Upper tier LDCs for loud stuff

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Upper tier LDCs for loud stuff

Post by permanent hearing damage » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 am

i think i have made a similar post in the past, but i'm hoping this is a bit more informed/focused.

so I actually get by pretty well with my current mic locker. I mostly record punk, hardcore, metal. lots of distortion, screaming, walls of guitars, etc. I have a lot of large diaphragm dynamics, some ribbons, decent SDCs, etc. I have a pair of 414s (unmatched, unfortunately - and not close enough to use as an overhead pair) that i can make use of for quieter stuff, female vocals (sometimes) or various things here and there. much as they are useful, they never blow me away on vocals - or in any application, really. just generally feels a little flat and boring to me. hell, if i'm not using an SM7, i often prefer a 4033, honestly.

I'm considering taking the plunge and getting a really nice LDC. ideally, it would be a go to vocal mic - even for screamers, but would also be useful other places - kick, front of kit, guitar/bass cabs potentially, whatever. so it would have to be able to handle some high SPL and ideally would have a pad option. multiple patterns would be a nice bonus, but not essential. I feel like I would be using cardioid 95% of the time anyway. I guess I also hope that I could potentially get a second one and use as an overhead pair, but as my 414s have shown me, that might be a bit of a gamble.

I have pretty limited experience with really high end mics, but the ones I have used always seemed to sound great no matter where I put them. Those were a U87, an M149 (though it couldn't handle the high SPLs) and a 4060 (maybe not regarded as "high end"?).

I'm guessing for SPLs, I should probably look closest at FET mics. I'm considering a Lawson 47FET or a Blue Mouse (w transformer). Also considering a Soundelux/Bock 195, though have seen some mixed reviews and would probably run a bit more. Should I be considering tube mics here?

Have seen a couple Peluso tube mics turn up used that could potentially fit in my budget, but I am pretty sure I can get any of those FET mics for considerably less.

I know there are a lot of companies making nice LDCs that I know next to nothing about. Pearlman, Advanced Audio, and other C12 clones, etc. Gearslutz is overflowing with everyone's $0.02 on these things, but they all seem to be for singer/songwriter types.

Anyone have any suggestions?

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm

Well, my Soundelux U95 was kind of a game changer as far as vocal mics go. Nothing about it has ever made me think to try it on guitar amps.

I have really grown more in love with my Mojave 301FET. It is very versatile. Fairly bright, but not too much. Not a ton of bottom end, but I wouldn't call it thin. You can get a different tone by switching the polar pattern. The bi-directional (I almost wrote bipolar) setting adds a little more chest to vocals.

The first time I put it on a guitar it sounded lame, I moved it like a fraction of an inch and then it fully delivered. Has nailed it for bass amps on both 15's and 10's in the last year or so I've had it.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:18 am

I always felt I got a lot of use out of my soundelux U195. Front of kick, drum heart mic, guitar and bass amps, some limited vocals...lots of the stuff you mention. Even used it as a stage recording mic to great effect ( I used to do parallel mic setups for show recording for my buddy's band). It has pad and filter options, but is single pattern. Not a lot of dough used either; I think I got $700 for mine when I sold it.

always wanted the Lawson FET body but never had the extra money to pull the trigger. Bet those are great...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 am

My first thought is Audio-Technica 4047... Not top tier in price either, which is really cool! You can get a pair for less than a lot of other mics too!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 am

I have a Lawson FET 47 that i like a lot, it would probably be great for the uses you mention. For vocals and often guitar cab, i often choose a red type B with a violet design vin-67 cap instead. To my ears, the vin-67 capsule is more natural, less hyped. Less "neumanish" i guess.

In a similar vein, the Neuman tlm 102 is also a nice mic for the applications you listed.

Although it's a dynamic, a Beyer M-88 might also be a good choice. Really benefits from a good pop filter though.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:02 pm

The Beyer M88 is really god for this so long as the singer doesn't cup his hands over the mic. That can be "game over" type situation for the mic, as the M88 isn't too happy when blasts of air enter the back of the windscreen. I know from experience. But it is generally a really good-sounding mic for this kind of thing.

The Lawson L47FET, which is a wonderful mic, can also be good for this with the pad engaged if there's not already too much midrange presence in the singer's voice. The Lawson can accentuate that stuff and make it a bit "peaky"-sounding sometimes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:30 am

I'm in the same situation, which is why I am selling all of my AT mics at the moment B/S/T in order to take the plunge into something specifically for vocals. I'm personally thinking vintage Microtech Gefell UM70s, however I'm no so sure that will work for you since you need something for higher SPL screamers. I did track vocals this weekend through a UM70s (note: I borrow my buddy's and if this is what I end up with we will combine ours so that we have a pair), but I did so in combination and in phase with a Shure SM7b (the mics were arranged side-by-side). I ran both through CAPI VP26 preamps, and I sent the UM70s through my dbx 160X for some extra protection. A little training for the singer to step back during the louder parts really was the ticket to making things work. We ever set up a 414 B/ULS behind these mics and out in the room to pick up some extra room sound for the louder parts. Anyway, the UM70s really shines on most of the singers that I have used it on. I really love this mic. It also sounds great as a room mic, overhead (I've only used it in mono), ac gtr, strings, percussion, pretty much everything. Which is why I am thinking that it is such a no-brainer to get my own.

However, like everyone else, I am looking at all of the suggestions here in this thread to see what else is out there.

Also... I just sold my AT 4047 (I know I know... I'll buy another one down the line), and it could handle high SPLs like a champ.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 am

I prefer the SM7 to condensers for higher-pitched screamed vocals. Perhaps it's just the people I've worked with, but I've never found the added detail to be helpful. I've been happy using my Langevin CR3A on low-pitched vocals (gutturals or shouting).

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:15 am

Thanks for the feedback, folks! I have heard good things about the m88 for screamers though have never had a lot of luck myself. Maybe I just tried it on screamers it didn't really work for.

The Lawson got bid out of my price range, so I finally pulled the trigger on a Latvian Mouse. I guess wanting it for more than a year probably meant ishouldhave bought it by now anyway.

Should have it in time for a session next weekend. Stoked to try it out. Might try it on bass cab first. Band is tracking live, so can only really try it onone instrument and vocal this time around. We shall see.

Still lusting after the Lawson and I have wanted a 4047 for sometime now. Soon!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:36 am

The M88 def needs a pop filter for loud stuff.
I've been wanting a Mouse for quite a while, but i never have the cash when they show up cheap...

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:50 pm

@cgarges, the Lawson FET has a pad?
I don't think mine does... :oops:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:59 pm

Yep, -10 or -20.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Mine def doesn't. I guess there were different models?

Edit: Unless it's inside the capsule?

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:59 pm

I think it's underneath near the connector.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:14 pm

Nope, i just took mine out of the swivel mount for the first time. Nothing there.