Heavy duty mic stand fix?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

DrummerMan
george martin

Heavy duty mic stand fix?

Post by DrummerMan » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 pm

I've got a heavy duty mic stand and the the place where the boom arm meets the body is not locking into place. It doesn't slide up and down (thank god) but when I try to place a heavy mic at an angle other than vertical, it rotates back down. Now, it's not a threaded bolt-type thing holding it in place, but a flippy thing that applies pressure to the boom arm. see pic below...

I'm sure I can go in there and figure something out ,though I might fuck up some aspect of the stand in the process, so I thought I'd see if any of you fine folk have dealt with this exact issue before and might have a slick solution that you'd be willing to share.

Thanks!

Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:18 pm

What is attached to the back side of the lever to lock it in place? I would think there has to be a piece of rubber or plastic. Has it glazed, making it slick? Can you get a screwdriver or something in there to rough the surface back up?

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:41 pm

What kind of stand is that?

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 pm

I think it's ProLine, one of these.

I'll see if I can get the boom arm off. At first glance I didn't think I'd be able to but upon thinking about it, I'm sure I could. Probably be in the studio next on friday...
Geoff Mann

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:45 pm

psinglet wrote:What is attached to the back side of the lever to lock it in place? I would think there has to be a piece of rubber or plastic. Has it glazed, making it slick? Can you get a screwdriver or something in there to rough the surface back up?
The profile of the fulcrum point of the lever is like egg-shaped, so that when it's down there's added pressure on the clamp plate, which in turn pushes down on the boom arm.

The two solutions which seem like the first to explore would be 1) adding some substance to the egg shaped profile of the lever (maybe with some epoxy or just strips of electrical tape) to put added pressure on the boom arm.

2) would be to take out the boom arm (if possible) and maybe add something like a thin neoprene pad to the inside of the clamp plate.
Geoff Mann

psinglet
takin' a dinner break

Post by psinglet » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Just was looking at the pic again. Could it be that the two 'tabs' that the lever is attached to have bent outward a bit so the lever is not making good contact? Maybe take the pressure off the lever and then a couple of raps with a hammer on the tabs may bend them down a bit, making better contact?

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

I have that same overpriced piece of shit mic stand. The fucking tip where the mic screws in fell off on mine. It appears that part is just glued in. WTF

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:03 pm

I have that same stand and agree that it doesn't work as consistently as it should for the price. That flap-like latch doesn't always clamp down properly on mine. Usually moving the whole boom piece a fraction of an inch and then re-closing it works.

I used to think the whole Latch Lake super-expensive stand thing was a little over the top, but I don't think I can spend money on another typical stand like they sell at Guitar Center, or on Sweetwater. All a bunch of plastic threads, stripped screws, rubber feet that fall off (that the dog chews); it's all wasted money and shitty engineering.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:29 pm

Duct tape?

Or, for the more sophisticated set, Gaff?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.