Proud new owner of a 1968 Scully 284-8 formerly of A&M??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

FollowFarnsworth
ass engineer

Proud new owner of a 1968 Scully 284-8 formerly of A&M??

Post by FollowFarnsworth » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:56 am

Hey guys!
I recently joined this group as I decided to merge my love of music and gear into recording my band's debut album completely analog. Another story for another time perhaps...Anyway, I sold off the gear that we had in order to buy a too good to be true deal. I found a listing in Idaho Falls for a 1968 Scully 284-8 one inch eight track deck and 5 boxes of tape and a Quantum Audio Labs QM8 mixer. The guy said it was formerly owned by Del Shannon and that after Shannon's death his father went to the funeral (apparently was a friend?) and had been told to get some recording equipment that Del had. So, he brought it back to Idaho Falls and began recording. This person passed away earlier this year and his son was moving to Denver and couldn't take it with him. He was asking for $1,500obo and told me to offer him something as he had already sold it but the guy who bought it was killed in a car crash before he could pick it up!! I offered $500 knowing that it would cost double that to get it here.
Sooo
I just received the deck itself and it is in very good condition, as it turns out it is a SYNCMASTER model. But, the boxes of tape and the remote has been "lost" by the carrier... The deck has a tag on the back of it that says Holzer Audio Engineering Van Nuys California. From what I gather Howard Holzer was the engineer who originally designed and built A&M studios. I also read that from 1968 to 1971 A&M used a Scully 284-8 and after 1971 the opted for a different manufacturer. So, I believe that there is a chance THIS Scully is the same one that I have seen in pictures with Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, and James Taylor in front of.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm

there is a Yahoo! group devoted to Scully machines. Strongly suggest you join, as you will more than likely need the help of that group to keep your machine running. There are some Scully users here, but not too many with the kind of specialized experience you can get from the Yahoo! group...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

FollowFarnsworth
ass engineer

Post by FollowFarnsworth » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Thanks! I actually joined last month, I had been on the hunt since another local guy scored 4 Scully machines unaware of how much I had been looking. My tech is very familiar on them and we are working on getting her up and running right now!
I should note that our analog studio is in WV and I am unsure if there is any other facility like it in the state.
Cheers
-Chris