not sure of the guitar type. I'm leaning towards a Tele, but I read on one of those tabs-sites that its a distorted Ukelele. Any info would be great.
- Brad

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:31 am

Some notes, here.

Guitars got similarly complex treatment that belied the seeming simplicity of their final sound. The staccato single-note lines were actually layered six deep, with a few chords thrown in here and there. Some of the lines and chords were actually recorded only once, then manually triggered from a sampler during playback and mixing. One of the lines was also played back through an underwater pool-type speaker Z had laying around, then re-recorded to tape, giving it a muted, mysterious quality that no onboard or outboard EQ could mimic.

?What really made the guitars stand out, though, was that as Andy [Cox] was playing to chord parts, I was slowly twisting the EQ from one extreme to the other, giving it this wah effect,? says Z. ?So every part on the record has a very individual and unique sound. But there aren't many parts at all, so the space between them becomes part of the sound.?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

akg414
re-cappin' neve

Post by akg414 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 am

vvv wrote:Some notes, here.

Guitars got similarly complex treatment that belied the seeming simplicity of their final sound. The staccato single-note lines were actually layered six deep, with a few chords thrown in here and there. Some of the lines and chords were actually recorded only once, then manually triggered from a sampler during playback and mixing. One of the lines was also played back through an underwater pool-type speaker Z had laying around, then re-recorded to tape, giving it a muted, mysterious quality that no onboard or outboard EQ could mimic.

?What really made the guitars stand out, though, was that as Andy [Cox] was playing to chord parts, I was slowly twisting the EQ from one extreme to the other, giving it this wah effect,? says Z. ?So every part on the record has a very individual and unique sound. But there aren't many parts at all, so the space between them becomes part of the sound.?
Perfect - thanks man ;)
- Brad