Active Monitor Failure

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Active Monitor Failure

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:56 am

I've got a pair of older model Adam S.3.A's I bought used around 5 years ago. I've got them soffitted in my control room, which is in an unconditioned space. The soffit cabinets aren't totally enclosed, but they likely don't ventiallate all that well either. I've got some OC 703 in the cavities thinking that would help tame reflections.

In any case, I've had two amps/drivers fail in the past 3 years. The last was around 7 months ago. Each time I've taken up to the factory authorized shop up in North Hollywood (I'm in San Diego). That one just failed on me again--noticed it last night.

So my questions are these:
1. Is my installation faulty--is it likely the things are overheating and failing?

2. It seems strange the one speaker failed so soon after repair; while the other continues to perform ok--could there have been some deficiency in the work?

At this point the overall reliability of my system is bothering me; and I don't relish trucking up to North Hollywood on the reg. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am

Could definitely be temp related. I'd get a thermometer back there and see how hot it gets.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks. I reckon I could hook up some ventillation fans that kick on when the monitors are powered--similar to the way PC's work.

There's also a slider window behind the front wall they're soffited in (it's how I get access when I need to get them out for repair. I could think about putting a small AC unit back there as well.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:25 am

One thing that strikes me though, wouldn't they be equipped with some type of thermal protection circuitry?

Jedanor
studio intern

Post by Jedanor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Doubt it. I have two pairs of active monitors on my desktop, one Yamaha and one KRK. They both run hot. Amplifiers need ventilation.

Jed

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks guys.