anyone running the Slate VCC plugin?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

anyone running the Slate VCC plugin?

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:06 am

I posted on the tapeop.com questions (pretty slow over there...) and I also have an open case with Slate support but thought I would see if anyone else has seen this and resolved it, or if you have Pro Tools 9.0.6 (or even 10 or 11) on Windows 7 and VCC 1.5.2 (the latest) - might be willing to try this? I could send you the simple session file or its easy enough to create.

when I copy a Slate VCC plugin from one track to another, suddenly other plugins go wonky and no longer move properly - for example, holding and clicking should rotate a knob, but it doesn't. clicking a button should toggle the function, but it doesn't either. If I close Pro Tools and start everything back up, then its fine again (until I mess with VCC).

To verify this problem I created a very simple session that has a couple of empty tracks. One is an instrument track, and the others mono audio.

I inserted the stock Avid MIDI "MiniGrand Piano" on the instrument track. all button functions work - meaning I can click and hold on a button and rotate it.

next I insert a VCC plugin on one of the audio tracks. the piano plugin still works properly.

next I hold ALT while clicking on the VCC plugin and drag it to another channel's insert (to copy it).

now the Grand Piano plugin does not allow me to adjust the buttons/knobs.

If I disable all the plugins (CTRL+ALT+click on each) and then re-enable them, it sometimes brings everything back to normal. Sometimes I can do this a couple times and then it works.

I tried the same steps above several times but used the stock Avid EQ3 plugin instead of VCC and never saw a problem. And its not just the piano plugin since if I use Waves plugins and the VCC, the Waves plugins have trouble like the piano plugin did.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:11 pm

I got it but had problems authorizing it on the usb dongle, crap II, and haven't had calm or time to deal with it since :oops:

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:34 pm

I do like the plugin. It adds a sound that is not just EQ and I like that I can choose a different type of channel for different instruments. when I use it across and entire mix I usually end up liking it more with VCC running.

Mike
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:16 am

I ended up reinstalling PT9.0.6 on a brand new installation of Windows 7 on completely different hardware and was able to repro the same problem so I suppose I'm not entirely crazy... unfortunately now Slate support seems to be on vacation or something.

btw, the workaround I've found is this (in case anyone else ever runs across it):

1. make sure all the VCC plugins are on the same insert (I usually use the very first one)
2. do a CTRL+ALT+Command/Windows click on one of the plugins - this should disable the whole row of VCC plugins. Do it once more to re-enable them all.
3. If that doesn't fix it, repeat step # 2 again

Now I'm usually home free unless I alt-click and drag another copy of VCC - but I usually do this only once when I'm setting up the mix.

Mike
Mike

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Copying VCC instances is not as "good" as reinstantiating, or option-instantiating. It seems to me that copying makes VCC's grouping think it's the same plug in.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:14 pm

I honestly have not been using the grouping controls much. I was told by support that an update should be coming next month so maybe it will help these things.

Mike
Mike

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm hoping the update is for AAX myself.