Alesis AI-3 *POP* every now and then. Now cuts out often

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

detroitdiesel
gimme a little kick & snare

Alesis AI-3 *POP* every now and then. Now cuts out often

Post by detroitdiesel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:05 pm

Anyone had this happen?

Alesis AI-3 tied via ligtpipe to Motu 828mk2.

So a year or two ago this started making a POP every now and then. It would put a spike in the audio.

As time wen on, it became more frequent.

Most recently, it has stopped passing signal to my DAW (DP). It POPS and then no signal for 20 or 30 mins. Then POP, the signal returns.

Has anyone had this with this unit?

Thanks, DD

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 am

sounds like you don't have the clocks sync'd correctly or its losing sync. Which is master and which is slave? If your Motu is master, then you need 2 of the optical cables connected (both in and out from the AI3 - the IN supplies the clock from the Motu's OUT, the OUT sends your recording signals to the IN of the MOTU. Then make sure they both agree on the sample rate - 44.1 or 48KHz. I can't remember if the AI3 has a switch for that.

if that doesn't do it, then maybe try new optical cables (glass fiber breaks easily if crimped), and/or make sure the optical ports don't have dust and dirt in them. compressed air might clean it if so.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:47 pm

It might be two unrelated symptoms.

Short transient pops are most likely clocking or driver issues.

But the 30 minute shutoff things isn't clocking or driver related?

Does it run hot? Is it wedged in a rack?

Your description sounds like something that overheats, then shuts off, allowing it to cool, eventually coming back to life when it decides it's no longer frying.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Thanks Scum and Mike,

What's weird is that these problems came on slowly over time. All lightpipe connections are there. Clock has been the same for 8 years. Bulletproof.

Im seeking people with this exact unit who are also scratching their heads.

Thanks for your input though.

Big ups to Austin BTW. My sister lives there. West Lake Hills.

Mike, Ill keep you in mind for drum stuff. I might have some clients who need just that.

DD

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:32 am

The Scum wrote: sounds like something that overheats, then shuts off, allowing it to cool, eventually coming back to life when it decides it's no longer frying.
...or maybe exposing a bad solder somewhere on the board. I think Black Lion Audio does mods on these. Not sure if they do straight up repairs? or maybe they could mod and repair at the same time?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:02 pm

this unit was actually modded by BLA. All of my units are. I spoke with Sid at Black Lion and he was very open to finding a solution. I have a few more tests to run and then I may send it to BLA for a bench test. I want to make 100% sure its not the actual lightpipe connection on the 828mk2.

Thanks again fellers...

DD

runrunrun
re-cappin' neve

Post by runrunrun » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:07 pm

do you have both the input and output ADAT cable connected on the AI3? i had a clocking problem when i only had one of them connected a few years back when i owned one.

the AI3 doesn't have its own clock so it needs to take the clock from whatever is connected to it's adat input.

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Yes. All connections are the same. For years and years. it has grown as a problem. Just a few pops before. Then more. Then cut-outs.

DD

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:16 am

I have the same two pieces and fortunately nothing like this has happened with them...yet.
I have had my AI3 tucked right up under my MOTU for a decade without a failure.
If it is a heat issue, you might try opening it up to see if it has accumulated a layer of dust over the years. This can be an issue even in a fairly clean environment because electronics seem to suck that stuff in. The solution might me as simple as blowing out the insides. I have had a similar problem with video equipment and this actually solved the issue. You may also try putting a space between it and other gear and running a fan onto into it to see if there is a heat problem.You might also try removing the top and blowing air into the enclosure...d
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

detroitdiesel

Post by detroitdiesel » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Hey Dino, thanks for your input. I actually contacted BLA and they suggested a full reinstall of DP before thinking it was a hardware issue. I gonna try with my laptop. (with the full software installed since 2007) The racking has been clean and constant for the same time. We'll see

Keep recording good stuff!

DD