new pc rig, new daw, some basic questions

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

new pc rig, new daw, some basic questions

Post by chovie d » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:11 am

I would like to make the move to a system with a few more inputs, and I need a new computer also. I am also strongly considering moving from Tracktion 3 to protools. I'm not well versed in computers or daw setup and have some questions.

Do I need a dedicated PC? music only? Id really like to use one computer for everything I do, which really isnt much.
Do I need two hard drives? one dedicated to music only?
Do I need a mac or can i stay on PC?
Will i need outboard gear like preamps? I liked the sound of my interfaces virtual preamps and amp models...
Will i need firewire ports?
does protools require a dedictaed interface? it cant....but maybe they have their own prefered brand or vendor?
do i buy all this stuff bundled or separate?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

heres a little info about my current setup and my needs:

My current system:
Dell Dimension 8400
Windows XP 2002
Pentium 4, 3.00 Ghz, 2.99 Ghz 1 GB of ram
Tracktion 3
Line 6 UX2 original version (2 inputs, 2 outputs)
2 Warfdale powered monitors
EZdrummer
2 cheap MXL condenser mics
1 Shure 58
1 Shure 57
1 cheap Chinese (MXL)ribbon mic modded/repaired by Shinybox
1 art ?tube pre? preamp for the ribbon mic
Microkorg for midi controller
I use the vsti synth Cronox, and MDA electric Piano quite a bit.
I use Kontact Instruments Orchestra vsti very rarely. (grand piano, gong, strings)
I use Kjaerhaus classic VSTs (free) for compression, delay, eq, and reverb
I ?master? with a mackie vst called ?Final Mix?
I have a couple stands, and one set of headphones

What I do with that:
Record my own songs, using the drum software and amp modeling, occasionally micing an amp.
Record myself and a drummer, playing live, using only two mics/inputs, then overdub.
Use the computer for everything from gaming to surfing the internet (tho its been obsolete and unusable for gaming for several years now)

What I would like to do with the new setup:
Record my own songs, using the drum software and amp modeling occasionally micing an amp.
Record myself and a drummer, then overdub. It would be nice to get more definition on the drums (cant hear the kick sometimes with my one mic technique, etc)
Record a group of 4 or more musicians (2 guitars, bass, drums) playing live in my space(a full band).
Be able to interact with others?compatibility with others setups. I want to be able to exchange tracks with other musicians/bands, which I CAN do now, Im just not sure im doing it in a way that is optimal.
Use my new computer for everything from gaming to internet surfing as well as recording.

What I don?t want or need to do:
Make money recording other people?s music, or record other people?s music at all.
Record A LOT of music. I wont record every day or even every week.
I do not use loops or write in midi often, if ever.
I do not want a lot of setup time or complexity. What I loved about Tracktion and the Ux2 was its ease of workflow and immediacy.
me make purty musick!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 am

I'm just one bedio-recordist giving you my very subjective opinions here, FWIW.

Do I need a dedicated PC? music only? Id really like to use one computer for everything I do, which really isnt much.
** No, I use my XP computer for everything, altho', if you have the space, time and $, is not recommended.

Do I need two hard drives? one dedicated to music only?
**No, but it's useful for organization, back-up, maintenance and possible security. I run 2 SATA drives (one for OS and one for data) with with virtual drives (partitions) thereon, and then use USB 2.0 drives for back-up.

Do I need a mac or can i stay on PC?
** I'm PC, all the way, everyday.

Will i need outboard gear like preamps? I liked the sound of my interfaces virtual preamps and amp models...
**NO, but they sure are useful and fun!

Will i need firewire ports?
**Not unless you need 'em for some particular equipment.

does protools require a dedictaed interface? it cant....but maybe they have their own prefered brand or vendor?
**I believe Avid is the company, and I have seen that they also market stuff for Digidesign and M-Audoio, amongst others. I'm not a ProTools user, tho'.

do i buy all this stuff bundled or separate?
** Assuming you are referring Pro-Tools, it might be cheaper to go bundled.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:33 pm

Hi,

"I would like to make the move to a system with a few more inputs"

How many more inputs? 8, or more?

"Do I need a dedicated PC? music only? Id really like to use one computer for everything I do, which really isnt much."

I have been using Macs, but I'm a "pro". As to PCs, there are only a few which really do work well for audio work, mostly custom builds, nothing really "out of the box". I might be mistaken, I am suer someone here can guide you if you want a PC.

"Do I need two hard drives? one dedicated to music only?"

Yes.

"Do I need a mac or can i stay on PC?"

Pro Tools has always been more stable on a Mac.

"Will i need outboard gear like preamps? I liked the sound of my interfaces virtual preamps and amp models..."

Since you said you need more inputs, and use Pro Tools, you will need a newer interface, which would mean not using your old one. Some audio interfaces have microphone preamplifiers included in their design.

"Will i need firewire ports?"

Yes. And today, there is also Thunderbolt which is the new generation of interfacing peripherals to computers. Preferably get an interface with either FW800 or both FW800 and Thunderbolt.

"does protools require a dedictaed interface?"

Not anymore. From version 9 and upwards, ProTools can use third party vendor interfaces. However, it limits to 32 ins and outs if you go that route.

"it cant....but maybe they have their own prefered brand or vendor?"

Avid makes their own hardware. And they also have a list of other mfrs. who are compatible with their DAW.

"do i buy all this stuff bundled or separate?"

That is up to you. Avid does sell bundles of hardware with Pro Tools.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:30 pm

thanks for two very helpful replies from two very different users. how cool. 8)

Nick , i think id like 8 inputs. I could probably survive on 4.
I almost never record a full band, but would like to have that option.

this is kind of overwhelming for me.Ive kind of been frozen into inaction because of that.

thanks for your help!!
me make purty musick!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:58 am

Most interfaces made in in the 2000s were firewire based, which is a drag in the PC world, because PCs don't do well with firewire. The good news is that firewire is on its way out. The bad news is it's being replaced by USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt. Your XP machine may or may not have the former - you need to check - and it certainly will not have the latter, ever.

If you do have firewire on your computer, check that it's Texas Instruments based by going into the Device Manager and checking the name of the device. If it's a TI chip you're golden. You can get one of the older firewire based interfaces, which are cheap and abundant. Check out the PreSonus, Echo, and Focusrite brands, among others. Hell, TASCAM even.

If your box supports USB 2.0 I'd consider getting one of the USB Tascam boxes. They're dirt cheap and work just fine. In my opinion you'll do better with USB than firewire. Just my experience working with PCs. Firewire has been a pain in my ass.

Finally I'd recommend trying Reaper before you get sold on Pro Tools. In my opinion there's one major reason to use PT only (okay, two). 1) You want compatibility with other (bigger) studios so you can transfer sessions between your home and another place; 2) You want to learn PT for career-skill reasons. If not that, try Reaper. The learning curve is a little steeper at first, but it's a much, much, much less resource-intensive program (easier on your computer) and in the long run is way user-friendlier, more affordable and more forward-thinking than Pro Tools. PT has been a huge thorn in my side over the years. It's not for us bedroom guys. It's only really stable in the HD realm, which we can't afford. Fuck em.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:33 am

"1) You want compatibility with other (bigger) studios so you can transfer sessions between your home and another place."

this is the reason I thought I'd like to make the switch

I'm definetly a small time home recording hobbyist, however I play in bands that use professional studios from time to time.
Perhaps Im placing too much importance on this...
me make purty musick!

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:01 pm

chovie d wrote:"1) You want compatibility with other (bigger) studios so you can transfer sessions between your home and another place."

this is the reason I thought I'd like to make the switch

I'm definetly a small time home recording hobbyist, however I play in bands that use professional studios from time to time.
Perhaps Im placing too much importance on this...
At least try Reaper. It's free to try, forever, and if you like it, it costs $60. The time it takes to download, install and get running is about 2 minutes total. You'll spend half a day minimum getting PT to work.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:38 pm

I tried Reaper a long time ago and did like it. I absoutely love my current DAW...Tracktion 3.

the issue is, i need to be able to interact with professional studios often enought to justify using a daw that wouldnt be my first choice.

Im sure reaper has come a long way since ive tried it, but probably if i wasnt going to go PTY, Id go to tracktion 4 because I love the workflow, simplicity adn am familiar with it.
me make purty musick!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 am

chovie d wrote:I tried Reaper a long time ago and did like it. I absoutely love my current DAW...Tracktion 3.

the issue is, i need to be able to interact with professional studios often enought to justify using a daw that wouldnt be my first choice.

Im sure reaper has come a long way since ive tried it, but probably if i wasnt going to go PTY, Id go to tracktion 4 because I love the workflow, simplicity adn am familiar with it.
Avid Pro Tools.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:10 am

Sad but trooouuaaah.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 am

Bro Shark wrote:Sad but trooouuaaah.
+1

PS I love my ProTools HD rig. Was not cheap,but paid for itself long ago.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Bro Shark,
People are running Thunderbolt on PC's successfully. Check the UAD forum for details.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:56 pm

mrc wrote:Bro Shark,
People are running Thunderbolt on PC's successfully. Check the UAD forum for details.
Wow! Good to know, thanks. I doubt OP's XP box could handle it... could be wrong though.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

I think it's pretty much win 7 and 8 appears to be the better system for it. Just a few motherboards and only Intel processors so far. At least the door is opening. I switched to 7 a couple of years ago, even put 8 on my wife's desktop, she's liking it now.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm

8... yuck. I'm tired of Windows. If I can swing it my next box will be Linux.