what Reverbs are you using right now?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:10 am

I have pretty much been using the AKG BX10 spring for almost every single thing I mix. The combo of that, a roland SRV2000, and a PCM70, along with a few resonant/crazy/wrong spings I have used for years and I am pretty set. I also really like the UAD EMT stuff (plate and 250), and of course, Sean at Valhalla just rules it on the verbs. I use shimmer and room all the time. Like ALL the time. :)

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:53 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I have pretty much been using the AKG BX10 spring for almost every single thing I mix. The combo of that, a roland SRV2000, and a PCM70, along with a few resonant/crazy/wrong spings I have used for years and I am pretty set. I also really like the UAD EMT stuff (plate and 250), and of course, Sean at Valhalla just rules it on the verbs. I use shimmer and room all the time. Like ALL the time. :)
Joel I'd be interested in knowing what patch you find yourself using on the SRV-2000 and PCM-70 the most...
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

The Real MC
steve albini likes it

Post by The Real MC » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:43 am

Eventide 2016 (pair)
Lexicon model 200
Lexicon PCM60

I get a LOT of mileage from them

No-Fi
ass engineer

Post by No-Fi » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:33 pm

the original fisher reverb a la king tubby, a nice tube spring reverb, recently had it refurbished its never sounded better, its THE dub sound

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:05 am

I have an in progress song/mix happening where I wanted to hear some reverb on the rhythm guitar and drums. I put the PT Air reverb on an aux channel and I'm really digging how it's working. There's a heavy guitar in the bridge where I've already automated the last chord to go to it too. The other stock reverbs haven't ever stayed on a track, but this one is...

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:40 pm

We have a really great EMT 140 with Martech electronics we bought from the Grand Old Opry (they decommissioned it after the flood) and that's the only external reverb I use. In the box, I really like the UAD EMT 140 & 250, Ocean Way Studios, and the PSP SpringBox. Occasionally ValhallaRoom or ValhallaVintageVerb gets used for hall or more 70's/80's Lexicon sounds.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:37 am

RE-501 Chorus Echo, EHX Memory Man w/Hazari, Peavey Ultraverbs 1 and 2 every now and then for those dense 80s and reverse sounds, but mostly a 20x6x10 cistern with a monitor at one end and an omni at the other.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:33 am

Darlington Pair wrote:a 20x6x10 cistern with a monitor at one end and an omni at the other.
that sounds pretty fun. how big of a speaker?

had a crazy idea a couple years back to attach drivers and pickups to a 200 gallon natural gas tank like sets in the yard - they sound pretty interesting when struck/ sung at, i was thinking pressure level might vary the impulse response. the problem being they are leased from the gas company.
Village Idiot.

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am

floid wrote:
Darlington Pair wrote:a 20x6x10 cistern with a monitor at one end and an omni at the other.
that sounds pretty fun. how big of a speaker?

had a crazy idea a couple years back to attach drivers and pickups to a 200 gallon natural gas tank like sets in the yard - they sound pretty interesting when struck/ sung at, i was thinking pressure level might vary the impulse response. the problem being they are leased from the gas company.
Right now I have a Realistic Nova 10 driven by an amp I took out of a tube Roberts reel to reel in there. I've tried all sorts of stuff, recently I kinda wanted a somewhat trashy sound with drum and vocal reverbs panned hard and used a Kalamazoo Model One guitar amp I've modded. It's on tracks 1 and 4 of this http://eccohollow.bandcamp.com/album/mu ... n-sobriety be nice, I'm just a radio astronomy R&D tech with a bunch of cobbled together junk in his basement. The first track does have a Ludwig Phase II Synthesizer clone I build that I'm pretty fond of.

If I were using a gas tank, I would strap a couple contact mics to it (which I've done with some HVAC duct leaned up against an amp for a contact mic themed comp I was on) and drive it with one of these http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... r--300-375 like a plate reverb. Just an idea, I'm sure the sound would be fun.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm

that's some gnarly verb you got there.
Village Idiot.

Darlington Pair
takin' a dinner break

Post by Darlington Pair » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:16 pm

floid wrote:that's some gnarly verb you got there.
It can and usually does sound more natural, but for some reason I felt like I wanted it dense and gnarly, so that's what drums and vocals sound like into a 4 watt tube amp and 10" speaker pushed a little hard.