Recording drums on a fostex 280

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kvnwoodruff
audio school

Recording drums on a fostex 280

Post by kvnwoodruff » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:14 am

Hello,

I just picked up a fostex 280 4-track cassette recorder, and I'm very happy to finally have my hands on something even remotely analog! I am getting ready to record some demos for my band, and want to use the 4-track to record drums and possibly 1 other track (probably bass playing live with the drummer). By recording the drums and bass together, I am hoping to get a semi-live feel to the recording. After recording these four tracks, I plan on dumping them into my DAW for overdubs, mixing, etc.

My question is:

With 3 tracks for drums, in a pretty good sized room, how can I get the most mileage out of the tracks? I'm thinking bass, snare, and an overhead, but maybe placing mics a little bit further out to pick up more room sound?

Thoughts? suggestions?

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:58 pm

I'm sure there have been wonderful drum sounds tracked with three mics but keep in mind you could run however many mics through another mixer and then send that output, say a stereo output, to the fostex. Might as well commit live and save the bounce.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Right ^^^^

If you're limited on mikes, however, you could use three in the way that you described, which has worked well in the past, _or_, just as nicely, stereo overhead and kick drum.

With a good stereo picture, you can almost get the sound, but then on playback, you start lamenting that you can't turn-up the snare, or EQ it separately, etc., etc. But a good stereo pair with a bass drum mike will get you 80% there (depending on the drummer and the type of music... Oh, and the mike selection, and, the drums).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:43 pm

While I know I've said this sort of thing elsewhere recently, trial and error is your buddy. Take stock of the gear you have access to. Work up possible recording methods. Try then out and see what gets you the closest to what's in your head.

Are you aiming for a particular drum sound?

kvnwoodruff
audio school

Post by kvnwoodruff » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:51 pm

I definitely want to be able to edit the tracks later. Even when I am not limited on tracks, I don't go crazy on mics...maybe 5 max, but it definitely depends on the situation.

As far as what i'm using to mic the kit? Currently, I'm using an 8" speaker to pick up the kick, instead of using a dedicated kick mic, and I've been really happy with the results. Using an sm58 near the snare, about 12" away (to hopefully give it a slightly more-distant sound). overhead, I'm using an EV dynamic...not sure of the model, but it's got a similar feel to a 58 (but maybe a little more boomy). Not super happy with the overhead, and wondering if I have something that might be better. I've got a handfull of other dynamics, and a couple of condensers (although I'd prefer to stick with dynamics). I also have access to other mics, that might be of use.

Any reccomendations or ideas for an overhead that will pick up darker tones of cymbals, and still add to the attack/room sound of the kit?
?Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.?

― Hunter S. Thompson

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:06 pm

List of what you have(and potential loaners)?

kvnwoodruff
audio school

Post by kvnwoodruff » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Ok, here's my short list of mics:

sm57
sm58
EV n/d 257b
akg d4400
pvm 520i
samson r11
pvm 520i
2x AT 2020's

and as mentioned before, I have a 8" speaker being used to pick up the kick.

A good friend of mine has a nice selection of mics, some of which he might let me borrow. Off the top of my head, I can't remember the model's - but I could check with him. I definitely agree though - the best way to find the best combination is trial and error.

Thanks for the input thus far!
?Anything worth doing, is worth doing right.?

― Hunter S. Thompson

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 pm

If you like your setup and want to start with dynamics, try the pvm 520 as the overhead.

I've had a decent bit of luck with it in some "Don't use a kick mic on that!" applications.