Studiomaster 8 into 4 mixer with 8 channel tape recorder?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Beneficial
pushin' record

Studiomaster 8 into 4 mixer with 8 channel tape recorder?

Post by Beneficial » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:30 am

I have a rackmountable Studiomaster 8 into 4 mixer. The back panel of the mixer has 8 XLR mic inputs, 8 1/4" line inputs, and 8 Out/In 1/4" insert jacks. I really want to use this mixer with an 8 channel tape recorder to track using the 8 mixer preamps and then mixdown the 8 tape channels through this mixer.

Does anyone know of a good way to do this? Can I basically hook up the tape machine like an insert device?

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Anyone have any experience with these old studiomaster mixers?

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I have never used one of these brand mixers.

But... you can try to feed the tape machine off the sends.

Just monitor off another console, if possible.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:58 pm

Ok thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway to hook this up so that I wouldn't need 2 consoles? I'd really like to use this 8 channel mixer with the 8 track tape recorder if possible. I feel like I saw posts on how to rig up this type of setup before but I'm not sure.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:09 pm

What kind of tape machine is it? You should be able to run it on the inserts - Send to tape in, tape out to return. No guarantee the return levels won't super loud or too quiet depending if the tape machine runs at +4 or -10 and depending on what the insert is expecting to see.
Depending on the console it may also mean that EQ and fader will be post insert/post tape.
The short answer is try it.

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:10 pm

The mixer is a Studio master 8 into 4 which I have, and the tape unit is a Tascam 238 which I'm thinking about buying. I really love this mixer and wanted to make sure I could incorporate this tape machine.

The mixer manual says you can run the 4 sub buses out to a 4 track tape machine, but I want to be able to record all 8 tracks at once.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:03 pm

It will work on inserts. I ran a Tascam 38 from the inserts of a Allen & Heath System 8 for years. I returned to the line ins of channel 9-16 but you could just as easily return from the inserts. If the machine is -10 the playback signal into the insert might be a little week but that's really only an issue during tracking. When it's time to mix you can just plug into the line ins.

Beneficial
pushin' record

Post by Beneficial » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:04 pm

Ok awesome man, thanks.

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:49 pm

The 8 into 4 has 4 channels that are MIC/LINE, and 4 that are MIC/RIAA (for turntable inputs for DJs ... weird, yes), so you need defeat the RIAA if it hasn't been done already. Apparently it's an easy mod ... the one I have was already converted to 8 MIC/LINE inputs when I got it.

After that, for mixing, you just plug the 8 outputs of your tape deck into the 8 line inputs on the main channels. Use buss 1&2 or 3&4 as your main stereo outs.

For recording all 8 tracks, plug your mics into the XLR inputs, and I think it has direct outs for each channel to connect to the tape deck.
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be