Logic 9?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

charmingtedious
alignin' 24-trk

Logic 9?

Post by charmingtedious » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:43 am

I'm currently running Logic 8, and I'm interested in upgrading to Logic 9 instead of Logic X. Partly because of the operating system, partly because I like my plugins.

I have two questions.

1) Am I crazy?

2) Where can I get a copy? Is Ebay my best option?

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Crazy sure, resistance IS futile...

If you can't afford the time or dollars to upgrade your plugs to 64 bits which I think Logic X requires and is why you are worried about them, or those plugs have discontinued, then if you can find some disks Logic 9 should work.

And, depending on your cash flow now versus the future, it might make sense to hold off for Logic 11 and when you have new OS / hardware..

My fear about the new much lower than they used to be app store pricing of Logic X and FCPX ( FCPX is like $300 now whereas Final Cut Studio used to be well over $1000 ) is that Apple will continue those offerings' discontinuation of upgrade pricing. Next version, if you bought the previous ones three months ago or less. FULL PRICE FOR YOU!

I have a relatively old but Intel Mac Pro with a pretty good amount of RAM and I like the latest OS and Logic X just fine but I never did anything in Logic 9 having used the sound app that came with final cut studio.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:40 am

To be fair, the FULL price of Logic X is a lot cheaper than the UPGRADE price used to be, so even with Apple obviously discontinuing "upgrade" pricing, we're still all coming out well ahead. Same goes for FCP.

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:27 pm

analogika wrote:To be fair, the FULL price of Logic X is a lot cheaper than the UPGRADE price used to be, so even with Apple obviously discontinuing "upgrade" pricing, we're still all coming out well ahead. Same goes for FCP.
I agree we are coming out well ahead, PDFs of the good documentation work on my iPad very well and pretty much all that is lost is the documentation..

They are saving a ton on distribution selling direct to consumer so the price should come down... I will most very probably anti up without too many complaints as I like the current versions of logic x, fcpx and finally the latest compressor works well too. But, if I had bought version X 7 weeks before they released XI and they only gave a kickback for people who had bought 6 weeks previously or whatever I would feel a bit unhappy.

Meanwhile, Microsoft and Adobe are going with monthly subscriptions... I have avoided signing up for those thusfar.
- EP "Built Some" released 12/13/13
http://willmomusic.com/

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:42 pm

WillMorgan wrote:
analogika wrote:To be fair, the FULL price of Logic X is a lot cheaper than the UPGRADE price used to be, so even with Apple obviously discontinuing "upgrade" pricing, we're still all coming out well ahead. Same goes for FCP.
I agree we are coming out well ahead, PDFs of the good documentation work on my iPad very well and pretty much all that is lost is the documentation..

They are saving a ton on distribution selling direct to consumer so the price should come down... I will most very probably anti up without too many complaints as I like the current versions of logic x, fcpx and finally the latest compressor works well too. But, if I had bought version X 7 weeks before they released XI and they only gave a kickback for people who had bought 6 weeks previously or whatever I would feel a bit unhappy.
In the past, calling up support has often enough resulted in a certain leniency.

And honestly, when has this NOT been the case in the last decade?

People who bought the full Logic Pro package a month before Apple announced the next upgrade and applied a retroactive grace period for free upgrades have ALWAYS felt stiffed. And this goes for ANY software package. And hardware, for that matter.

The difference is that these days, you're feeling stiffed over 180?, when it used to be 400? upgrade pricing, or 270?.

And support people are still as helpful and friendly towards gentle enquiries as they always have been.

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Fri May 23, 2014 2:38 am

I don't think you're crazy. Newer=better? - whatever. Use what you have. If you change you will have to spend time, money and nerves to have what you have now + X. I used to run Logic 6.4 until january and recently switched to Logic 8, which I got from a shop who had it lying around. Took me two days just to make everything work together, update plugs and whatnot. Then I noticed that Logic 8 acted erratic and sported weird CPU spikes that made me want to quit Logic because the octo core machine actually had less firepower than my old dual G4.. until I got around to this:
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/ ... olve-this/
The prices for Logic 9 on evilbay or any other place should be low because LPX is cheap, spend some time with the search engine to find a brick-and-mortar store who still got a copy in the cardboard box. They will be happy to find someone who still wants to buy it.
For those who like LPX: Yes, my machine can run the newest mac OS - and I still don't give a toss. My kind of work can be done within 10.6.8 and until further notice apple can kiss my behind for a few reasons.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 23, 2014 9:58 pm

I have had Logic since 4.8.1.

Logic 9 SUCKS ROYAL ASS.

So, stay with 8, just make it stable for your mac... don't run other software at the same time, etc etc etc...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:I have had Logic since 4.8.1.

Logic 9 SUCKS ROYAL ASS.

So, stay with 8, just make it stable for your mac... don't run other software at the same time, etc etc etc...

Cheers
That's funny.

I found Logic 9 much more pleasant that 8, and less buggy too (for my use).

gregovertone
takin' a dinner break

Post by gregovertone » Mon May 26, 2014 5:39 am

on my rig, logic 8 was buggy and inconsistent.

sadly, logic X is too.

logic 9 is pretty much perfect.
www.gregsguitarlessons.com
Guitar Lessons & Studio

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Mon May 26, 2014 7:20 am

gregovertone wrote:on my rig, logic 8 was buggy and inconsistent.

sadly, logic X is too.

logic 9 is pretty much perfect.
This mirrors my experience. Meanwhile, I do prefer working in Logic X by now.