Cheaper Tube Mic's

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Cheaper Tube Mic's

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:26 am

Aiight, so I been indulging my passion/addiction/GAS/OCD with buying mic's for a while now, and have accumulated some tube mic's.

In order of preference, on my vocals:

M-Audio Sputnik
MXL V69ME
GT MD1B
Apex 460
MXL 9000

A bit of detail: there are no mods except replacement tubes in the two MXLs and Apex. The Sputnik & GT are mini-tubes, and very similar in construction, but the Sputnik just seems to record cleaner, a bit less hyped, with less artifacts. Of them all, the Sputnik is the most natural sounding. The MXL is obviously tube-sounding, a bit hyped in that respect, but musically colorful. I like the GT a lot, just not as much as the first two. The Apex is useable, but a little bright and lo-fi, the only multi-multi-pattern of the bunch, altho the Sputnik has 3 patterns. The 9000 is the most lo-fi of the bunch, and I wanna start using it on guitar & mebbe bass amps, mebbe kick ...

I really like tube mic's, altho' they are a PITA to set up and warm up - what is what I'm waiting as I write this (V69).

Appearance-wise, BTW, I'd rank 'em the same.

It strikes me that I have about US$1,100.00 invested in these 5 mic's (all bought used offa the E-bog), where mebbe I coulda bought a Neumann or a Peluso or sompin', but I like having the various sounds as I find 'em inspiring.

I'm playing with the idear of modding the 460 and the 9000, also ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Those $1100 new Neumann mics are crap.

The question is, what are you missing from your current tube mics?

Also, that you need to "warm up" mics is mostly a myth. I usually turn on my U47s and within 2-3 minutes they are up to temperature and ready to go. My other tube mics I just turn on, setup and go.

If your tube mic needs "warming up" it might also need a new tube.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Try one of there diy kits, they are quite good.

http://www.tab-funkenwerk.com/id96.html

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:01 pm

I haven't really scientifically checked the need for warm-up, just operated on what I've read, so I'll try that, thanx!

And while I can do basic soldering, etc., I lack the cojones to spend a G on somethin' to wreck! :lol:

I may go for the more basic mod stuff from Microphone-Parts.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:10 pm

the sputnik review that appeared in the mag a few years ago was one of the most inspired pieces of gear-centric literature i've ever read. never got around to picking one up, but i love my (solidstate) luna, which i think was in the same design family. i'm with you on the 'more cheap gear trumps one expensive piece.' there's just no such thing as the wundermic, imho.
Village Idiot.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:27 pm

Yeah! Between Joel Hamilton's review and my own experience with the Luna, I had been trying to find a decently priced Sputnik for over a year.

That Luna is very cool; it is, for me, the sound of a transformer - at least that's how I think of it.

I s'pose I oughta complete the hat trick, get a Solaris ... :twisted:

(FWIW,these recent choons feature tube mic's, altho', of course, they are processed in the mix:
MXLv69ME;
Sputnik;
MXLv69ME;
GTmD1B & MXLv69ME;
MXL9000)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:59 pm

I really love my Sterling (former Groove Tubes, now by GC).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 pm

8) I haven't heard that one.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Not that it really matters but I'm not sure I see a point to this thread, or a question, or anything that sparks discussion. Am I missing something?
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:25 pm

Yes.

And for example, didja learn anything in my short reviews of the tube mic's?

Do you agree, disagree, or have some related comment?

Some unrelated comment?

Do you want to try them, now?

Did you read the Joel PATTERSON (I listed the author incorrectly, above :oops: ) review here? Do you have an opinion? I was happy that someone else liked the review itself as much as I, and found it inspiring. See, I'm not crazy! :twisted:

Have you heard the Luna? Like it? If ya heard it, do you agree it's so obviously transformered?

Have you heard the Sterling? Like it? I had never heard of it, am now interested in it ... A little research, and I'm curious about the "disk resonator" - may have to pick up a reg'lar condensor to compare it, hmmm ... Fun ahead!

Any comment re the Solaris?

Any comment re the Nuemanns?

The Tab-Funkenwerks?

Any experience with diy mic's?

Would you bet that kind of money on yer diy skills?

Nick certainly learned me re the non-need of "warming up" tube mic's - here I was bitching about the 30 minutes I was taking to do so (thinking, I s'pose, of guitar amps - which I believe do need warm-up, altho' 15 minutes is often enuff for stability, tho' not necessarily tone) - do you agree with his advice?

Any opinion on the 'more cheap gear trumps one expensive piece' concept?

Do you know of a "wundermic"?

Do you suffer from GAS, as I so obviously do?

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:53 am

Apropos of nothing, but with tubes in mind, I took a punt on the SE ICIS a few years back when it was discontinued and they were selling them off cheap. Been pleasantly surprised at how nice it is as a kit mic on drums, and it's pretty much a permanent part of my '3 mics on drums' set up at home these days. Lots of solid bottom end, occasionally a bit lairy at the top end. Been using more on female vocals recently too, suits some styles and voices better than others, can be a bit sibilant. Very useable on acoustic guitar too.

Only other condenser of note I have is the old AKG 414 B-ULS, which is less coloured than the ICIS (in a good way), but means I tend to turn to the ICIS for 'something different'.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:22 am

Never heard of that one, neither! I'll keep my eyes open ...

Prettiest acoustic sound I ever got was the MXLv69ME on, of all things, a Washburn, in my hallway.

The little ADK SDC was kinda for ambience. It's on this tune, here, actually on both acoustic guitars.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 am

vvv wrote: Nick certainly learned me re the non-need of "warming up" tube mic's - here I was bitching about the 30 minutes I was taking to do so (thinking, I s'pose, of guitar amps - which I believe do need warm-up, altho' 15 minutes is often enuff for stability, tho' not necessarily tone) - do you agree with his advice?

Thanks vvv... and here is a wundermic:

http://www.wunderaudio.com/cm7.html

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:22 am

It's a Wunder that anyone these days has 7 g's to drop on a tube mic.

My Apex 460 with mods and a capsule will do just fine.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:20 am

vvv wrote:Yes.

And for example, didja learn anything in my short reviews of the tube mic's?

Do you agree, disagree, or have some related comment?

Some unrelated comment?

Do you want to try them, now?

Did you read the Joel PATTERSON (I listed the author incorrectly, above :oops: ) review here? Do you have an opinion? I was happy that someone else liked the review itself as much as I, and found it inspiring. See, I'm not crazy! :twisted:

Have you heard the Luna? Like it? If ya heard it, do you agree it's so obviously transformered?

Have you heard the Sterling? Like it? I had never heard of it, am now interested in it ... A little research, and I'm curious about the "disk resonator" - may have to pick up a reg'lar condensor to compare it, hmmm ... Fun ahead!

Any comment re the Solaris?

Any comment re the Nuemanns?

The Tab-Funkenwerks?

Any experience with diy mic's?

Would you bet that kind of money on yer diy skills?

Nick certainly learned me re the non-need of "warming up" tube mic's - here I was bitching about the 30 minutes I was taking to do so (thinking, I s'pose, of guitar amps - which I believe do need warm-up, altho' 15 minutes is often enuff for stability, tho' not necessarily tone) - do you agree with his advice?

Any opinion on the 'more cheap gear trumps one expensive piece' concept?

Do you suffer from GAS, as I so obviously do?

See, I knew I was missing something. Thanks for clearing that up.

I have to admit I'm not much of a tube mic fan.

I did have a 460 modded by Dave at AA once and never liked it...not even a little bit. It probably would have become a wholly different animal with a different capsule, but jeez man...how much do you spend modding a cheap chinese mic before it gets excessive? That's just me though. And I'm not handy with a soldering iron so DIY doesn't thrill me either.

It's fun to have gear passions though. To me, that's half the fun of recording; playing with your toys.

BTW VVV, which model Washburn are you playing in that picture? One guitar that surprised the heck out of me was a Washburn D9 tuned down to A=420. The sound was wonderful IMO. Try out enough Washburn's and you'll always be able to find a winner.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna