DIY 'bridge' for connecting Electrix half-racks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

brian_nyc
audio school

DIY 'bridge' for connecting Electrix half-racks

Post by brian_nyc » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi, long time reader, not-much-of-a-writer...

I'll get straight to my inquiry:

I have two fantastic Electrix units (EQ Killer & Filter Queen), both half-racks. I would love to rack them but I don't have the connecting piece. If you remember correctly [see image below] there was a plastic 'bridge' so to speak, connecting the units.

F**k trying to locate this one weird part, has anyone tried to build one? Not a perfect replica, but even something simple made out of wood?

Cheers,

B.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:26 am

is there something electrical between the units? or it just fills in the gap to allow for rack mounting? If it's just a fill, then why not get a 1U rack shelf and use the (usually) provided velcro to mount the units on it. now you can rack mount... or sometimes the shelves have lots of holes and something will fit to screw them onto the shelf?

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 am

You can't easily do a rack shelf with these units. They were designed to also be used as table-top units and because of that have an angled bottom, so their faces would be angled back when sitting on the shelf.

It wasn't plastic, it's metal. And wasn't perfect itself - you can see from the photo you posted that, with the joiner plate installed, the two units didn't exactly maintain a straight face, but bowed back at a slight angle.
I was trying to find the dimensions on the Electrix site (or anywhere else), but couldn't some up with anything. If you can find, or calculate the correct dimensions, yes, it would be easy to fabricate something. I'd find a machine shop to do it in metal, but wood could also work.

Last edited by rhythm ranch on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:44 am

Yah its just a little metal piece?I have one sitting here (rackmounted) right next to me? If I didn't have the plastic piece I would certainly just ghetto rig something together, it seems like if you could almost do something with the currently attached rack piece (the part that gets removed when you put the connecting bridge on).
Last edited by kslight on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:51 am

it's hard to tell from the pics exactly how everything ties together, but could a piece of blank aluminum stock w/ 4 holes drilled in it do the trick? lowes sells several widths.
Village Idiot.

brian_nyc
audio school

Post by brian_nyc » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:22 pm

thank you for the replies...

@rhythm ranch: you are correct, re: metal vs. plastic / I have never seen one in person so I was only assuming
& I imagine the dimensions to be difficult to find, unless I knew someone personally who would lend me the piece for some calculations.

@floid: the piece of blank aluminum stock with four drilled holes is an idea. I will consider that and see what develops.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:37 pm

brian_nyc wrote: @rhythm ranch: you are correct, re: metal vs. plastic / I have never seen one in person so I was only assuming
& I imagine the dimensions to be difficult to find, unless I knew someone personally who would lend me the piece for some calculations.

?! You've got the other two pieces, just walk backwards from 19 inches.

2x + y = 19 where x is the width of an Electrix half rack thingy and y is the width of the piece in question. Y could also equal baling wire in this equation if I'm not mistaken.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:32 pm

I've got a uni rack mount 1 u item I bought years ago for this kind of thing. I moved several items on and off, and never had to drill a hole. Look for it or a simple blank you can drill as you go. If nothing else, you could go to W.World and get something to stick it, lots of options, ymmv :lol: by your choice :) If you really like this stuff, I'd just buy a blank, footprint it and drill. Open the case, take out the guts, remove any leg type crap, go to an auto parts store and get some "O" rings that fit the screw connections to those foot/leg holes, set it up to fit right, mark the blank, and drill the holes to fit your attaching screws/whatever, not screwed down solid for some shock absorption. A Lincoln pipe liner 300 welder just might be overkill... but it'll look and sound good doing it, if you decide to make it a hard setup :lol:

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:58 pm

a few more years of 3d printer economy of scale and we'll be emailing each other stuff like this I bet.
Big electrix fan here by the way, still have/use my repeater, filter factory, warp factory and mofx.