Latest gear I've acquired.....

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Latest gear I've acquired.....

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 pm

A NOS Tama King Beat kick drum pedal...

I really like the King Beat, it's got a cam under pressure instead of a spring under tension and a piece of metal to connect the pedal to the beater shaft. Great feel, IMO.

to match the one I've had since the 80's and facilitate my first ever actual double bass drum kit in 35 yearsish of drumming. Granted it's my little rumpus kit, but that actually makes it even funner to play.

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Coolio Carl.

Hey, have you thought about blue sparkle heads for the black toms? That would be pretty outrageous...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:07 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Hey, have you thought about blue sparkle heads for the black toms? That would be pretty outrageous...
I've actually thought of blue sparkle toms for the black toms, but I didn't know you could get blue sparkle heads?! They would probably just hypnotize me, or something. I am a drummer, y'know.

Not to hijack my own thread or anything, but how would you people mic that kit with 2 sdc's and an LDC at your disposal? I'm thinking find a spot peeking over each kick's resonant rim that's equidistant from the snare and aimed at the snare for each sdc, and then find the spot for the single OH, same distance from the snare as the sdc's, that compliments them the most. But I haven't tried it yet.
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:01 am

All I know is that looks like a 8) room to play in!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:02 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote: Not to hijack my own thread or anything, but how would you people mic that kit with 2 sdc's and an LDC at your disposal? I'm thinking find a spot peeking over each kick's resonant rim that's equidistant from the snare and aimed at the snare for each sdc, and then find the spot for the single OH, same distance from the snare as the sdc's, that compliments them the most. But I haven't tried it yet.

put the LDC in front of the kit between the two kicks pointing at your gut and back a foot or two. Might want to squash that a little too. Put the SDC mics in spaced pair above the rack toms. Adjust from there...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 am

vvv wrote:All I know is that looks like a 8) room to play in!
That's my living room bitches! Where else are you gonna put your rumpus kit? I'm gonna try recording it on my daughter's cassette 4-track.

I need to haul up my external pres to do that (for the phantom), which is why I haven't already.
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:57 pm

FWIW, a cuppla years ago I haunted Ebog for a remote phantom-power box and got a 8 mic Peavey job for like US$35.

I've never used it, but I got it ... :twisted:

Here.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:34 pm

I saw some used (Tascam, I believe) phantom boxes that were 4 phantoms per RU, but I couldn't remember at the time what I might need such a thing for.
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:13 am

That is one of the side-effects of medicinal oregano, y'know. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:19 am

Too much Cannadential you think, VVV?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:14 am

Is that even possible? :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:17 am

BTW Snarl, if ya look here, you will see a similar ball - just how big is yer dog?

(Some might think that question rather personal, but we make good music together so it's aiight.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 am

I believe the particular dog that toy was boughten for is in the 70 lbs range. We've got 2 in that bracket and my daughter has a Corgi puppy who is (and will probably remain) 25 poundsish.

Is that your dog on the cover?

By the way, I only listened to the first song, but that shit is wild. I bet people dig that shit live. If they can wrap their heads around it. It really is too bad about the kick. Totally lost on my speakers. The full "nu-metal" click kick would suck equally in this context, but just a bit of attack would be nice. There's a lot of low-mid muck and rumble that's very nice, but a bit of percussive definition in there would make it even nicer, IMO.
Carl Keil

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:32 am

BTW - I just impulse bought a Tascam M1600 on eBay for $375 buy it now. The ad said free shipping with Buy it now, but it still "rang up" as $425. The guy is throwing in 4 dsub to rca snakes that he says makes things really easy to repatch the recorder in and out without repatching. I've never had a dsub [audio] anything before. I'm kindof stupidly happy about the prospect of having an analog board with real faders and copious i/o back in my basement.

I really need someone to buy my DA7 and Tascam MX2424 combo now. :oops:
Carl Keil

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:14 am

Lotsa kibble, eh? Lime pit in the back yard? :twisted:

Drummer's dog; drummer who in another thread I kinda blamed for the kick sound based on his insistence on mic placement and the use of a Yama stage kick with 2 heads, a 4" hole and no dampening. I spent hours on the drum sub-mix, still ain't happy and ain't set-up for drum replacement ... :x

Congrats on the board! 8) Pics when installed, please? What are you gonna use as the recorder?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.