Tascam 144 4 track issue.. (no sound)

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Tascam 144 4 track issue.. (no sound)

Post by CV_Wonder » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:13 pm

I recently received a Tascam 144 in the mail which was supposedly working but is actually dead. It turns on and all meters light. However, no sound in or out. I can't get the meters to react and I can't get any sound out during playback. If anyone has dealt with fixing one of these I would love to know where to start.
Thanks!
-Eric

Orpheus
ass engineer

Post by Orpheus » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 pm

Do you get any sound coming out if you put a standard stereo cassette in and try to play it?

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:34 pm

Nope, zero sound from any kind of tape.

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:27 pm

Orpheus wrote:Do you get any sound coming out if you put a standard stereo cassette in and try to play it?
Rather, I tried that thinking it would tell me something if it did work but it didn't.. If it had worked what would that have meant?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:06 am

It's not really clear from your post...but if you haven't, I would rtfm and be sure you have everything set correctly.

If it still doesn't work I would return it to the seller if possible rather than attempt repair.

Orpheus
ass engineer

Post by Orpheus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:49 pm

CV_Wonder wrote:
Orpheus wrote:Do you get any sound coming out if you put a standard stereo cassette in and try to play it?
Rather, I tried that thinking it would tell me something if it did work but it didn't.. If it had worked what would that have meant?
It would have meant something on the input/record side of things was wrong, but the playback still worked.
Its for me to think of something that would cause the output to be nil, with no meter response but leaving the transport intact.
Try recording something on it and then playing it back on a standard deck
It sounds to me like some molex connector *might* have been disconnected during transport, but be careful...if they are anything like the 488 its a real pain to take apart and put back together.
How much did you pay? Will you have to pay the return shipping?

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:18 pm

you received it in the mail... because you purchased it? under the claim 'in working condition'? And it isn't. Unless there is already some reason why you can't address the issue with the shipper/seller - they're yr crazy uncle's grieving widow and/or you're just getting back from a year away from your mailbox... do not tinker. it will invalidate any claim you have with the seller.
Village Idiot.

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:06 am

kslight wrote:It's not really clear from your post...but if you haven't, I would rtfm and be sure you have everything set correctly.

If it still doesn't work I would return it to the seller if possible rather than attempt repair.
I did that and it seems im good shape in that regard. Sadly, I can't return it to the seller since they were a super flake to begin with and I got a good deal.

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 am

Orpheus wrote:
CV_Wonder wrote:
It would have meant something on the input/record side of things was wrong, but the playback still worked.
Its for me to think of something that would cause the output to be nil, with no meter response but leaving the transport intact.
Try recording something on it and then playing it back on a standard deck
It sounds to me like some molex connector *might* have been disconnected during transport, but be careful...if they are anything like the 488 its a real pain to take apart and put back together.
How much did you pay? Will you have to pay the return shipping?
Ok, that's what I figured. I opened it up at re-seated all of the molex for the second time. Still nothing in or out.
I payed $70 bucks for it... I took a chance and I may have a brick. Also, gooood lord this thing is heavier than I ever could have imagined.

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 am

Also, has anyone here had something like this fixed before? I know that's not DIY but just incase I'm out of my league. I know everyone says that it's not worth it but it doesn't change that these things aren't made anymore. If anyone has a good repair person in the NYC area (or at least near) who wouldn't charge a crazy price please let me know.
Thanks!

Orpheus
ass engineer

Post by Orpheus » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 am

Dumb question, but are there multiple fuses on the power supply?

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:24 am

Orpheus wrote:Dumb question, but are there multiple fuses on the power supply?
Yea there are! 4 total I believe. Probably a good place for me to start huh? So one of them could be blown but still allow it to power up?

I also just noticed that all 4 meters light up when record is disabled. When I record enable 1+2 they light up as they should having 3+4 black out. But when I try to record enable tracks 3+4, tracks 1+2 light up instead. Not sure if this is related, but now that you bring up the fuse thing.

Orpheus
ass engineer

Post by Orpheus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:40 am

Yes, definitely. Each fuse is in line with a certain "tap" on the transformer for the different voltages the various components need.
That light thing you mention is strange, the logic doesnt seem to be behaving correctly.

CV_Wonder
audio school graduate

Post by CV_Wonder » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:43 am

Orpheus wrote:Yes, definitely. Each fuse is in line with a certain "tap" on the transformer for the different voltages the various components need.
That light thing you mention is strange, the logic doesnt seem to be behaving correctly.
Yea one was blown so I tried a new one, of course that one blew too. I'm not smart enough to find the issue from there.