tascam 388 L/R assign buss not working

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

towser
audio school graduate

tascam 388 L/R assign buss not working

Post by towser » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:37 am

Hello, new member here...I have a 388, since 1990...great machine. I primarily use it now as a monitor mixer for Digital Performer...question is...my L/R assign buttons have stopped working. When pressed, I get nothing. I now route everthing through the 1-8 monitor busses. I have original manual and schematics. Anyone have ideas? Thanks!

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Shucks, I was hoping someone had a similar problem with their 388, and could help me troubleshoot. I get nothing when the red L/R buttons are pushed. For years they worked, now..nothing.

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:07 pm

After reading through the "tascam 388" thread below...it seems the issue may be on the buss B monitor card. I'll pull the card and see what it looks like....

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Bump....
I still need help with the L/R mix assign buttons....still not working. Anyone? Please...

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm

It's probably a fault on the card.

I haven't used my 388 in years

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 pm

I haven't used mine in at least 15 years...but after 2 decades digital, I want to record with it again. I've calibrated record/repro levels etc...it runs great, sounds great. I'd just like the L/R assign working. I monitor using the 1-8 busses...it's also my monitor mixer for my DAW, and other gear plugged into it. The 388 looks brand new too, very low hours on it. I bought it new.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:29 am

Wait...

Are you using it to mix signals to the computer or to mix from the computer to... another computer?

Only, the L/R assign buttons don't work unless you have the track assign and the rec function buttons engaged as well during tracking (when the input select switch is on mic or line). They only work independent of the track assign and rec function switches in REMIX mode

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:28 am

No. I want to use it again after many years as a stand alone recorder. My DAW comes in line inputs, as does other gear, and I used to be able to hear that gear using the L/R assign buttons, now I have to use the monitor busses to hear those. The L/R assigns have not worked for years...and I've used the busses as a work around. I know about the monitor matrix as I I've recorded with it since 1987...then went digital about 1992...with SoundTools....the precursor to ProTools...then on to Avid AudioVision...now using Digital Performer....I began recording in 1972 with a Sony reel/reel....
I just would like get these dang L/R assign buttons working again.

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 am

Ah right. So check list

Inout Source switch is set to mic or line (depending on what's plugged into each channel strip)

Busses for each channel have been assigned to a tape track. With the pan control turned in the appropriate direction.

Rec Function switches for each track you're recording to are in the ON position

Stereo switch is in the ON position

PGM Masters and Stereo Master faders are both at 0ptimal gain.

Cue/PGM switch is in the Cue position

The Stereo Buss Assign (L/R) switches won't work during tracking unless the channel is assigned to a PGM buss and the relevant Rec Function switch is engaged.

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:02 am

Mark, thank you for posting. Yes...I know. Even as a stand alone mixer, the L/R buttons don't work as they did. I used to be able to monitor my mixer line inputs using the L/R assign matrix...now nothing. I use the 1-8 busses to monitor anything plugged into the mixer...

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 am

Do you have the manual (which includes a very detailed maintenance section)?

If not you can download a pdf. Just do a Google search for it.

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:52 am

Mark wrote:Do you have the manual (which includes a very detailed maintenance section)?

If not you can download a pdf. Just do a Google search for it.
Yes, I have the manual and all schematics...

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Im not sure if you have had the bottom off the 388 yet,but there is a long PCB that runs alog all the channel cards.Carefully look that over and make sure it's seated properly on all cards.There are also alot of connectors in that area too.Make sure they're all connected tightly.

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Yes, I've had the bottom off and looked at the card connections...and reseated the one I could. Things "looked" fine, obviously there something wrong.

towser
audio school graduate

Post by towser » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:01 pm

OK!! Got the 388 stereo L/R buss buttons working! 😀 Turned out to be a bad hex inverter chip on the monitor Buss B PCB. It's the u104 chip. Everything now works great! Thanks to those that posted and offered help. 💃