MALATCHI PM 54 ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

elam
studio intern

MALATCHI PM 54 ?

Post by elam » Mon May 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Hi all,
That's my first post and I'm coming to you with a hard one.I recently bought 2 Malatchi units from the mid 70's.That x2 4 channel mixers in a 1U form made buy Malatchi Electronic System from Denver,Colorado.

I've found almost NOTHING online,except that Jim Malatchi was the founder and main tech behind the brand.He was into "modular system",basically offering a "buy what you need/can afford and upgrade later"...

They seems to be popular in theater audio setups too in the Colorado area in the late 70's and that they also made some pres,full consoles,lighting systems,speakers ... plus a couple of post where people talk ish about Malatchi in general.

So, what I got exactly with me is x1 PM54 and x1 PM54E-C.The first one powers up but got some very low gain at the output and this output seems mounted backward (0 being the max).

The other unit don't power up... The goal is to put them back to life and use them.

Is there any wise-man around here who got memories about those or even better some schematics or internal knowledge of these mixers (other than they sucks,throw them in the dumpster or any constructive comment like that...).

Let me know !

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Tue May 06, 2014 6:50 am

Pictures pictures pictures

elam
studio intern

Post by elam » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 am

Of course.Here's a couple.Ask for some specifics...oh wait ...I can't upload pics directly from the board...

Give me a couple of hours to uppload them somewhere else and link them.I'll be back at you.
[/img]

elam
studio intern

Post by elam » Tue May 06, 2014 5:22 pm

Here a link to 24 pics to familiarize yourself with the beasts ...
I'm not a tech (at all!) but at least what I can see is that the PM54 has 4 tranny in and one out, the PM54EC seems transformerless...

There's a strange "5 pin" connector to connect units ... plus other exotic components... Some switches on both units PCBs...

I let you dig in and gimme your impressions and knowledge....

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7jou32vf6834egj/fH-ZpzSArC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue May 06, 2014 6:16 pm

It's really dark and hard to tell (especially on an iPhone!), but I think your "strange 5-pin connector" is just a type of DIN-jack.

I'm sooo Not an electronics tech, nor do I know anything about your mixer, but I immediately Googled it last night after your post, and I was going to leave a message here. Anyway, now I have: if you go to beyondsanityproductions.com (sounds familiar and I don't know why-- someone right here on the board, perhaps?), you'll see on their gear-list page that they have a couple of the same model Malatchi mixers as you do. There is also a contact page with e-mail addresses. I'd start there, and see what info I could get from other owners...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

elam
studio intern

Post by elam » Tue May 06, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks Gregg,
I thought the pics were pretty usable :(

As for Beyondsanityprod, I already send an email to RodC.A week ago,plus a couple of PM.That's the 1st thing I did actually.

You're right he's a Tapeop board member, DIY extraordinaire and got a couple of great mod. tutorials here and on his website.

NO answer yet.I'm planning to hunt him as he have several websites,In the meantime I'm asking around here to see if people have some "hands on memories" or just could give me some advice looking at the pictures.

If anyone got trouble watching the pics,Let me know I'll photoshop them for you.(But yeah Gregg,iphone is not the best device for that).

Thanks.
If anybody has a clue,I'm all ear...

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Wed May 07, 2014 6:31 am

I don't know the Malatchi at all, but the A-67J is a respectable input transformer, same as used in the old Spectra Sonics consoles. Check that connector carefully for any markings--you might find a manufacturer's name or possibly a part number.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 am

I bet it sounds great overdriven....the fabled The "Malatchi crunch".

Very interesting... Fender amp esthetics.

elam
studio intern

Post by elam » Wed May 07, 2014 8:00 am

I spotted the A-67J in my electronics ignorance and trace them to the old Spectrasonics too.Good to hear that they're "respectable" at least they big ;-)

the fabled The "Malatchi crunch".
I don't know if it's ironical or not... but if not,did you heard about this brand before ?... or this particular unit ?

As far as overdriving them unfortunately I can't now... As I said in my previous posts,one don't even turn on and the second got something wrong in the "gain structure" for a lack of proper wording.

I was just able to pass a signal tru it (output was very low).The sound is definitly 70'ish.That's what I was looking for.Dark,high end roll off and has a nice amount of low mids added...

But I wanna hear them "back to life".With their full tone.

The 2 EQs seems to be nice too...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 07, 2014 8:02 am

I believe "Happy Days" references are against the Tape Op TOS. You have been warned!

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

elam
studio intern

Post by elam » Wed May 07, 2014 9:02 am

I believe "Happy Days" references are against the Tape Op TOS. You have been warned!
:wink:

Check that connector carefully for any markings--you might find a manufacturer's name or possibly a part number.
Thanks for the tip.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 am

norton wrote:I bet it sounds great overdriven....the fabled The "Malatchi crunch".

Very interesting... Fender amp esthetics.

elam
studio intern

Post by elam » Wed May 07, 2014 10:06 am

Yoooo! Don't start folks ! I need real info here ! :lol:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 07, 2014 4:41 pm

Well, here's all I remember about it then: It was this one episode (might have been a two-parter?), where Fonzie and his ex, Pinkie Tuscadero, get involved with a demolition derby race. I think the dudes were actually the _Villachi_ brothers, not "Malatchi." Anyway, they used to gang-up on opponents and crash into their flank, which was called the "Villachi Crunch," IIRC. Many episodes later, the fetching and mellifluous Suzy Quatro co-starred as Pinkie's rockin' little sister, Leather Tuscadero...

Oh, waitaminute; you meant info on the mixer??

GJ
Gregg Juke

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 pm

Oh, hey, it was Mallachi!

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/season4.html

:wink: :lol:

GJ
Gregg Juke