help me to choose preamps!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musictech
ass engineer

help me to choose preamps!

Post by musictech » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi..
iam interested to buy 1-2 preamps for 500 series.

I have in my mind shadow hills mono gama or warm audio tb12 for coloured sound and dav,daking audio mic pre,aea rpq500 or true systems pt2-500 for cleaner-natural sound.
I already have some preamps but i feel that i haven't found yet a suitable for a neumann u47 fet i own.I have also some other nice mics (milab vip50,neumann geffel mv692 and cascade vinjet ribbon with lundahl.)

could you please help me and tell me which are the differencies in terms of sound between aea and true systems??Which is more natural-neutral but with depth and detail?

Do you think that warm audio tb12 can compete shadow hills in terms of sound??how many dbs of gain does mono gamma has?
Iam looking forward for your answers..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:53 pm

my soundelux u195 fet sounds killer with the DW Fearn VT-2 preamp..dunno if he makes 500 series though..API 512c are the only 500 ones i have and they sound really good with the fet LDC as well but not as good as Fearn's..with the 512c I find the need to use a barrel pad on the XLR output..the internal pad is in the wrong damn place on that preamp imo..internal pad makes it sound much weaker..sweet spot of amp or impedance thing..i don't know but that's how it is..

I heard the great river 500 (two spaces though) also good with fet mics..

dunno anything about the pres you're considering unfortunately..

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:18 am

I'm not sure about Shadow Hills or the others...but if you want clean, Millennia has 500 series, and it's hard to get better than that. Uncolored, pure, transient preserving gain....yet not harsh.

if you want a beautifully colored pre...check out the Burl preamps. The audio equivalent of butter. Daking rules hard too.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:25 am

another great colored 500 preamp is the Avedis MA-5. One of the thickest sounding, biggest low-end ever I've ever heard. I love it on kick drums or anything where you want girth - it's got plenty.

A-Designs P1 (or any of the colors) are very versatile too.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:08 am

I think the Shadow Hills captures the API vibe really well, but also has some additional flexibility. Very rock and roll sounding.

I've used the AEA RPQ and Fossell preamps and if you want high gain, low noise, and quick transient response I think AEA would certainly suit your needs. The built in shelf if great when you want to add a little top end to ribbon microphones.

The Daking is also nice, I've owned a Mic Pre One (pretty much the same as their 500 series) and currently own a Daking Mic Pre IV (similar design as Mic Pre One/500 but with output transformer) and I think they have a more euphoric top end that's great on a lot of things (dig it on acoustic and electric guitars, overheads, cymbals). The hi-pass filter in the Mic Pre One/500 is a nice feature, great for filtering out mud and proximity effect when close micing guitar amps. But, I don't consider these "neutral" preamps.

If you going the Neve route, I think the AML ez1073 is sort of a no-brainer. Compared it to the Neve 1073MB and it sounded better to me, plus you have the full 1073 EQ and they are about the same price. I've also liked Neve's when you want a big low end, my favorite for bass guitar and kick drums.

To sum up:
Neve: Big low end
API: Punchy mids
Daking: Euphoric highs
AEA: Neutral with loads of gain
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:12 pm

So, what is "Colored" vs. "Clean" to the original poster?

Is there a particular sonic example to aim for? Some of the variations on the Classic Audio Products Of Illinois stuff seems like it might be a good bang/buck option.

musictech
ass engineer

Post by musictech » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:28 am

thasnk for your answers...maybe i have to explain something.I ll buy 2-3 premps.1 coloured like shadow hills and 2 more channels of the same clean preamp for stereo recordings.I need a preamp which doesn't colour the sound of my mics,with natural and musical sound.aFTER a a research i did i concluded for this use to dav,true systems pt2-500,aea rpq500 .
So...which one do yoy think is the most natural-musical sounding??

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 am

Anyone know how the Avedis MA5 and AML ez1073 compare to each other?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:45 pm

I think you'd be extremely happy with the AEA RPQ if you go that route. Used True in the past and many preamps that are essentially the same as the DAV (THAT preamp chips) and the AEA stands above those. I even prefer them to Millennias, which I find a little cold and lifeless sounding in comparison.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:49 am

Recording Engineer wrote:Anyone know how the Avedis MA5 and AML ez1073 compare to each other?
I have an (early model) AML 5003d too - which by my understanding is the same preamp w/o the EQ section. I use it on a lot of guitar tracks, for vocals, for a lot of stuff. But to my ear, the MA5 definitely has more of that low-end and low mids than the AML.

I tried using the MA5 with an AEA R84 on a female singer once - it was horrible! Just way to much low end mud between the two of them. But the AML probably would have been fine (it has an impedance switch too...). In the end I used the R84 with a GAP 573 and it worked.

Mike
Mike

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:06 am

I just picked up a Danfield Audio MX20vpr. It uses a THAT 1646 and NE5534's. Tons of clean gain and pretty quiet (still need to test a few different mics though). The reason I mention it is that they are made in Europe (as is I believe, the OP... or is that Athens, GA?) so might be easier to find there (but then again I cannot tell if Danfield Audio is still in business - their website seems to be dead).

Also, AML is in England and I found them great to work with when I ordered mine.

http://www.audiomaintenance.com/acatalo ... ducts.html

Mike
Mike

musictech
ass engineer

Post by musictech » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:26 am

thanks for your suggestions :)

i think that i ll avoid the Danfield Audio MX20vpr as it seems that this company is...closed. :shock:

sean sullivan tell me please...which are the differences between dav and aea?

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:36 am

musictech, before throwing out a list of preamps or recommendations, how about some more info.

What kind of projects are you working on? What kinds of music? What's the space like where you record? How are the acoustics?

What kind of AD/DA converters?

What other preamps do you have? What do you like and not like about them?

Do you have any samples of some music? What's your budget?

I know. Silly little questions. I just ask because we've spent years independently evaluating over 100 preamps in recording sessions. And love seeing people get into the right kinds of gear.

If you'd be up for filling in some blanks on the info, I'd be happy to throw in my 2? on what I think would work for you.

Cheers...
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:29 am

Shameless plug:

For those using preamps based on the ssm2017/that1510 chip preamps I have replacement modules to swap out those parts. It's a hybrid 7/8 x7/8" square pcb that plugs in to replace them. Called the PIP, or the "plug in preamp" it's a very high quality substitute that will lower the noise and THD. Slew rate is 55V/us.
EIN is -133 dbu at 50 ohms. Bandwidth is 500 khz at full (+60 db) gain. Output current is 40 ma and it draws 18 ma. $50 each.

Just "plug it in" and that's it. For designs like Toft and AMEK that use these in their consoles front ends, it also cleans up the line input.

www.audioupgrades.com
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

musictech
ass engineer

Post by musictech » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 am

Dot wrote:musictech, before throwing out a list of preamps or recommendations, how about some more info.

What kind of projects are you working on? What kinds of music? What's the space like where you record? How are the acoustics?

What kind of AD/DA converters?

What other preamps do you have? What do you like and not like about them?

Do you have any samples of some music? What's your budget?

I know. Silly little questions. I just ask because we've spent years independently evaluating over 100 preamps in recording sessions. And love seeing people get into the right kinds of gear.

If you'd be up for filling in some blanks on the info, I'd be happy to throw in my 2? on what I think would work for you.

Cheers...
I mix-produce and i make arrangments for many kinds of music.I need all around preamps which suit with my mics.That's why i mentioned those preamps.I record in a 4x5 m room.it is well made with traps,diffusors etc.
I have a joemeek vc1 brick which i have to repair.i have never heard it with neumann u 47 fet i own.Anyway this preamp is coloured like neve-like so i am still looking for something cleaner-more natural sounding.
I also hae 2 ch of a very nice custom preamp which it just doesn't suit with u47.it colours ther sound on the same areas that u47 is coloured so...it is problem.it is a clean preamp.Finally i have 8 ch. preamps of the maudio profire 2626
I use myter stereo 96 adc converters and hd24xr (with jim williams mod).
All the preamps i mentioned are within my budget...i could spend a little more for each channel for something which really deserves the difference..