500 Series recommendations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Sammigz
alignin' 24-trk

500 Series recommendations

Post by Sammigz » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 am

I'm in the market for a nice preamp setup.

Considering the 500 series route. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would want to get at least 2 preamps (to have for overheads). And I would also have to buy a chassis.

Budget is about 1500-2000. What do ya think?

Im torn between 500 series and solid state also so if you have any feedback on that it'd be appreciated. Thanks!
HP s5-1110, Windows 7, Intel core i5-2500k CPU@303GHz, 8GB, 64 bit OS-
StudioOne Pro 2.6, Tascam FW1884 & FE8, Focusrite MKII Dynamic, Presonus Monitor Station, Oxygen49-
M-Audio BX5a's, Equator D8's, Audio-Technica ATH-M50's-

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 am

most of the 500 series is solid-state... maybe you meant rackmount? but there are a few tube options for 500 too. that may play into what you decide on for a 500 chassis.

I have a 500V (10 slot) and I recently bought a new 500-8B (the 8-slot lunchbox). In between I've owned the 4B (4-slot), the 6B (6-slot), an A-Designs 500HR (2-slot), and a Radial Powerstrip (3-slot). all of them worked well but as i expanded (or reduced once...) the number of modules I had, I changed around a bit.

I think the Lindell 6-slot is probably the best bang for the buck today, but read the forums as there are some known issues with some modules.

btw, I'm selling a Radial Premax (pre and EQ) really cheap here on the FS forum... get another and it would be great for OH's although my personal fav on OHs in the A-Designs P1 (but costs more).

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:40 pm

I think if I was just getting started with preamps I'd be tempted to go with a couple of Warm Audio TB12s or TB12 500 if you want the 500 series.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:23 am

The Golden Age 500 pre is a good bang for the buck too - although the cost doubles if you want to add the EQ (and then it take up anther slot too). but the preamp is pretty decent for $269 (today's price).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Mixwell
pluggin' in mics

Post by Mixwell » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 am

Check out the RASCAL Audio TWO-V, its $1289
its extremely versatile with regard to gain staging different tones,
http://rascalaudio.net/files/two-v_cutsheet.pdf
Adam J. Brass
www.DSPdoctor.com
Pro Audio Dealer
adam@dspdoctor.com
(1) 866 988 9111

"Where High End is Still King"

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 am

TONELUX.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:59 am

Not as obscure-boutiquey, or weird gadgety, but the API's are really handy. They sound good with every mic I own (tube, ribbon, dynamic, SDC, LDC) they're just solid, versatile and kind of expensive.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm

I love the API 512C for overheads and Neve 1272s with brighter mics. There are a number of versions of API and 1272-type preamps available in the 500 series that would be terrific for overheads and a number of other uses, as well. In fact, I used a 512C today as a mono overhead mic pre with a U87 in cardioid over the kit.

For racks, the Purple Audio Sweet Ten is pretty much unparalleled in features and stability. It's expensive, but it sounds great and allows for A TON of options.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:21 am

I've been a pretty big fan of the Brent Averil rack/lunchbox. 6 spaces, however the power supply is solid and can power 2 of the racks. Also, when I need to do location recording, my stuff is protected in whatever hard case rack I load them into, unlike a lunchbox that can't be mounted into a hard case.

I am a huge fan of the CAPI VP26 preamps. I have 4 of them over here, 2 of which I own, and 3 of which I built. Super rewarding project to DIY. I am planning on picking up another 2 channels of VP26 this fall, so that I own 4 of them myself, with another pair to borrow when I need them. All 4 that I've been using over the past 2 years have the "Red Dot" op-amps, however the new ones that I'm building will have the GAR 2520s for a different flavor. Everything that I have worked on since 2012 has had VP26 all over it (check out the Creepoid s/t and the Northern Arms debut).

I love the sound of APIs, and before I had the VP26 pres I was borrowing a rack of four BA 312s from a buddy. Solid preamps (had the original racked API cards with the original API 2520s), but I feel that the VP26 preamps are way more versatile, sound better IMHO, and are like 1/3 the price DIY.

There are so many sick options for 500 series right now. We're living in the golden age of affordable, great-sounding versatile gear. My advice is to try a few things, find something that you really like, and buy a pair or 4 channels of them. This way you can cover a lot of ground with a cohesive sound, but obviously have room for options.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 pm

I keep wanting to try a CAPI VP26, but the kits never seem to be in stock.
I'll probably just wind up with a built up one from ebay. The price is still reasonable.

I also plan on trying a hairball lola at some point...