New artist trying to understand a record deal contract

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

zen recordist
Posts: 6825
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:30 pm
Location: Bloomington IL

Post by drumsound » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:36 pm

I just glanced the thread, but I noticed that you are offered a contract and say you can't afford a lawyer. I ask, how can you NOT? Without one, you could be setting yourself up for much, much worse financial and legal issues than whatever it takes to come up with a little cash right now.

There's a really well known story about the Goo Goo Dolls. They were young and offered a contract with a small label. The only lawyer any of them knew was the friend of one of their fathers. That lawyer was a real estate lawyer. He read the contract and told them that it was terribly one sided in the labels favor and he suggested against signing. As young musicians the only thing they wanted in the world was a record contract. They signed. They didn't make a dime, and probably lost money. They were locked into a deal with a label that prevented them for doing other things and essentially wasted several years of their career.

Borrow some money, sell a piece of gear, or some furniture, do something so you can get an entertainment lawyer.

User avatar
pushin' record
Posts: 204
Joined: Sat May 17, 2003 7:55 pm
Location: Nashville , TN

Post by xpulsar » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:33 pm

I?cannot agree more with the sentiment of hiring a lawyer to look over this contract.

I have been in this business for awhile now and can say that without a lawyer your crazy to deal with labels.

I would not sign without hiring a lawyer.


User avatar
Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: London, UK

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:55 am

There are several UK / European bodies you could join and receive free contract advice - The Musicians Union, Incorporated Society of Musicians, Music Producers Guild amongst others. Membership fees vary, but the legal advice they can offer is always tailored towards music industry contracts, and has been invaluable for me.

Independent of signing any record deal, you should definitely join the PRS (there's a small fee) and make sure your works are correctly registered. Also join the PPL (free) and again ensure your works and the performers featured are correctly registered. Once your catalog begins to be released, you'll start earning royalties.

On a final note, they state in a reply that royalties will be paid via Paypal. This will cost you money - I'd get that changed to bank transfer if I were you :)

audio school
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 pm
Location: NY, NY

Post by joejoebasso » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:42 am

Hire a lawyer!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests