High output dynamic mic?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

banana brains
gettin' sounds

High output dynamic mic?

Post by banana brains » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Hey there. I am recording with a Tascam 424 portastudio (cassette). I don't want to use any external gear. Just the 424.

The only dynamic mic I have is a 57. I am trying to record acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time. I put the mic back a couple of feet, but the signal is too low and the preamp isn't strong enough to boost the signal to reasonable levels.

I have an RNP, but like I said I'm trying to just use the 424. Anybody know of any decent high output dynamics that might fit the bill for my situation?

Thanks!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:17 pm

I honestly don't think it exists. Some dynamics are louder than others but not by that much. Probably not enough to do what you're after here.
Higher output generally means a condenser mic or running a booster like the cloudlifter between the dynamic and preamp.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks Dave. Is a cloud lifter just a set level preamp?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Also, dynamic mike outputs (or any mike output) are different because microphone impedances are not universal either. That's why a good external pre, or other devices as ADM mentioned, can be so helpful.

Are you giving yourself artificial limitations just for fun, or...??

If you don't want to use your Really Nice Pre, and you're willing to buy a "higher output dynamic," why not just get another 57, stand, and cable and have one mike for voice and one for guitar?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:47 pm

Just trying not to fuss with gear. I've been having fun lately focusing on songwriting and listening to it without contemplating making it sound better, sonically speaking. Just trying to keep having fun really. As soon as I start contemplating good sonics, I stop writing and start screwing around with things that I haven't been enjoying much lately.

i'll return to the other stuff, no doubt, once I'm tired of listening to cassette taped gibberish. ;)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:09 pm

How about a battery-powered condensor?

I have, for example, a dreaded C1000S, and also a MXL 1006, and some Shure BG 4.1's that are battery-powered.

I think CAD E-100's are; there are others ...

Or you could get a phantom-power box: ART makes a cheap one, for example; I have a Peavey that powers 4 mic's I paid about US$25 for on the E-bog.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:50 pm

I wonder if a different transformer (or another one, in series) would lift the volume of the 57. Taking the stock tranny out (and not replacing it with anything) sure lowers the volume by a whole hell of a lot.

The thing is, I don't the diaphragm is very sensitive, that's not its thing, so if you pull it back a couple feet, you got the inverse square law to contend with, and there's really no second chance for that sound wave to make a first impression on the mic diaphragm.

You could try putting the mic equidistant between the sweet spot on the guitar and the sweet spot on your throat, but close in. Tape over the vents behind the diaphragm to make it more omni.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:00 am

If you're determined to go with one dynamic mic on this, maybe go with a different polar pattern, like an omni?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 am

soupdejour wrote:Thanks Dave. Is a cloud lifter just a set level preamp?
The cloudlifter is an inline pre-amp/booster. It gives you an extra 25db of gain, runs on phantom power and is pretty invisible sounding. I use mine on ribbons and quiet dynamics like the SM7 to make them usable on quiet sources.
You'd likely need an external phantom power box to run it with your 4 track.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 pm

thanks for all the replies. i appreciate it.

i read up on the cloudlifter device and it does look like i would need a phantom power box to power it. Then I thought it seems silly for me to go buy a cloud lifter and a phantom power box when I have an RNP sitting there unused.

I think I better just stick to using a 57 straight into the tascam. Otherwise, I'm right back to thinking about the recording process, all tangled up in cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:02 am

I would suggest finding a used audio-technica 8035 shotgun mic, they can be battery powered.

they work great with cheap 4-track preamps. very nice on vocals an acoustic instruments, but good on quiet electric guitars and percussion too.

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks OttObot, I'll look into the 8035. I ditched the idea of trying to do a distant micing thing. I don't have the tools or skills to make that work right now. I was screwing around tonight with a 57 close mic'd on the guitar and using an EV767 on vocals. Pretty good results actually. I'm really surprised by the preamps on the tascam. I had it in my mind they were unworkable, but they are not awful. Actually can get the job done.

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Tue May 27, 2014 10:49 am

a battery powered PZM might do the trick

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Tue May 27, 2014 3:27 pm

There shouldn't be a problem with low level on your mic with the Tascam.
I have a 424mkII, 246 and 244 and they are pretty loud with the mics plugged straight in.And this is with a 57 or 58. I can get the needles to pin to the point where its too much volume.