I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:09 pm

Booo. Didn't notice that!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:26 pm

Should be easy enuff to roll yer own, actually.

I gotta wonder about the quality of the jacks in the Rean, at that price.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:11 pm

I don't understand the point of this box. Insert cables aren't that expensive and with this box you need a TRS to TRS to feed it from the insert point and then a couple of mono cables or a stereo pair to connect whatever you're patching in.

Seems easier to use an insert cable.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:43 pm

If I'm getting it right, you'd go
mixer insert trs out -->rean trs in-->rean mono out -->outboard -->(optional outboard 2) --> rean in

It would mebbe make it easier if you are chaining outboard pieces?

Or, and more likely if you are not "patching in" but looking to use the inserts as a direct out:

mixer trs out -->rean trs in-->rean mono out --> tape (or interface) in

So, if you are using the inserts as direct outs, the trs from the mixer to the rean would be cleaner as it patches to the tapedeck or interface, without the return of the trs to y cord just hangin' around, and you'd have an easier time if you did want to use the insert as a insert instead of a direct out ... ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:08 am

rhythm ranch wrote:I don't understand the point of this box. Insert cables aren't that expensive and with this box you need a TRS to TRS to feed it from the insert point and then a couple of mono cables or a stereo pair to connect whatever you're patching in.

Seems easier to use an insert cable.
hey, who cares if it is useful. just buy it.

in other news...i didn't really read what your message said because your avatar put me in a trance. Ha Ha.

anyway, it appears as if it is a miniature patch bay.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:00 am

I mean, it could be useful any time you want to split out TRS to separate TS cables. Use it to get dual mono from stereo on TRS, or to combine any two signals onto a single TRS. Insert cables work, of course. Consider, though, that maybe sometimes you want 1/4" TRS on end and dual RCA on the other, or dual 1/4" to stereo 1/8", or imagine if you wanted the TRS to go to a 1/4" on one side and an RCA on the other... You could use adapters, but I would trust an actual cable mush more.

That said, I have one of those cheaper patchbays where you can just unscrew the one nut and the individual module comes out. I use those little fuckers for everything! Extend a pair of 1/4" cables...split any 1/4" input to any two outputs... Pretty sure it would take a couple of strategic cuts on the PCB on one of those to make a single module from this RANE thing. The patchbay had 24, so if you made 8 of them you'd have 16 others left. You could then use each of the modules where you actually need it, or just stick them back in the patchbay, label them carefully, and rack it up.

Edit - nope! It would take a couple cuts and the least bit of soldering. The easiest way is probably to tack the T to the R together on the switched side of the "extra" (bottom front in half-normalled mode) jack. Then cut both of the "front-to-back" R connections. This way you just need a solder bridge, so there won't be a wire running across the board waiting to get snagged and broken. I usually wrap the things in that blue painters tape to keep them from shorting to anything, but less moving parts is better.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:55 am

casey campbell wrote:i didn't really read what your message said because your avatar put me in a trance. Ha Ha.
My work here is done.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:37 pm

This would be nice if you constantly need to patch inserts into a smaller console.
And you did not own a patchbay.
And your console had TRS insert points.
And you had your console somewhere difficult to access the rear end.
And you did not mind having to patch your compressor or whatnot each time to a different channel, for whatever reason.
And did not mind a bunch of cables / 8ch snake hanging somewhere conspicuous.

Otherwise, this is a reverse gender insert cable, x8.

And yes, Rhythm Ranch, you avatar is mesmerizing.

:alien:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.