Help me choose a mixer for my Tascam 238!?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drasp
audio school graduate

Help me choose a mixer for my Tascam 238!?

Post by drasp » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:07 am

Picked up a Tascam 238 w/ capstan motor issues, replaced the motor/board & it's ready to RAWK!!!

Looking to build a system for tracking my band. Want to make use of all eight tracks. Deck has 8 RCA ins/outs, so my primary focus is finding a board that has 8 direct outs and is built w/ individual channel cards & construction that allows for repairs & mods.

Aware of the usual Tascam M30/M308/M1508 w/ the 1508 being the size/weight champ, and newest, but possibly not as rugged as the earlier Tascams. Also heard a lot of good stuff about the 200/Delta Soundcrafts. What else should be on my radar!?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:52 pm

When I used to use a 238, I had a old monolithic Alesis 1622.

I like it for that, but we are talkin' cheap, unrepairable (well, I did fix some jacks and pots), and not great sounding, but usable.

It's still out in my garage, actually.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Cabling-wise your options may be slimmer without some form of adapters, as well as staying affordable but having modular channels?but alternatively you may consider something like like a larger though usually quite affordable 8 buss mixer, such as Mackie 24.8/Behringer MX8000 (basically the same thing).

This will give you flexibility in terms of monitoring, routing, phantom power, and summing (say if you want to multi-mic the drums but mix down to 2 channels, or whatever), not to mention if you have a dead channel just move past it?

You don't list a budget, but I have to assume because you are using a 238 that price is important?

drasp
audio school graduate

Post by drasp » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Price matters, but I'm not looking for junk. Soundcraft seems like a great way to get a mixer that will have ins/outs that okay nice with the deck AND have some mod/repair potential. Really not interested in any "budget" gear. Have heard some really impressive stuff done on the 238 & think it will be a great fit for the stuff my band does - wanting a mixer that can deliver w/ the 238 but would also be a solid choice for other 8 Track decks down the road. . .

mrpicholas
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mrpicholas » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:08 am

I used to have a 238 paired with my Tascam M-1600 8-bus console. The inline monitoring and D-SUB connections make routing a breeze, and the sound quality is more than adequate. I still use my M-1600 to monitor and mix OTB. There's one on eBay now for not too much.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-M-1600-1 ... 2341428bb1

drasp
audio school graduate

Post by drasp » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:04 pm

Thinking very seriously about a Soundcraft Spirit Studio. Seems after beefing up the power supply, its an awful lot of board for the $$$ (under $500 local). Would certainly be up to the task & leave plenty of room to mix into anything else we'd encounter down the road. . .

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:13 pm

If you can find a 16 channel Tascam M-2600 it'll be good. has tons of usable routing features..

drasp
audio school graduate

Post by drasp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 am

There is a 32 channel M2600mkII a few hours away, same money as the Spirit Studio, but man, 32 channels is about DOUBLE the size/channels we were looking for. Needs to be able to be moved around as needed - not "portable" per se, but at least "moveable". . .

snatchman
george martin

Post by snatchman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:33 pm

drasp wrote:There is a 32 channel M2600mkII a few hours away, same money as the Spirit Studio, but man, 32 channels is about DOUBLE the size/channels we were looking for. Needs to be able to be moved around as needed - not "portable" per se, but at least "moveable". . .
Actually, the footprint is not that big..Plus, you'll be suprized at how quickly channels get used up. Especilly when they start having technical issues,etc. I always get more channels than I actually need, just for this purpose alone.I had the M-2600mkII 24 channel for years..I think it was a good designed console but as usual, shortcuts were taken to meet a price point. Still sounds good though.Hey, at least you'll have room to grow with the 32 channel..!.. :wink: ..Good luck..

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:11 pm

Hill Audio multimix-16 rack mixer fits the bill..if you can find one

modular design
mod-able
16 direct outs
unbalanced (on 1/4")

plus 16 neotek/sytek style pres
and a darn good EQ

drasp
audio school graduate

Post by drasp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:18 pm

Learned a VALUABLE lesson tonight. Drummer & I drove 2hrs North to see the Spirit Studio 24. Power supply was supposedly "professionally modded/rebuilt", but wasn't pretty & there was some nasty hum & low output on all the master outs. More than anything though - the thing was HUGE!!!

We'd had measurements, but it wasn't until we saw it in person that we realized how HUGE it was. We need to limit ourselves to a mixer that can be transported by one person & this ain't it. SO, need to stick to 16 or less channels.

Loved the construction & the sound of the channels & EQs through headphones was great!!! Will continue to search. Thanks for the heads-up on the Hill gear!!!

drasp
audio school graduate

Post by drasp » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:18 am

Whoops! Found a Hill Multimix 16, *almost* pulled the trigger, but realized that at least in the case of the one I found, no direct outs. Also, no inserts. . . was there another version that DID have direct outs?

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:35 pm

yes for sure there is a version with direct outputs..I'll go into more in response to your PM

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:32 am

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.