Check this out, DAW and drum loops?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mikethomasmusic
audio school graduate

Check this out, DAW and drum loops?

Post by mikethomasmusic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Hello. Just wanted to run by some thoughts regarding utilizing drum loops in DAW's. I did just download the new Logic X, however I am currently still using Logic 9. I moved not too long ago and wasn't able to take my drum set with me. So I'm still sort of new utilizing drum loops for DAW recordings.

A couple of things since I'm somewhat drum loop ignorant. I know most loops these days utilize digital sampling and can sound pretty realistic. But, I was wondering if there are any tips,tricks, or suggestions that would help make some of the acoustic drum kit loops in logic sound even more "real deal", so to speak? Maybe certain effect or EQ setting suggestions? Or specific effects to use?

Lastly, I play/track pretty much all of your standard rock instrumentation. Rhythm and lead guitars,bass guitar,keys,drums,vocals and so forth. Since not having my drum set I basically have been recording fully arranged with complete instrumentation demos using loops instead of playing my drum kit. I have actually gotten some decent results just using the stock loops in logic without hardly doing any tweaking/editing. Since I am fairly new with the loop thing, I don't or at least haven't yet gotten to the point where I am meticulously editing the loops as far as shaping them around songs by adding things like:perfect cymbal hits,drum fills, and dynamics. As far as I will usually get will be a basic dynamic like a phase in the song. And with that I will just cut out part of the loop where I want the pause.

So since I am not really editing or tweaking the loops, to specifically form to a song, there is only so much variation I'm going to get by only using the stock loops pretty much as is. Basically I record a lot of songs and I've been able to make several of the same stock loops work with several different songs.

So, I need more loops. But what I am looking for are logic style downloads that continuously loop once added into logic. I have come across a lot of free or share ware loops that I've downloaded but they never seem to work right for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or not adding them correctly into logic, (although I followed step by step video directions)? Some of the loops don't seem like loops that will continuously loop like the stock logic loops? Is it maybe because these loops need to be programed first? I'm sure there has to be straight forward loops out there that don't need programing?

It seems like general net searches for loops bring up thousands of places. So, I'd love any specific sites, places/recommendations to where I can find more continuously looping logic style beats? I mostly use various acoustic rock,pop,,hard rock, and even some country loops. However I also like electronic grooves as well, as I like mixing acoustic instruments like guitars and piano with electronic beats. So I'm open to suggestions for a lot of different loops. Thanks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:04 am

Buy these:

http://www.thelooploft.com/

They are massively cool.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.