Gear Reset

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Gear Reset

Post by ott0bot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:32 am

So...I've been considering starting over with my set up. Just selling everything (except a few vintage pieces), and buying all new gear.

I figure I'll have about $4600 after selling my gear, even all low-median prices, so I'm ruminating on what to buy. Considering 500 series this time, but also rack and console options. I have a good idea, but I'd love opinions.

I need a new interface (FireWire or thunderbolt) that can accommodate preamps for at least 10 inputs, some with quality DI's, a stereo or dual mono comp, and stereo or dual mono eq. I will be getting a new mac soon, so don't take that into the equation.

If you had $4600, what would you buy?

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Gear Reset

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:12 am

ott0bot wrote: If you had $4600, what would you buy?
I like my UA Apollo 16. The Antelope Orion 32 is nice too depending on your workflow. I like 500 gear too (see other threads).

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm really happy with my Orion, for a personal studio, the Antelope ZEN might be the ticket, as its got preamps (12 I think).

What are you recording and how? Is it just you, working one part at a time? Do you record full ensembles, full drum-sets?

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:48 am

drumsound wrote:I'm really happy with my Orion, for a personal studio, the Antelope ZEN might be the ticket, as its got preamps (12 I think).

What are you recording and how? Is it just you, working one part at a time? Do you record full ensembles, full drum-sets?
I record part-time as a semi-hobby, but I get some professional gigs here and there. I'm usually producer/engineer/mixer...and record at my house as well as on location. Full bands, overdubs, voice over, mixing for films..etc. Plus I record my own music when I have the time (read: hardly ever).

Definitely full bands & drums occasionally. usually it's scratch tracks for vox & guitar, using my nicer pres for the drums, then lots of overdubs.

I have a fully functioning set up with a digi 003, lynx Aurora 8, pair or summit audio 2ba-221's, ua 710, pair of Pm1000 channels, presonus d8, pair of summit tla-50's, RNLA, RNC, plus some vintage reverbs, delays, and what not.

The logic of the "reset" being this: I bought all this stuff piece by piece over several years...but feel like I could have made some better selections, especially on the preamps. Definitely want to get some transformer based gear live Neve or API-style, as I've borrowed gear or worked in studios with them and always been happy with the results. plus, I don't have an actual eq, and I really want something physical, I hate always reaching for the plug-in eq.

Sooo...I was hoping to see...if you just had the dollar amount, and started from scratch, what would people would buy. Maybe there are things I'm not considering.

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:31 am

ott0bot wrote:Definitely want to get some transformer based gear live Neve or API-style, as I've borrowed gear or worked in studios with them and always been happy with the results.
If you are thinking over 500 series gear, something like this might be a way to try things out on the cheap -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Designs-HR-50 ... 1e8f9d69c9

Once you had it, a few board folks have been happy with the Classic Audio Products Of Illinois preamp -

http://www.customanalogservices.com/vp26

Variations on the basic VP preamps -

http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_i ... cts_id=222

http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_i ... cts_id=423

If it didn't work out, you might get a reasonable amount on resale.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:19 am

I just got a new interface, a Symphony I/O. I think it's pretty great so far.

This spring I set up my first 500 rack. I got an Avedis MA5 (neve like) pre after using a pair at the studio I used to work out of. Pretty great pre, it can really saturate and thicken things up if you want it to. also bought a pair of A-designs EM reds. Very nice pres somewhat in the API vein. the DI on them is very nice as well.

Also bought a Maag 2 which I like a lot, but now I kinda wish I had something with a mid cut. I have my eye on that Radial three band eq, or maybe a Chandler Little Devil ( I love the comp), but the chandler stuff is so pricey...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:55 am

numberthirty wrote:
ott0bot wrote:Definitely want to get some transformer based gear live Neve or API-style, as I've borrowed gear or worked in studios with them and always been happy with the results.
If you are thinking over 500 series gear, something like this might be a way to try things out on the cheap -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Designs-HR-50 ... 1e8f9d69c9

Once you had it, a few board folks have been happy with the Classic Audio Products Of Illinois preamp -

http://www.customanalogservices.com/vp26

Variations on the basic VP preamps -

http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_i ... cts_id=222

http://classicapi.com/catalog/product_i ... cts_id=423

If it didn't work out, you might get a reasonable amount on resale.
thanks for the link, I see quite a bit of those on eBay, was wondering where that design came from. super interested in the 312 clone with DI. For $540...that's hard to beat.

also looking at some non 500 series clones, but weary of resale value.

Have you heard anything on these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231294621957
he makes one with a 16 channel passive summing as well.

a few mentions on GS....but that's about it.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:03 pm

blungo2 wrote:I just got a new interface, a Symphony I/O. I think it's pretty great so far.

This spring I set up my first 500 rack. I got an Avedis MA5 (neve like) pre after using a pair at the studio I used to work out of. Pretty great pre, it can really saturate and thicken things up if you want it to. also bought a pair of A-designs EM reds. Very nice pres somewhat in the API vein. the DI on them is very nice as well.

Also bought a Maag 2 which I like a lot, but now I kinda wish I had something with a mid cut. I have my eye on that Radial three band eq, or maybe a Chandler Little Devil ( I love the comp), but the chandler stuff is so pricey...
I've head a lot of praise for the new symphony set up...but that's going to kill my budget. I have the lynx aurora 8, but for more than 8 i/o, I'm stuck using it via Adat, and then if I'm mixing down with a summing amp, 2 are already used for monitoring. feeling limited, and haaaaate being chained to a 003r.

I was considering an Apollo, love the set up...don't love UA a/d. considered the Antelope stuff, but USB is a no go for my set up...for various latency and USB power issues on my old iMac. Leaning towards keeping the lynx and getting a motu 828mkIII, or aiming for a used Metric Halo.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:29 am

ott0bot wrote:So...I've been considering starting over with my set up. Just selling everything (except a few vintage pieces), and buying all new gear.

I figure I'll have about $4600 after selling my gear, even all low-median prices, so I'm ruminating on what to buy. Considering 500 series this time, but also rack and console options. I have a good idea, but I'd love opinions.

I need a new interface (FireWire or thunderbolt) that can accommodate preamps for at least 10 inputs, some with quality DI's, a stereo or dual mono comp, and stereo or dual mono eq. I will be getting a new mac soon, so don't take that into the equation.

Not knowing what you will keep,

-Get an Apollo16 interface, unless you want to get something less expensive like the new Motu stuff (Motu 16a) thunderbolt. To me the Apollo, it has been around long enough to have some kinks already worked out vis a vis drivers etc. THe difference in price is more about the included plug in processor in the Apollo... 3K vs 1.5K.
-A PATCHBAY, If you don't have one yet.
- With the leftovers, get whatever interconnects you'll need to make the new setup work easily and efficiently.
Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:46 am

I used to have the occasional glitch with my Digi 002r (I don't think they ever really got the drivers completely fixed...) but so far I have not had a single problem with the Apollo 16. I've even upgraded the software several times now.

If you want API (and in the 500 format), also check out a used Old School Audio pre. You can find them here, GS, eBay, etc. in various models and they are nice. Sometimes going very cheap too. I had an API 512 and I liked the OSA better to be honest.

I would not recommend the A-Designs 2-space rack. Not because its not high quality (all of their stuff is great) but because 2 slots will NEVER be enough. I speak from experience. :-) I currently have a 500V (10 slot) and a 500-8B (8 slot). A-designs has great pres (any of them) and I agree the MA5 is great too. Best ever on kick drum and really thick for vocals - actually one time it was TOO much on a female vocal.

The best bang for the buck is probably the Lindell 6 slot, but if you want API (it's good quality), then I think the 500-8B is the best. It sells for the same price that the 6-slot goes for (about $425 new).

Mike
Mike

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:
ott0bot wrote:So...I've been considering starting over with my set up. Just selling everything (except a few vintage pieces), and buying all new gear.

Not knowing what you will keep,

-Get an Apollo16 interface, unless you want to get something less expensive like the new Motu stuff (Motu 16a) thunderbolt. To me the Apollo, it has been around long enough to have some kinks already worked out vis a vis drivers etc. THe difference in price is more about the included plug in processor in the Apollo... 3K vs 1.5K.
-A PATCHBAY, If you don't have one yet.
- With the leftovers, get whatever interconnects you'll need to make the new setup work easily and efficiently.
Cheers
Thanks for the reply. Considering an Apollo...but I don't know if the step down in a/d conversion from my Aurora will be a good idea. I was looking at the Twin...but it only had Adat in...no out...so summing is a no go. The motu, is the only "affordable" t-bolt unit out there with a decent feature set. so it's a stong contender. plus...having no-latency reverb on headphone mixes is nice.

I'm patched and cabeled up to my elbows...so that's covered.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:15 am

digitaldrummer wrote:I used to have the occasional glitch with my Digi 002r (I don't think they ever really got the drivers completely fixed...) but so far I have not had a single problem with the Apollo 16. I've even upgraded the software several times now.

If you want API (and in the 500 format), also check out a used Old School Audio pre. You can find them here, GS, eBay, etc. in various models and they are nice. Sometimes going very cheap too. I had an API 512 and I liked the OSA better to be honest.

I would not recommend the A-Designs 2-space rack. Not because its not high quality (all of their stuff is great) but because 2 slots will NEVER be enough. I speak from experience. :-) I currently have a 500V (10 slot) and a 500-8B (8 slot). A-designs has great pres (any of them) and I agree the MA5 is great too. Best ever on kick drum and really thick for vocals - actually one time it was TOO much on a female vocal.

The best bang for the buck is probably the Lindell 6 slot, but if you want API (it's good quality), then I think the 500-8B is the best. It sells for the same price that the 6-slot goes for (about $425 new).

Mike
yeah...thanks for pointing that out on the a-designs rack...also I've heard it cannot accommodate sealed 500 series boxes. that ain't going to work. would love at least an 8 slot for expansion..but I have line on a cheap radial 3 slot, that may work for a pair of eq's and a single comp or pre.

good call on the OSA stuff, the studio I interned for back in college has a few of those, and they were his go to on vox. they used to be made here in town, but I they closed down a while back. (sadly, along with hafler's shop here).

trying to squeeze every inch out of my budget.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:39 am

the 3-slot is a good start but you will probably outgrow it quickly. :-) The 500 series disease spreads quickly...

I owned the Orion 32 and a Lynx 16 for a brief period before settling in with the Apollo 16 (to replace my Black Lion Modded 002r). I think the Apollo 16 keeps up with all of them. it really sounds great but to be honest most of my tests were at 24/44.1 or 24/48 since I rarely do anything higher than that. so that was the basis for my comparison too.

I got mine used so that helped (otherwise, its the same cost as a new Orion or Lynx). these guys sometimes have open box (b-stock) that are obviously not going to sell for the same price as a new one... http://www.proaudiostar.com/universal-a ... lo-18.html

Mike
Mike