8 channel AD/DA for Apollo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

templejazz82
pluggin' in mics

8 channel AD/DA for Apollo

Post by templejazz82 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi all- I have the Apollo Quad, and I have a lunchbox with some CAPI pres. Down the road, I would like to integrate that Apollo with a D-box as well as expand my input numbers via ADAT. I am back and forth between a 4-710d to get 4 channels of the UA pres plus for more line in's or something like a Lynx Aurora 8 or something like that for Adat in. Am I missing options to simply get 8 more channels of external pres into the Apollo? I know I am, so, school me!

mrb
ass engineer

Re: 8 channel AD/DA for Apollo

Post by mrb » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 am

templejazz82 wrote: Am I missing options to simply get 8 more channels of external pres into the Apollo? I know I am, so, school me!
I don't know if there are a better option, but recently I borrowed an Apollo and
i used it as the main device with my Rosetta 800 connected via ADAt.
It worked perfectly with PT 10.
Max RB

alexevansohio
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by alexevansohio » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:21 pm

I'd say the Rosetta 800, despite no longer being available new, is a pretty common choice for that job. Unlike the Aurora, you don't need to buy a separate ADAT card for it- it has ADAT ports as a stock feature. Plus, the Apogee name is better respected than the Lynx name in most people's minds, and the Rosetta is generally found cheaper used than the Aurora. Either is capable of very professional results though.

The 4710 option, or something like an ISA 428 with the digital card is cool, but also can be somewhat limiting, since, if you decide you don't like those pres anymore, you'd also need to get new conversion, and you are forced to use the built in pres for the first 4 channels. If that doesn't bother you, then both are solid sounding options for a good price.