Looking for guitar speaker recommendation

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Looking for guitar speaker recommendation

Post by kslight » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:17 am

I'm changing my cabinet out for a 1x12 iso cab (Jet City), however the stock speaker isn't going to cut it for both of my heads. I am needing a 4ohm 12" speaker, looking for something that can handle the power of my Carvin X100B (which has selectable impedance output, so that's not a big problem) as well as a "Fenler" Bassman head (which is a vintage Bassman counterfeit so its a 2 ohm but also runs fine on 4 ohm)..not sure the wattage on that one, probably 50 watts.

I like clean tones as well as distortion, but I probably won't do a lot of "shredder" type stuff?headroom is pretty important. Would prefer something that isn't excessively bright in the top end, and with solid bass. My main axe is actually a bass VI style guitar (a guitar tuned an octave down), but I play it more in the baritone range (not usually lower than low A for heavier stuff around Jack White overdrive all the way to The Cure for cleaner stuff) so I do need some low end headroom. I'm not a guy that turns my amps to 11, but I don't want to blow speakers either (which I've yet to do with my existing cabinets). This is mainly for recording, not for gigging. A "bass" speaker is not what I like to use tone-wise, and I will play "regular" guitar through this setup also?so a "bass" speaker is not going to be an option. I have been playing through various guitar cabs that I've owned over the years with usually acceptable though not always ideal results.

I don't know a ton about the differences between speakers and the descriptions listed on websites tend to be fairly vague and/or subjective, I don't have the money to buy everything and try it all before making a decision, but I think I would be happy if I got something in the ball park of what I'm looking for?

Looking to spend probably $250 or less, but would consider a little more to get the right speaker, I am fine paying for quality.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:38 pm

eminence

The cannabis Rex can handle all the bass you can throw at it.
They make a PILE of speakers that should work for you and will be well under $250.

The other place to look is Weber. They offer a high powered line that should cover you as well.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:12 pm

From what I can tell, Eminence doesn't offer many 4ohm 12" speakers?the one I did find offered a "top end bite" which doesn't sound like something I want?the Cannabis Rex does not appear to be available as a 4ohm. And I don't really know enough about the differences between each speaker they sell to be able to intelligently request a 4ohm of a specific model from them (if they would even honor such request).

I did look at Weber because pretty much all of their speakers are available 4ohm, though its really hard to make a reasonable comparison between all of the available speakers on their write-up alone? I sent them an email earlier today with my requirements to see if they have any specific recommendations.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Recording Engineer
steve albini likes it

Post by Recording Engineer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Weber Speakers is the key IMHO... Contact them and describe what you're looking for, like you did here, and they can help narrow the tons of options they have... Heck might even be fun to get two for options! If you find you're hardly using one, resell it!

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:04 am

Call Eminence. Their engineers can build you anything you want.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:30 am

An EVM12L will handle tons of power and reproduce the lows of the Bass VI without waffling out, though it might be kinda pricey so there's also the Eminence version which is cheaper (Delta Pro I believe).

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:19 am

Yeah that ev sounds like exactly what I need, the delta is about half the cost...both have favorable reviews...I kind of believe in buy nice or buy twice, has anyone directly compared? Some say online the ev has a nicer high end, some say the delta is better, some say they are the same...?

I could buy either if I could decide which one would be better for me, so I guess all things considered, except for price, would you go with the ev over the delta?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:36 am

I didn't think the EV came in 4 Ohm, which is why I reco'd the Peavey.

I guess I should supply the back story on the Peavey. I went in to a local speaker guru's shop a few years ago and asked him what the "poor man's" EV 12L was (since they're so spendy and rare now) and after a short pause, he recommended the Peavey Scorpion. I've got to say, I've been really happy with my scorpions for guitar and bass and light PA. They really fill the 12L's shoes nicely. Which isn't easy. The Scorpion doesn't seem to come in 4 Ohm either.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:07 pm

No neither ev nor eminence come in 4 ohm. 8 ohm should be acceptable if I have to, I primarily use the x100b which has selectable impedance, the bassman should be okay, just not ideal running at 8 ohms (this particular head doesn't have any headroom anyway)...but I guess I also don't use it enough to where it should compromise my decision.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:49 pm

8ohm for a fender is fine. Fender amps aren't finicky about seeing a specific ohm rating. And 4/8ohms is well within any tolerance. Should be fine.

Ev12's are amazing speakers and will also handle bass frequencies easily. They are glorious sounding speakers, but a heavy as hell!