Dumping Pro-Tools for Reaper

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Dumping Pro-Tools for Reaper

Post by Drone » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:52 pm

So I plan to reinstall my studio PC, and I don't plan to reinstall PT M-Powered (v 7 I think). What's the best way to export my old PT sessions so I can open them in REAPER?

I'm not too worried about keeping fades and the like, as long as the audio is all in order.
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:50 pm

If you haven't already decommissioned the PT PC, I would use PT to export all of your tracks as WAVs or AIFFs. I can go into further detail if you want.

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:00 am

You could give this a go:
http://www.aatranslator.com.au/

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:27 am

Yes, I haven't re-installed it yet, I wanted to have it to export the sessions. So just plain WAV/AIFF per track files is the best way to go?
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:42 am

Reaper can use a lot of different kinds of files, but WAV or AIFF are your best bets as far as what PT can export. I don't remember exactly how, but at least in PT9 it's pretty easy to turn off all fx and panning, zero all the faders, and render each track as an audio file, with each file being (this is the important part) the same length. Before doing this, I would also type the track number into the name of the track if PT doesn't auto-number them for you, so when you start your reaper session, you can "insert -> media file", select all of them, and reaper will generate tracks in the order you want.

ps make sure that your Reaper project settings call for the same samplerate as your files, or you might lose a bit of processing power because Reaper(god bless it) doesn't complain and automatically resamples files on the fly if necessary.

I have PT9 for the sole purpose of getting projects from other studios into Reaper, and it's not as tough as I initially feared. But when projects leave here, lookout! My customized project-exporting toolbar makes preparing any sort of stems or rendered tracks SOOOO EEEEAASSYY! It's the perfect blend of automated and hands-on for my workflow. Long live Reaper.

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:01 am

Haven't really got into it yet.

My workflow is record in Audacity, export as multiple WAV, import into REAPER for mixing.

Pro-Tools was just to weird for me to get into, even with the REM recorder guys book, and others it's illogical to the extreme.

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:18 am

Drone wrote:Haven't really got into it yet.

My workflow is record in Audacity, export as multiple WAV, import into REAPER for mixing.

Pro-Tools was just to weird for me to get into, even with the REM recorder guys book, and others it's illogical to the extreme.
It's weird. It must be relative to what one learns on because Pro Tools seems logical and quick to me and every time I try another DAW I want to pull my hair out. But whatever works and whatever tool you're comfortable with is fine in the end.

If you just need to get audio files out of Pro Tools you can just consolidate the audio files from the same start point and you can use those files in reaper or whatever. Though I've been out of the game for a little bit and there might be other ways of doing this.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:11 pm

crow wrote:...and render each track as an audio file, with each file being (this is the important part) the same length.
They don't have to be the same length, but it really helps if they all start at the same point. If one track starts at bar 1 beat 1 and plays halfway through and then ends while the next starts halfway through and goes to the end, you want to render the silence leading into the second track, but you don't really need the silence at the end of the first.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:10 pm

At the risk of oversimplifying things, how did the tracks wind up in Pro-Tools?
Did you record into Pro-Tools?