Pulling snake through a utility duct - ideas?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Pulling snake through a utility duct - ideas?

Post by charmingtedious » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 am

Largely because the help of many fine folks from this board, our basement recording space is coming along quite nicely.

The next project I am thinking through involves the snake that runs from the live room to our control room. Turns out the drywall framing around the HVAC ductwork along the ceiling is quite a bit larger than the HVAC duct inside, functionally creating a utility duct which would allow our snake to run alongside and parallel to the HVAC, all the way to the center of the live room. It's an ideal placement and potentially a big improvement.

My question is: what do I do to pull the snake down this ~25 foot duct, about 12 inches in width? I would, of course prefer as little demolition and drywall repair as possible.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:32 am

Carefully Push a wire snake (some rather rigid wire) through from the desired end.
Take the XLR connectors off your snake.
Fashion something to connect the snake to. Some super tightened wire ties perhaps.

To get the snake through have someone pull from one end carefully and someone else pushing/feeding the snake along.

Re-attach connectors.

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:35 am

Are we talking something like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools- ... 5yc1vZbm7s

Additionally, if I've got room in the duct is it okay for me to just put the xlrs in a zip lock to protect against dust?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:56 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=electri ... 70&bih=814

Something like that. If the conduit is tight, also use some wiring lubricant. Cheap, and found along the wiring snakes.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:02 pm

that rigid fish wire should work great. if your duct is really 12" diameter then you probably don't even need to disassemble the snake (if it already has the XLRs). Wrap it up with a bunch of tape (or maybe even put aluminum foil around it - just something to allow it to move smoothly without catching on whatever is inside when you pull it back through. Something streamlined will work best.

if you can't get it to go in one direction - try the other. in that case, just pull a string or rope back on the fish. then secure the snake cable to it and pull it through. it all depends on what is in the middle... (I had a job that involved pulling wires a long time ago...)

one more thing - in a commercial studio, there may be rules against running cables through a vent. That usually requires a cable that is rated for plenum use (in other words if it burns it won't emit toxic fumes and kill everyone instantly). but as long as you are on the outside of the duct you are probably ok.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:47 pm

Mike brings up a good point. In fact, it is against code to run wires that are not rated for plenum use in an environmental air space.
In older buildings, many times a wall was constructed without firestops for plumbing risers. This is always a good candidate. In some cases, you'll find a few chases that go without obstructions through multiple floors. Not always, but sometimes there were plans for ducted systems that never got installed. Look in the bearing wall in the basement for some clues.

As for pulling it, I'd be surprised (and delighted) if you could pull it with the connectors on it. But it turns into a bit of a bundle with all the XLR's on it.
I make a living as an electrician, not recording in the basement.

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Mon May 26, 2014 2:38 pm

I wrapped all the ends up in a big wad of bubble wrap and managed to pull the thing through quite successfully. A huge improvement. Thanks for the help.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 pm

Be very careful what brand of wiring lube you use. Some of it dries out over time and becomes a solid mass of ha ha! now you can't get the wires out of the wall if you need to re-wire or move!

Don't ask how I know, and don't ask what those useless pipes in the studio ceiling are for. :oops:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/