Does such a mixer exist?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mikethomasmusic
audio school graduate

Does such a mixer exist?

Post by mikethomasmusic » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Although I haven't looked all that hard yet, (I just started researching a little while ago). I did see a couple of things that seem interesting to come out of NAMM last week, but for the most part I do not think there is such a mixer on the market. What I am getting at is, I'm looking to replace a powered mixer. My needs are pretty basic, just something that an acoustic duo and sometimes keyboardist, could use in small restaurant/pubs. Pretty much anything 4 to 8 channels and somewhere in the 300 to 600 watt range. Now what I'm specifically interested in is finding a powered mixer that also has usb, so that you may be able to also use it to control a DAW? Specifically, I run Logic pro on a 2008 mac and just updated to mavericks. Obviously there have been non powered boards that have had usb and firewire for quite some time, but is anyone familiar with any specific powered mixers that would have a usb out? It would be a bonus if the USB out could be used as control functions within my DAW, even if they were as basic of functions such as: EQ ,gain per channel,trim,and fader up and down. I would even consider a powered mixer that with usb that will at least just act as just an interface to communicate my inputs to the computer. it doesn't have to have the controlling aspects, however that would be an awesome bonus. As I said I did see a couple of things that looked interesting from last weeks NAAM convention. It looks like Peavy has something with effects parameters on on an LED screen. I can't remember its name. I want to say there is probably a powered Mackie onyx that would do it, but as far as I know those are only firewire and I am running an 08 macbook with only usb. Thanks in advance,
Mike.
Mike.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:12 am

Get powered speakers (of which there are bajillions and frankly pretty cheap) and your board to PC options will multiply.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:56 am

kayagum wrote:Get powered speakers (of which there are bajillions and frankly pretty cheap) and your board to PC options will multiply.
This is a pretty good answer.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:10 pm

honestly the price of powered speakers has dropped so much I can't see the point of buying non-powered speakers unless they are extremely high power capacity, or some amazing esoteric design.
This kind of negates the usefulness of powered mixers. So I don't expect to see a lot of development in the powered mixer space moving forward. Most of the guys that make powered mixers, like Yamaha, Mackie and Peavey, are selling competitive powered speakers as well.
I'm using a Numark M6 for my little living room setup. It does USB in addition to having mic, phono and -10 line level. It also has balanced outs which is great for hooking up to powered speakers.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."