Microphone carrying/storage cases

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

krizrox
audio school graduate

Microphone carrying/storage cases

Post by krizrox » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:00 am

Just curious - I have enough microphones here with the original storage/carrying cases. Some I've had for over 10 years now. The problem I'm seeing is the foam interior to these cases - the foam material is starting to crumble apart just from reaching into the case and pulling the microphone out repeatedly. I tried calling a couple of the mfg's to see if the foam material was available as a replacement part. None of them offer it although they'd be happy to sell you a brand new case for a hundred bucks or more.

Any suggestions? I assume I can just buy the bulk foam and cut it to size but these foam inserts are custom molded to the microphone and parts. It doesn't look like it would be an easy task to try and custom cut the foam. I rarely take the mics out of the studio so it's not a big issue for me to just throw them in a box or something. But I'd like to keep them in a safe storage environment.
Larry Kriz
LnL Recording
Elgin, IL
www.LnLrecording.com

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:20 am

you can buy sheets of pick & pluck foam. ought to be fairly easy to make those fit everything.

it's a good idea to keep mics in plastic bags in their cases so little pieces of the foam/dust/whatever don't dirty up the capsules.

i have a couple of large pelican cases, and all my mics are in those. wonderful cases, but not cheap.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 am

If they never leave the studio, you might just want to leave them (or your main mikes) set-up, and use covers instead.

If you want a case (or cases) for your mikes, what are we talking about? Dynamic mikes? I've got one of those multiple hole boxes (6 or 8, I forget); I've got a bunch in there, and others in their original boxes. Something like this, but a little smaller:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--SKB3I0907MC6

If you want foam inserts to hold dynamic mikes, they do sell those separately:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/4517 ... Ogod6WcAqw

If you want custom foam, you might check here:
http://www.buffalofoamcushions.com/ (it says "foam cushions," but they do all kinds of stuff; they used to be called "Buffalo Custom Foam," and I believe they've worked with a few local tv studios). I'm not sure if they can make/cut something to fit your cases and odd-shaped condenser mikes, but it's worth a call or e-mail, I suppose.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I had a cabinet I custom made for the studio for mic storage. Buncha drawers with compartments for the various mics in the arsenal. Each compartment had a thin foam bottom sheet, and thicker foam walls. Foam all covered by felt because it looked cool and kept things neater. the mics could nestle in their own cradles that way.

Bet you could do the same with your original boxes. In fact, I know you can 'cause I've done that too. Find yer local fabric store and see what they can offer for materials, since that's where I got mine...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:06 pm

FWIW, I store my mic's in open freezer bags, either on the stands (some on desk stands) or in a clear wall-hanging shoe-holder.

To transport, I use the Shure-type bags, Crown Royal bags, pencil cases or insulated lunch bags to wrap 'em individually, and carry 'em in a large soft-side padded ballistic nylon file-case.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

krizrox
audio school graduate

Post by krizrox » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:42 pm

thanks guys - I guess I'll do the right thing and just make some type of custom solution - perhaps non-foam based since I'm not really moving the mics anywhere.
Larry Kriz
LnL Recording
Elgin, IL
www.LnLrecording.com