Outputs from Duet recording on to tape?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CBA713
ass engineer

Outputs from Duet recording on to tape?

Post by CBA713 » Sat May 31, 2014 7:57 am

Hi there. Continuing my "old-timey" bedroom 424 recording quest, my friend and I were discussing recording MIDI drums from Logic onto 4-track tape.

I have created a MIDI drum track, and was thinking of using the two outs on my Apogee Duet and plugging those into the input of the Tascam 424. I plan on recording it in mono, so I would select "Mono" on the master track in Logic, and then perhaps use a y-cable for the Duet outputs.

My friend says that I would need to find a way to "lower" the level of the signal coming out of the Duet... perhaps "de-amplifiying" it. Does that make sense?

I figured I could just run it out from the computer through the Duet into the 424 and it would be fine.

Any suggestions/help is always greatly appreciated!

Your humble ass engineer,

C

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Re: Outputs from Duet recording on to tape?

Post by numberthirty » Sat May 31, 2014 11:16 am

CBA713 wrote:My friend says that I would need to find a way to "lower" the level of the signal coming out of the Duet... perhaps "de-amplifiying" it. Does that make sense?

C
Just give it a try. If it is an issue, you can take it from there. If not, you can just keep on truckin'.

CBA713
ass engineer

Post by CBA713 » Sat May 31, 2014 1:06 pm

UGGGGHHH I know I should just do it and not think twice! :)

EVERYTHING works in my head, without all the technical stuff.

Ok word!

Thanks,

C

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:34 am

I think you're over complicating this... If you're getting a mono signal from logic, all you need to do is take the signal from EITHER L or R (since they should be exactly the same) and send that to your tascam. Then just adjust output level from the duet until you get a good level on tape. No y cables necessary.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

CBA713
ass engineer

Post by CBA713 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:00 pm

That I can do.

I guess I figured I'd be missing something in the signal, but that doesn't make any sense, really.

OK!

Thanks again.

C