Decent sounding, cheap, sturdy tracking phones?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catfish
gettin' sounds

Decent sounding, cheap, sturdy tracking phones?

Post by Catfish » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:47 pm

Decent sounding, cheap, sturdy tracking phones? does such a thing exist?
We need to buy another round of tracking phones for the shop, and the last batch I got sounded like poo.
Want the talent to be comfortable, but hate to spend too much as they will get trashed.
What are you all using?

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 pm

This isn't really advice as i haven't tried them yet, but i plan on trying a pair of Superlux HD662. I have a pair of the open back phones that were cheap and quite decent. I'm hoping the sealed cans will be as good. Fifty bucks on ebay.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 pm

I have a mess of Sennheisser HD 201's. They are decent and fairly easy on the wallet. A little brittle sounding, but as you say, for tracking only, not critical listening. Also, there have been good and bad reviews of the Monoprice stuff, but they are pretty inexpensive and supposedly good.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 pm

In the last thread about cheap tracking phones I posted:
jhharvest wrote:At the TV station where I worked a couple of years ago we tested a few Superlux models. Long story short, I ordered a bunch more of the 662 (for location) and 668b (for edits). For the money they seemed pretty solid.

I sent an email to a colleague asking if the cans have survived. I'll post here if I hear back. Edit: Heard back from them and he said that the pairs have lasted well. Of course this isn't quite the same as tracking conditions but those location shoot cans can sometimes really take punishment.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:22 am

I recently got a set of Presonus HD7 headphones, which are quite good for the money. This same basic style is available from several different brand names, in that chinese-rebranding kind of way. One example is Superlux HD681.

You can get these for under $50 (maybe even half that) and at that price they are a steal. They sound good for the money, would be great tracking headphones.

My only complaint is that a sensitive mic will "hear" the sound going through the phones since they are open back.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

What do you consider cheap? I think Sennheiser 280s are pretty kick ass for tracking and I've had mine for 7 or 8 years without problems, only had to replace ear pads on one pair recently. Unless you're recording cavemen all the time, I doubt they'll get trashed too quickly, but maybe you are. :wink:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 pm

>>>>My only complaint is that a sensitive mic will "hear" the sound going through the phones since they are open back.<<<<

I've hated open phones since the 80's, when I was in radio. Some "smart" operations manager (before me) had the control room and studio decked-out in some cheap open-design Sennhi's. Half the time you'd open up the microphone and get a screaming bolt of feedback directly into the ear canal. Mmmmmm.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:03 pm

I've had a pair of AKG K44's since '01 that are still in awesome condition.

They don't have the audiophile (hi-fi) sound of higher $$ phones but they're closed back, they obviously last, and they seem pretty dang honest to me. Especially compared with my Sony MDR-7506's. Nice, long cord on them too.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Sennheiser HD202PKG
5-Pack of HD202 Closed Ear Headphones

http://www.bswusa.com/Headphones-Sennhe ... P4982.aspx

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:00 pm

I guess i'm reviving an old thread, but i'm moving out of the little studio i was in and back to my home studio (which i'm busy re-configuring to be a better studio, but still a nice place to live) as such, i need some new tracking cans.

So far i've picked up a set of superlux hd669s which seem very nice and sound pretty good. I usually hate closed headphones but i'm ok with these. Also, just got a pair of the new sennheiser 202s, they seem very nice for the money as well. More comfortable than the superlux, but less isolation. Good sound too though. Not sure what i'll try next, maybe the senn 280s?

Suggestions?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 pm

I picked up a pair of CAD mh310's on a "deal of the day" and been pretty happy. They usually go for $60-$70, but I paid under $30. Good isolation, easy to power, solid mids....much less bass accentuation than the Sen 280's I usually use...and a bit less sharp highs.

maybe they'll be on a fire sale again...and you can snag a pair for cheap.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:24 am

I usually use 7506's, but I got a pair of Samson closed-backs thrown in on some deal, and they are surprisingly nice - forget the model but they list at about US$30.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:17 am

I think i looked at the CADs before. I'll check them out. I've never seen the Samsons, but i'll keep an eye out.

Thanks!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:25 am

I think it's these, US$15.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:46 pm

Well that's certainly a great price. I think i must try a pair, thanks!