Interface for iPad and Auria

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Meriphew
deaf.

Interface for iPad and Auria

Post by Meriphew » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:59 am

I'm looking for an 8 channel interface for recoding on my iPad using Auria. I've been considering getting either the Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, or the Presonus 1818 VSL. I'm not concerned too much with preamp quality, as I already have an assortment of high quality pres. I'm leaning towards the Focusrite unit, because it doesn't have a wall wart, and the units seem somewhat similar other than that.

I'm planning on using the iPad/Auria/interface for running some backing tracks during a live show.

Anyone else recording on an iPad with Auria? I'm open to any thoughts/suggestions/advice.

Thx!

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 am

I've done some recording with Auria and a Presonus 1818vsl. It requires a powered USB hub as well as the Camera Connection Kit for the iPad. I've used it for tracking some live shows, from 8 to 15 tracks (with another interface providing ADAT in) at 24/44.1. Ran just fine.

I've since sold the Presonus and use an Apogee One. Great little interface for recording myself.

If I were going to get an 8 channel interface, I'd go with the Scarlett since it doesn't require a powered USB hub--one less thing to plug in and worry about failing.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:51 pm

dgrieser wrote:I've done some recording with Auria and a Presonus 1818vsl. It requires a powered USB hub as well as the Camera Connection Kit for the iPad. I've used it for tracking some live shows, from 8 to 15 tracks (with another interface providing ADAT in) at 24/44.1. Ran just fine.

I've since sold the Presonus and use an Apogee One. Great little interface for recording myself.

If I were going to get an 8 channel interface, I'd go with the Scarlett since it doesn't require a powered USB hub--one less thing to plug in and worry about failing.
Hey thx a lot for the info. I didn't know that the Presonus required a powered hub. That makes my decision a whole lot easier.