Bought a Tube Mic what is Rusting

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:17 pm

Politics

At least you got your $$ back.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

it's not just ebay. A few months ago I bought a used Behringer ADA-8000 (for a mobile rig) from Guitar Center (I saw it online but called the store directly). When it arrived I found that it had clearly been dropped before it was shipped to me but I could not tell from the dinky pictures on the GC site. When I had called the store they told me it was great... none of the analog outputs worked and the digital ADAT output had a loud hum. I took it to my local GC and got a full refund. That part was really easy.

A couple days later it was back for sale on the GC website. :roll: Sorry if you bought that POS too. bunch of idiots....

oh and just in case you thought maybe I was the idiot... nope, I bought another one from a local seller and it worked as expected.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 am

The most aggravating part for me. or one of them, is that whenever I run into these situations, I am inevitably directly, or (as here) impliedly called a "scammer" when it is the seller who is dishonest. And, of course, E-Bay allows it.

I guess that's the E-Bay way, part of the culture of it, along with that "politics" thing.

I have to say, tho', I'm very surprised about Banjo-Mart. You might consider trying to contact whatever headquarters they have with a complaint. Where E-Bay is comprised of a company coordinating sales from individual sellers, Banjo-Mart is the seller itself (assuming a non-consignment situation), and therefore is directly answerable to any lawsuit or law enforcement action and it directly impacts their reputation- they probably wouldn't dig the actions of a rogue store manager ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:18 am

So they ended up relisting it and selling it for $249; "This unit is used and in great condition. There are some minor blemishes on the microphone, but it looks almost brand new.", my fat arse. :roll:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

aspenleaf
audio school graduate

Post by aspenleaf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:48 am

vvv,

I read this thread with horror, because it appears that I am the one that bought this mic. I was waiting for it to be delivered and thought I would research replacement tubes and came upon this thread. I even asked the seller about internal corrosion before bidding because I saw the rust on the pop filter bracket, and he assured me there was none and the mic functioned perfectly. Since he had a 100% positive feedback, I bought it. I haven't received the mic yet, but I sent an email to Larry Villella at ADK and he said he would be most concerned about the capsule. Did you check the capsule for corrosion?

I'd like to stop this guy from simply relisting the mic and selling it to unsuspecting buyers. I haven't contacted him yet, but once I receive the mic I'm going to photograph everything and see what ADK quotes to fix it.

Any advice on dealing with the seller?

Thanks,
Dan

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

:(

I did not check the capsule; I asked permission to of the seller when I saw the problem after taking off the body cover. I received a rather condescending response about the damage I could do if I opened it, "only a expert" and alla that kinda shite.

A expert like theirs, eh? :roll:

If you look above, I relate how I gave 'em a bad review and it was deleted from the E-bog.

I don't know what you can do about this except publish your experience around the forums (this is my only forum where someone might buy it ...)

FWIW, and even while they gave my money back, I was willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt that they got stuck and didn't know better when they sold it to me - especially in view of their dooshy denials, as I didn't think anyone would have the gall ...

But now?

I think they are scum-bag crooks trying to lay off a mic with a serious latent defect while not disclosing same.

As far as dealing with the seller? I'd use a 10' pole and a handgun, me. :twisted:

njmusicplace, folks - BEWARE. :evil:

Good luck to you, and obviously, if I can help ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm

FWIW, I did just put it on my blog and my Facebook page, also.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

aspenleaf
audio school graduate

Post by aspenleaf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:15 pm

Well, it arrived, and since it is here I decided to try it out. This is a seriously good sounding mic, at least for my vocal. I need to try it on acoustic guitar and percussion, but so far, it's a great sounding mic. They obviously cleaned it up considerably since the photos that you posted, but it is definitely the same mic. I have been corresponding with Larry at ADK and he said if the capsule hasn't been damaged, repairs could be reasonably worthwhile, but if the capsule is damaged, repairs would put it close to the cost of a new one. I need to check the capsule, photograph everything in detail and send the photos to ADK to get an estimate before contacting the seller. I'd like to know what the actual value is in it's present state. I am concerned that over time the corrosion can be a problem, even though it has been cleaned. I don't know if they cleaned it properly. ADK will check it over for $70/hour, plus shipping both ways, so I need to weigh that against the purchase price and see if it would be better to return it for a refund or see if the seller will discount the price to cover repairs.
Unfortunately I'm not in the financial position to buy a new one, because I would based on the sound of this one.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:14 am

I like the sound of 'em, too, but if you read above others agreed with me not to risk accepting it, especially in view of the misrepresentations - why reward the scammers?

BTW, they offered me a $50 refund, so you effectively got that plus whatever clean-up they did. Still, I would attempt to get them to pay the ADK charges - love that company, BTW (I have two ADK A-51 V's and the A6 - lovely mic's.)

That said, since they did clean it up, my guess is the red paint that serves as a no-tamper proof has been broken on the headbasket and so you won't be the first to open it up.

FWIW, I couldn't find a like-priced TC so I ended up with a MXL Genesis, paying about US$40 more.

Got it two days ago, used it on a lead vocal track yesterday - best tube mic I ever used.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

aspenleaf
audio school graduate

Post by aspenleaf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:38 am

I know what you're saying. It bugs me that they didn't mention the damage, and tried to cover it up even when I asked. They did do a decent job cleaning it up. If I hadn't seen your original photos, I don't know that I would have suspected that anything was wrong. You can see some photos at my website:

http://dandamicomusic1.homestead.com/un ... 7834826245

Let me know what you think. I sent the same photos to ADK and I'm awaiting their input.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57 am

"... and tried to cover it up even when I asked". At least they are consistent in their fraud practices and general dooshbaggery. :x

Yep, looks like the same mic, alright; and you can see examples of the red "no-tamper" paint I spoke of on the mount ...

Objectively, I'd return it (at their cost, no negotiation on that!) based on the existent rust, especially where it appears on the transformer.

The rust on the structural rails, while unsightly, shouldn't be a problem, unless the chrome continues to flake and gets on the capsule or shorts something.

Is that a mark on the front of the capsule?

I recall some of the solder appeared to be corroding, also, and is that oxidation on the capsule frame?

Subjectively, well, again, I am told I am a bit of a hard-ass - I just wouldn't want to reward their dishonesty.

If they give you 50% back, well, mebbe; keep in mind they offered to refund $50 to me, which would bring my price down to what you paid, which tells me they are still making a profit, which I would not accept as stated above.

Oh, and do tell 'em I said, "Hi." :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

aspenleaf
audio school graduate

Post by aspenleaf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:23 am

I just heard fro the ADK tech. This was his response:

From the looks of it, I would have to disassemble the entire mic to remove the corrosion from the metalwork. I would also re-solder anything that looked suspect and I would have to replace the capsule. Even if the capsule sounds fine right now.
I would guess the corrosion will eventually permeate into the capsule. Capsules are very delicate, even too much spit can ruin them.

I hope that answers your question.

Kevin Dale
ADK Custom Shop
Accusound Custom Shop
253-210-7078

I've asked for a repair estimate, but I suspect that it will be more than it's worth. I sent a preliminary email to the seller informing him of the internal corrosion, the response from ADK, and asked what he would like to do. We'll see how he responds.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am

Capsules are US$150 on up; I would guess mebbe $200-250 here? Merely a guess.

No new tranfo? I'm surprised.

Labor, another $2-300?

Shipping?

Timing?

If you can keep the thing with a refund for US$150 total cost, I would consider it, clean the thing and Q-tip some WD-40 everywhere, and use it 'til ya lose it.

But you should consider it broken, and value it accordingly, whether it works now or not. As above, repair cost is sure to be prohibitive, and it will never last as long as it should have, nor have proper (honest) re-sale value.

That's my $0.02.36, anywhat.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

aspenleaf
audio school graduate

Post by aspenleaf » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 am

Yeah, I have to agree with you. When I buy something, I expect it to have decent resale value, and this doesn't, at least in it's current state. I guess it could have some value to someone that wanted to do a complete rebuild with higher quality components, but it wouldn't be $249.

Haven't heard from the seller yet. I hope this doesn't get ugly. I've never had to use the eBay buyer protection.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:24 am

I'm pretty active as a buyer on the E-bog, about 50 items a year, of which 45 mebbe are pro-audio or music equip (mostly mic's, actually).

I've had mebbe 10-15 issues that became disputes, and "won" all but one (that one I over-reached on).

Just remember that all of your comm's should be thru their messaging system, and that all can/will be read by the 'bog if they review a dispute, so keep it calm on your end, and lay out all the important facts as for a 3rd party, kinda like a judge will read 'em.

In this case, don't be afraid to state you are aware this is the second time this item is being returned, and don't be afraid to accuse the seller of failure to disclose - that should expedite any resolution, probably as soon as you request the return.

Oh, another thing, they wanted me to pay for the return, then said they would, then wanted me to pay for the UPS pick-up - stand firm and make them pay in advance; you are not their quality-control agent, and in this case are, IMO, indisputably the victim of fraudulent sales practice.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.