So, who's getting a Pono?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:29 pm

My understanding is that loudness wars got started with jukeboxes.

The radio explanation doesn't make sense because--though what you say about soft signal and dropouts is true, every radio station employs a chain of limiting, multiband compression, 15 khz lo-pass, etc before the signal heads to the transmitter. these days it's usually in one unit called an "optimod"

ampguy
buyin' a studio

nice article

Post by ampguy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 pm

but there's little new there. my 2004 cd was out in DVD-A on cdbaby.com in 24/192. Derek Shivers(sp?) just asked that I label those clearly, that they wouldn't play on CD players.

When DVD-A was at it's lowest, many were regularly < $10 on Amazon. I still have a Sony DVD-A home unit, that sounds great through old '70s EPI 120 floor speakers.

What is this bandcamp you speak of?
charmingtedious wrote:Here's a blog post on the topic i wrote for my actual job.

If anyone wants to get rid of their DVD-As please send them my way!

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 pm

charmingtedious wrote:My understanding is that loudness wars got started with jukeboxes.

The radio explanation doesn't make sense because--though what you say about soft signal and dropouts is true, every radio station employs a chain of limiting, multiband compression, 15 khz lo-pass, etc before the signal heads to the transmitter. these days it's usually in one unit called an "optimod"
Or, in fact, several Optimods in series, for whatever bizarre reason (yes, really).

Yep, but how long has that been the case?

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:20 am

I think they've been using heavy compression/limiting as part of the standard signal chain in radio since the 50s-60s at least. Orban collapsed it all into one unit sometime in the 70s.

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Post by charmingtedious » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:29 am

(i should clarify, loudness wars on the radio are very real...stations in competitive urban markets apply heavier compression and limiting than stations in less competitive markets because everyone wants to be the loudest station on the dial. But that's done on the station's end; it shouldn't impact what folks are doing at the mix/master stage since it all ends up getting squashed by the Optimod anyway.)

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:10 am

I like the idea of, lets call it, audio-couture being the device and not just the headphones/cables part of the equation. Why not have people with expendable income get excited about music?

If you know anything about consumer spending, it's very much a U-shaped paradigm: cheap cheap cheap consumer goods with massive bells and whistles, and uber-expensive luxury goods. Pono would almost do better to be MORE expensive and elusive.

Having said that, I can't wait to see some start-up tech walking around downtown SF with a Pono in their pocket plugged into some Dr. Dre Beats or $5 earbuds.

Regardless, here are some potential adjectives for future Pono reviews: http://wathifi.tumblr.com/
boobs are life's fountain

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

hi rez players

Post by supafuzz » Tue May 06, 2014 5:45 pm

I did a search today and found some really expensive wav file players on line..how is pono different?? That it plays higher resolution files or are the components of the player hi-fi? Wouldn't make a bigger difference in how it sounds?
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3