Bought a Tube Mic what is Rusting

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Bought a Tube Mic what is Rusting

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:03 pm

So I bid on the E-bog and got a ADK TC mic from '07, from a music store seller in New Jersey.

Preliminary power-up and it works fine, I think.

But when I take off the body there's rust on the side rails, rust on the tube holder, the tranny, and various screws. There's also some fine powder-grey corrosion on some of the solder.

The body itself has water-marks where its edge fits into the headbasket - if the marks are to be believed the mic was mebbe laying sideways in about 1/2" of water ...

I emailed the seller for history, etc., and to ask permission to open it and check the capsule because there's paint on the headbasket screws and/or corrosion which will make it obvious if I open it.

What risks do you forsee if I keep this?

Is there anything I can do to prevent future problems?

Also, while the "Turbo-Tube" power box seems 100%, there is rust on the welds of the shock-mount and the screws on the pop-screen.

The case seems fine and there's no smell, as if the thing was caught inna flooded basement, mebbe, and then washed quickly but not quite completely dried, and they failed to take the mic body off or else missed completely cleaning it ...
:?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: Bought a Tube Mic what is Rusting

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm

If there wasn't any warning about rust/water damage in the listing I'd ask for a refund and return it ASAP.
There's a world of cheap condenser mics out there. There's no reason to settle even if it was a deal.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:56 pm

Just looked up the mic in question. Not cheap. Even more reason to return it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:05 pm

Yeah.

I got a good price on it (US$310 shipped) but the seller just responded with some apparent anger, and offensive denial.

Based on that attitude, I'll wait for response to my reply, and then probably demand a refund.

Then I'll probably have to fight about who pays return shipping ... :roll:

As requested by the seller, I sent some photo's as evidence, and here are 2:
Note the rust on the side rails, the tube-holder and glass, the screws, and the powder-corrosion on the solder.

The white stuff is water residue especially visible along the edge where it fit inside the headbasket assembly; the inside of the cover is filthy.

If anyone is interested in the dialogue, I'm happy to post that, altho' I expect I'll again get flamed for being mean to the seller. :twisted:
Last edited by vvv on Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Further evidence that it's not natural humidity corrosion, but from immersion:

The seller, tho', is insistent, "Our qualified electronic technician went over this microphone, with all of its accessories, and everything tested perfectly."

Glad it/he/she is not my "qualified electronic technician"! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:47 am

agree, that looks bad. I'd send it back too.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:20 pm

After the initial push-back, the seller agreed to a full refund and paid return shipping. Good on him.

Of course, I call his shipper, UPS, and they want US$7 to pick it up, so I had to contact the seller again ...

I appreciate his/its situation but for any sellers reading this, please consider why someone in my position is less than thrilled/satisfied:

1. I am not your QC guy to test your item, and I further resent your questioning my immediate report of your self-created problems as tho' I'm scamming (Other buyers have scammed you? Consider: other sellers have tried to scam me, too - or been so oblivious/incompetent/unconcerned/stupid that they have made mistakes at my cost, like you);
2. It is extra work for me to take and upload photo's to prove that your "experienced tech doosh" didn't open your item and check for damage (glad he's yours, I don't need another assault charge);
2. Many of us, with larger items, have to arrange add'l transport after receipt; ex., I had to pay for two cabs to get the item from my office to the train, and back (I ain't carryin' that un-padded-handle case for a mile thru the city along with my other shite, in my suit and tie).
3. In this instance, since your shipper, UPS initially said I don't exist, I had to return a long-distance call to you to confirm my Pay-Pal listed address (tho' you already rec'd my money from that account);
4. I have over an hour involved just in emails/PM's and posting pic's to assuage your baseless suspicions that I am the bad guy (when it was you fucked up);
5. You have had the use of my US$300+ (in this case) for about 3 weeks, at a minimum (Who's the scammer? How about some interest? Go borrow $300 atta check-cash place, see what they charge!);
6. You treat me like the bad guy by refusing to return my money until you receive the defective item you fucked-up in sending in the first place, and I have to wait patiently and trust you to do so (See no. 5, above).

Anywhat, next week? I still want a ADK Tc or like-level tube mic ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:37 pm

Total bummer to get an ADK mic in that condition. Very disappointing.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:46 pm

I know! :(

Lemme say, I have a bunch of mic's, even a bunch of the cheaper tube mic's.

This thing, opening up the body, it felt like a piece of precision engineering, and looked it, too.

Very heavy, very close tolerances - a damn shame it's ruined.

I wasn't kidding, I want another.

But first I gotta get my $ back; UPS to pick-up on Monday.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:19 am

I have ADK's A6 and really enjoy it. Definitely a decent quality build with a simple, clean circuit. Quality transformers, clean wiring, etc.

The weird thing about the A6 though is there's virtually no sibilance when using it for vocals. Freaked me out the first time I used it for vox.

Anyway, great company. I hope you find a replacement.

A tube mic in the same price range as the TC mics that has a bit more of a natural sound is the AA CM12. It's about $100 more but the difference is audible to my ears.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for that, the AA's are on my list, too.

Gotta say, that Tc reminded of nothing so much as a nice handgun, in the sense of its engineering.

I do have a pair of ADK A51 V's, and really like 'em. I know they are just more Chinese LDC's, but they seem very nice in their color, equalled mebbe only by the CAD GCLX3000 in that US$100 price range.

I keep wanting to try 'em on overheads, but drums recording time is so limited I default to the AT4040's, (what are 3x the price, but only just as nice on vox), what are "faster" and somehow more "solid" and "even".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:51 am

BTW, just saw, the seller, njmusicplace, just re-listed this mic, stating, ?This unit is used and in great condition. There are some minor blemishes on the microphone, but it looks almost brand new. The clamp on mount on the end of the goose neck to the pop filter has a bit of rust on it.(See pictures for actual condition)?.

That's an outright fucking lie - don't get ripped off by these scumbags!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:56 am

and in the photo it looks like you can SEE rust on the mounting part of the pop-screen thing.

as a resident of nj I am embarrassed and ashamed.

sometimes the balls of these ebay-ers are impressive. i recently bought a tascam 22-2. it arrived, damaged in shipping. Both spindles and some knobs seriously bent. I could tell that the damage happened after the listing photos were taken - and the guy had great feedback selling many many decks. So, I contact him, sent it back and got a full refund - on shipping too. No complaints.

Thing was re-listed practically before it left my door. In excellent, perfect condition. I'm sure he had to bend those spindles back - or something. But he had no probs keeping the listing description just about exactly same as when I bought it - even after the thing made the journey there and back from florida to NJ - and was clearly damaged along the way. On the other hand - he refunded my money and all shipping expenses without hassle. hard to be too pissed.... but you just never know what you are getting.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:44 am

Besides the aggro and the money tie-up and the fact that the arse questioned my honesty, my return went smooth also.

I guess I was lucky, as the seller clearly has terrible ethics.

Caveat emptor and alla that, but, as a guy with a long memory, I wonder where all the people who attacked me in defense of the poor, misunderstood sellers in my other Ebay posts are now (see here, and here, for example). :twisted:

Also, BTW, I tried to "report" the listing, but the drop-down-box choices don't apply to the condition of the item, so I posted here that no one I correspond with - even the "defenders" - gets bit.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am

Ha! Imagine that!

My negative feedback of the seller has disappeared, altho' my page says "feedback left" so I can't leave it again, and the seller is back to 100%.

Is that because of the refund?

Or because they are a "power seller" or whatever BS title applies?

BEWARE! :evil:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.