Question for wiring up microphone to stereo system

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

coandca
gimme a little kick & snare

Question for wiring up microphone to stereo system

Post by coandca » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Hey, guys, haven't posted here in a while, but I lurk here and there...quick question for yall..... I work at a pizzeria in Lawrence, KS, and I am trying to figure out the best way to wire up a microphone to call out orders when they are ready into our stereo system. The amp we are using is your typical amp with multiple RCA inputs and channels....I understand I need a pre amp for the mic and such. I do not want to have to switch channels on the amp to use the mic, I would like to have some sort of momentary switch or something to just cut out the music and switch to the microphone then hit the switch again when you dont use the mic and the music turns back on. I know this is probably a very simple solution, but please let me know what yall think would be best.....

would something like this be the simplest option?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014KOAD8/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_1

Please lemme know your thoughts and advice and also sorry if the question is kinda dumb..

Thanks YALL

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Details (front and back) on "stereo system," please...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

coandca
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by coandca » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:38 pm

I will try to take some pics my next shift (monday night) and post them....however....its pretty similar to something like this....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-ampli ... &cp=1&lp=8

Pretty much the standard home stereo amplifier....it runs a few sets of speakers...some for inside the store and some for the outdoor dining area. We run the house music thru one of the RCA inputs....that is why maybe I felt that the A/B RCA switcher would work if I ran the mic into a preamp and adjusted the levels proper for the speakers....but prolly not the best way. I will try to post pics tomorrow night.....in the meantime any insight would be nice....no worries if not....thanks !

dino
takin' a dinner break
Location: a mile west of the crossroads & the old circus grounds

Post by dino » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:49 am

Did this many years ago for my daughters place of business.
This might seem complicated but it worked like a charm.
Let me begin by saying that any kind of hard switching may produce a loud pop when switching between microphone and music.
In the situation I mentioned, I had them acquire a small inexpensive mixer and compressor. The CD player and microphone went to the mixer. The mixer was sent to the comp, then to the house sound system. By setting the comp to limit the overall level of the signal, whenever the mic was used it ducked the music under the announcement. It took a while to get the levels and attack/release set properly so that the ducking worked but once set, it worked great. Whenever they made an announcement they pushed up the fader to the preset point and talked into the mic. It allowed the music to continue under the announcement and had the extra advantage of leveling out the differences between the CD's they were playing so that they didn't have to mess with it. I know it seems kind of screwy but it really did work wonderfully....dino
I'd gladly trade everything I have now for a nice sounding room and a bucket of 57's

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:35 am

MikeRivers
pluggin' in mics

Re: Question for wiring up microphone to stereo system

Post by MikeRivers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:34 am

coandca wrote:I work at a pizzeria in Lawrence, KS, and I am trying to figure out the best way to wire up a microphone to call out orders when they are ready into our stereo system. The amp we are using is your typical amp with multiple RCA inputs and channels....I understand I need a pre amp for the mic and such. I do not want to have to switch channels on the amp to use the mic
This isn't trivial with a standard consumer type stereo amplifier. If it's old school enough to have a Tape Output and Tape Input on the rear along with a Tape Monitor switch on the front panel, you could use a two-way "stereo" switch to select the Tape Output or the mic preamp output that returns to the Tape Input, and then turn the "Tape Monitor" on.

What this will do is send the normal music source (CD player or tuner) out the Tape Output, through the switch, and back to the Tape Input. With the Tape Monitor switch on, what you'll hear is what's going to the Tape Input. When the pizza is ready, throw the switch to the other position to connect the mic preamp to the Tape Input and call the customer.

You can make a switch from Radio Shack parts for a few dollars, or buy something like what you linked to in your original post.

If you don't have a Tape Monitor setup, it'll get more complicated.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:25 pm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... xer?pfm=sp

Plug in your music to the tape in and your mic to the XLR. The mic has a switch if you want to use it.

Here's your mic and stand (authentic pizza style and Tape Op approved vendor)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... +-+%249.99

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... +-+%249.99

~$60 bucks and you are good to go.