1950's techniques, equiptment, and workflow

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CustomRecordingCo.
ass engineer

Post by CustomRecordingCo. » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 am

Hey Nick,

I have a vintage recording studio south of Chicago. Using this equipment is a lot of fun and a challenge!

When you talk about 1950's and 1960's recording technique, do you have a certain sound or song in mind. There's was a big difference between the early 50's and late 50's, same with the 1960's. And it seemed that each region had its own sound too.

Basically what it boils down to is a great performance, captured live through a tube mixer with a little bit of limiting (if its even needed) before it hits a full track, 1/4' tape machine.

At my own studio, we have an RCA 76 console (like what Sun Records had in the 50's) which goes straight into an Ampex 351. I have another 351 to add delay (also like Sun) and a plate reverb. Ribbon mics were a big part of the mid west, and southern sound and condensers were a big part of the west coast/ east coast sound.

Mic technique is huge too. Mic the room as opposed to the instruments. A good sounding room with a good performance will yield good results. Don't be afraid to make a decision and commit to it. The pro tools generation is so apt to saving everything because you might need it later, and making multiple modifications to a mix. Mix your session live to 1 track and take as many takes as you need until everyone is happy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me! I'm happy to help out others who are looking to get involved in this style of recording!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Wow, CustomRC! Great looking place and gear!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

CustomRecordingCo.
ass engineer

Post by CustomRecordingCo. » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:14 am

vvv wrote:Wow, CustomRC! Great looking place and gear!
Thanks!

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:48 pm

CustomRecordingCo. wrote:Hey Nick,

I have a vintage recording studio south of Chicago. Using this equipment is a lot of fun and a challenge!

When you talk about 1950's and 1960's recording technique, do you have a certain sound or song in mind. There's was a big difference between the early 50's and late 50's, same with the 1960's. And it seemed that each region had its own sound too.

Basically what it boils down to is a great performance, captured live through a tube mixer with a little bit of limiting (if its even needed) before it hits a full track, 1/4' tape machine.

At my own studio, we have an RCA 76 console (like what Sun Records had in the 50's) which goes straight into an Ampex 351. I have another 351 to add delay (also like Sun) and a plate reverb. Ribbon mics were a big part of the mid west, and southern sound and condensers were a big part of the west coast/ east coast sound.

Mic technique is huge too. Mic the room as opposed to the instruments. A good sounding room with a good performance will yield good results. Don't be afraid to make a decision and commit to it. The pro tools generation is so apt to saving everything because you might need it later, and making multiple modifications to a mix. Mix your session live to 1 track and take as many takes as you need until everyone is happy.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me! I'm happy to help out others who are looking to get involved in this style of recording!
I just wanted to say thanks for keeping up a studio like that. Just fantastic.

CustomRecordingCo.
ass engineer

Post by CustomRecordingCo. » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:11 am

It's my pleasure :)

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:00 pm

just had another go at your pics. congrats on the EMT ! fantastic.

CustomRecordingCo.
ass engineer

Post by CustomRecordingCo. » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:28 am

Thanks!