Cubase Tempo Track Question

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Cubase Tempo Track Question

Post by magritte » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:49 pm

Hey guys.
I imported a drum loop into an audio track. Then I created a tempo track. I can set the tempo track to jump and ramp, but it doesn't affect my loop. So basically I hear the metronome slow down or speed up, but my actual drum loop does not slow down or speed up. Any ideas why this would happen and how to solve it? Thank you
Thank you, Mario, but our princess is in another castle.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Ableton Live?
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:57 pm

Or more seriously, Cubase doesn't just re-synch loops like that.

If you set up your loop to be a number of bars, you can use the timestretch tool to fit it to the grid at the desired tempo.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:10 pm

The Scum wrote:Or more seriously, Cubase doesn't just re-synch loops like that.

If you set up your loop to be a number of bars, you can use the timestretch tool to fit it to the grid at the desired tempo.
The loop was recorded at 180bpm and 8 bars.

So what I did is use the tempo mode (rather than fixed) on the transport, set the drum track to musical mode, created a tempo track, and then set my jumps and ramps. The metronome slows down on the jumps and ramps, but the drum loop doesn't slow down.

What is strange is that I tested this on completed imported songs. Songs I had recorded on analog and imported. So it's 1 track. I did the same exact process, and cubase slowed down and sped up the song on the jump and ramps. So why would this work with an imported song, but not with an imported drum loop?

Very confused.
Thanks

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 am

Take the loop channel out of music mode and put it in time based mode. there is a button that has a musical note on each channel, hit that and it turns to a clock. It will stop adjusting the tempo of the audio.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks farview. Unfortunately that didn't work. The loop remains at the same tempo, despite my changing it slower on the tempo track. Only the metronome gets slower, not the loop.

I attached a screen cap. So eat beat 3 I'd expect the loop to slow down, but it doesn't, only the metronome does. Any ideas?
Last edited by magritte on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:48 pm

You need to put the loop track to tempo based and double click on the loop and set the loop to tempo based (turn the clock into a note). There is also a way to do that in the audio pool, a check box for each audio event, but I can't quite recall what it's called.

Both the audio and the track the audio is on have to be set to tempo based in order for it to stretch audio to the tempo.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 pm

farview wrote:You need to put the loop track to tempo based and double click on the loop and set the loop to tempo based (turn the clock into a note). There is also a way to do that in the audio pool, a check box for each audio event, but I can't quite recall what it's called.

Both the audio and the track the audio is on have to be set to tempo based in order for it to stretch audio to the tempo.
Thanks, mate. The issue was double clicking the loop and changing that to the note. Now it works.

One issue, though: there are TONS of artifacts when I drop the tempo. Is that normal, and is there any way to improve it?

shane1980
audio school

Post by shane1980 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:58 pm

seems you are using Cubase 5? I remember someone said Cubase 5 does not support tempo track function very well

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:32 am

ah.
Last edited by magritte on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:55 pm

So I am experimenting with this again tonight, and still there are artifacts when I drop the tempo. Does anyone know why this would be happening or how to fix it?

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 pm

How far are you dropping it? You really can't drop it more than 10-15% without it sounding all messed up.

However, in the preferences, there is a parameter that allows you to change the algorithm that is used for the time stretching.

It is always easier to speed things up than slow them down.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 pm

farview wrote:How far are you dropping it? You really can't drop it more than 10-15% without it sounding all messed up.

However, in the preferences, there is a parameter that allows you to change the algorithm that is used for the time stretching.

It is always easier to speed things up than slow them down.
Thank you. I think I figured it out finally, but I will keep all this in mind.