Beyer M69 vs. M201 on snare

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

howdini
audio school graduate

Beyer M69 vs. M201 on snare

Post by howdini » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 pm

l've been using the M69 on snare in a live club setting for a few years now, and totally love it: like a smoother, meatier 57.

l've heard a lot of love thrown the way of the M201, and l've been thinking about picking up one. Do the two mics have a similar enough sound profile that l wouldn't hear much difference?

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 am

The 69 is a bit M88-ish while the M201 is like... well, let me quote the electrical audio website here: "Hypercardioid dynamic mic, can handle very high SPL. Useful for snare drum, freak high-SPL situations where you still need good midrange clarity. If the SM57 were a microphone, it would sound like this." Haha! I like the fact that it's useable frequency range goes up higher than your unmodded SM57.. and lower.. and it's more even inbetween. Good rejection (=hihat) on a snare, very small, fits easier when the set is crowded (the M69 is twice as big) and - can't praise this enough! - lower output than a host of other mics, you don't need to pad it down with a loud source on certain preamps that run already +30dB amplification when you dial them low. The moving coil is lightweight and fast - good transients, takes eq well because of where the resonant frequency of the capsule sits.
Try it on cabs as well, or if you want scratch vocals in the room/w band with good rejection. If you feel brave, use two as an overhead pair, if the drumset isn't too large. Not kidding! Overheads. Colored, but worth a try.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:41 am

+1 on all of the above. I never really try other mics on top of the snare because my 201 always works.

Additionally I frequently use a lot of hip guitar amp mics, ribbons and condensers. Once in a while I'll be getting a 3rd guitar track, or just wanting to do something different in the overdub phase and I'll put the 201 on the speaker. Always has a really nice balance and clear representation of what the amp is doing. Easy to mix without the boomy lows of some of my ribbons, or the fizzy highs of some sensitive condensers.

howdini
audio school graduate

Post by howdini » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks, gents! l read that Electrical Audio assessment a couple of months ago and thought it was hysterical, but just wanted some further thoughts on it. l think l'll be picking one up soon.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am

I have two M201s and I use them a lot. They are workhorses and, yes, they sound better than a 57. To be honest though, they are not my favorite mic for top of snare. In a live setting, you'll probably like the smoother, meatier sound, but for recording I sometimes find them too dark or just lacking in snap that cuts through. Sometimes they're fine. Depends on the snare drum. They rule on guitars and distorted bass. With a windscreen they sound nice on loud vocals too. Tight pattern is useful. I doubt you'll regret picking one up.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:26 pm

i finally got an M201 recently and now wish i had years ago. great mic. perfect for top snare and i found it a bit less harsh on guitar cabs than an m88 or 421. i think i might buy another already.

i had 3 m69s for a good while that i used to like on top snare, but drummers kept hitting them (i lost one to that) and i started using an RE15 or an SM98 on top. as my mic locker got bigger, i eventually sold them off. also, they never wowed me on guitar cabs

get an m201. you won't regret it.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:34 pm

the 201 is the only mic that is so good I was tempted to steal it.
It doesn't help that it looks like a Maglite.
Of course I would never steal someone's microphone, but doesnt mean it didn't cross my mind.

Used to love the 69 on my voice. It somehow smoothes out the midrange peakyness of my voice without sounding EQed.
It's also a great mic for R&B/hip-hop.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:06 am

Agreed with everything above. The m69 is smooth and level-sounding - not much peakyness. If the source is good, the m69 will allow it come through, but I've never felt like it's going to give you something that's not already there. The m201 shapes the source sound a bit more. Much more articulate than a 57, to be sure. I used one in a pinch on acoustic guitar and it worked out really nicely.

howdini
audio school graduate

Post by howdini » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks again, everyone: a 201 (or two!) is definitely at the top of the "to buy" list.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:41 am

I was tracking with a psych-pop/folk/whatever band that was very good at producing themselves. They had a classical guitar, a banjo, a 12 string and a regular steel string acoustic that they were adding for color to some rhythm tracks that were just typical rock trio.

As I said, they knew exactly the purpose of each overdub, and as we were moving quickly and switching songs and instruments we all agreed to have an easy mic'ing game plan.

I had a Mojave 301fet, a Beyer m201 and an EV RE10. Depending on the importance of the part, how much presence they wanted, and how particular they were about fidelity they would just sit down in front of one of the three. Worked perfectly from a High- mid- low presence level for each mic. The 201 just hangs in there. Neither sparkly, nor honky.