Best budget Large diaphragm studio mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

The best budget large diaphragm condenser mic?

MCA/MXL
No votes
Gauge
No votes
Studio Projects
No votes
SE X1
No votes
Perception series AKG
17%
Audio Technica AT2020
No votes
Rode
50%
Samson
No votes
Behringer
No votes
other
33%

Total votes: 6

mikethomasmusic
audio school graduate

Best budget Large diaphragm studio mic?

Post by mikethomasmusic » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Forgive me if this topic is old or has been beaten to death, I'm relatively new to the board. So as you guessed from the topic title, what is everyone's thoughts and experiences when it comes to the vast influx in the last few years of the inexpensive, (usually Chinese made), large diaphragm condenser microphones? I'm going to say try to keep it $199 and under. I'm looking to decide and make a purchase ASAP. Just a quick background for mic use. I have just a real small budget project studio. I run a mac and recently updated to mavericks. I'm using Logic pro 9. I do have the latest pro X version I just have not gotten around to installing it yet. I mainly would need a microphone that is a multi-purpose workhorse mic. I will primarily be using it for vocals, and micing my acoustic guitar. Once in a great while I may use it on my guitar amp, (although I usually use my 57 for that).

I remember reading, and it may have even been in a tape op issue that people were raving that the ridiculously,absurdly inexpensive price of the MCA Sp-1 mic is hands down one of the, if not th best hidden secret of inexpensive studio microphones? Although the capsule technically is about medium in size and the outer mic itself is a larger body, for the price I'm told it rocks. The parent company is MXL and I want to say it pretty much is the exact same circuit and capsule as the MXL 990? Which is inexpensive in itself. The list for the MCA Sp-1 is around $79 and you can find them usually around $50 to $60. I'm told if you hunt around the net long enough you may even come across one for $40. I find it comical that they don't even come in a box, but rather a blister pack, like a pair of electric hair cutting sheers or something, lol!

What are some thoughts and opinions on some other inexpensive suggestions? I have heard that those Gauge microphones are pretty decent? But I've also heard they are your pretty average run of the mill made in China quality mic? Their marketing is pretty hype how they over dress how much they quality control check them and if it is not up to standards they toss them aside? I was also looking into Studio project microphones? Then of course there is the MXL's, Audio technics AT202's,Rode, Samson,Behringer, SE X1,AKG perception series, and the made in china list goes on and on....

My main reason for picking everyone's brain is that the last time I had purchased any type(s) of large diaphragm studio microphones was just before the whole inexpensive made in China craze hit the market. I want to say at the time, I had an MXL tube microphone with a separate power supply that cost me around $600. This is when MXL's also were bille as Marshall electronics. Also back back then I think the least expensive Cad microphone was like $399 just to give you a time frame of how long its been since I was looking into things. It had to be I want to say at least 10 to 15 years ago before the spike in cheap mics hit the market right? Anyway I would really appreciate any advice based on experience. I want to make a decision and purchase ASAP. Also if any of you have any good small Mom and Pop stores that you would recommend I order online with I much prefer doing business with those kind of establishments. Thanks for everyone's time and again I apologize if this issue has been beaten to death. Without looking back through the archives, it does seem like it would be a much rehashed topic.
Cheers,
Mike

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi Mike,

I would try to get either an MXL Mogami edition tube mic, or get a used mic around your price range.

You would want to buy a condenser microphone, with multiple patterns if possible, 3 patterns minimum.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 am

I have that MXL tube mic, and it really is very good, but not very spontaneous to use. But I do love it on vocals, and especially on acoustic guitar.

If it has to be a condensor (and there are some awesome dynamics out there), I tell friends that the ADK A51V and the CAD GXL3000 are both pretty alright for under US$200 used.

The best buy, and multi-pattern, could be the CAD M179 for around the same money. I also have a Samson C02 mult-pattern that I used for M/S drums for a while that was OK for that purpose.

The next level up for me would be the AT4040, KSM27 and I really like the kinda vintage trannie sound of the M-Audio Luna; all can be US$300 or less.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 am

I have the CAD GXL3000s. You can find them for under $100 new, certainly well under $200. They are serviceable, though the high end is a little finicky for me on some sources.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:30 am

I find vocal mics to be the most finicky, and also one of those applications where more specific colors tend to be more useful. It's a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none situation.

That said, I'd see how far your budget can stretch into the Audio Technica or Shure lines. The AT40xx mics are all useful, and the Shure SM27 is remarkably nice.

Shop hard, shop used.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 pm

If your budget is below $200 and you're mainly looking for a good vocal mic I'd avoid all budget condensers and look at used dynamics. If you can find one for the right price a 421 is a powerful tool on lots and lots of sources. Beyond that - older EV mics can be great (635a, RE10, RE15, 664 etc), lesser known Beyers can be had cheap (I have yet to find a Beyer mic that sucks), 70's AKGs are also cheap and often great. Used Chinese ribbons are also very useful and on budget (Apex, Nady, etc)
If you really need a condenser I'd look for a used Oktava 219 or 319 and do the headbasket mods outlined on the Oktavamod site.

All of the above are mics you'll likely keep as you expand and improve you're gear. Any sub-$200 Chinese condenser will be something you outgrow and replace.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:00 pm

+1 on the dynamics tip!

I find I use 'em at least as much as condensors on vocals (and more than anything on amps, followed by ribbons); I really only tend to prefer condensors on acoustic guitars, altho ' a 635a or a 57 sometimes works, also.

Lead vocal-wise, then, I like the the old MD421n I bought here best, but also like the 421 II, the RE320, and the (not large dia.) Beta 58, and my ancient EV 664.

Also, the SM7b and it's cheaper clone the Peavey 520i, and the AKG D5, and I think some of the EV N/D mic's are technically large dia., and many are very useful; even the N/D267 is worthy on vocals and amps.

FWIW, I frequently use inexpensive omni dynamics for backing vocals (Shure 63L 635a, Rat Shack 33-1070d, AT802, etc.) as well as room and even close mic's on amps and percussion.

As for those old AKG's, they are so cool, and I use them on amps, BV's, snare, etc.

I'll stop now, not talk about ribbons or PZM's or even phantom-powered dynamics unless ya ask. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Oktava m319 or a Cad M179.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm

I really like my LD1's from Pacific Pro Audio here in Seattle. They're re-branded Chinese imports but I can't find a fault with them:

http://www.pacificproaudio.com/microphones.asp

I find them fairly neutral but pleasingin terms of sound. Definitely using them for vocals and acoustic guitar a lot. I bought a second one to use as drum overheads and they do that pleasantly. For $99 they're a steal.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:17 am

If your tracking room acoustics is not up to par by your ears (treated or otherwise set up for a sound you like), a condensor or any other sensitive mic is fairly pointless.

At least factor that into your purchase decision.