Remote producer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Flight Feathers
re-cappin' neve

Remote producer

Post by Flight Feathers » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:12 am

So in the current world of computers and internet and everything, we can now send projects to be mixed anywhere, and have musicians track from anywhere. But has anyone worked with a remote producer?

I'm starting to work on a new album and would like to work with a "producer" in the traditional sense. But I have a job and family and everything, so I'm lucky if I can squeeze in an hour or 2 of recording in the garage a night. I'm thinking I could post/email the night's work to the producer, get feedback during the next day, act on the feedback the next session.

Could work?
5D Studios <-- my OLD studio
Flight Feathers <-- my band

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:30 am

Could work, for sure. My coconspirators are hundreds of miles away...I set up an ftp server at home and have fast internet, we dump stems/mixes/sessions on the FTP and communicate via text, phone, or email. In this situation I am the producer as well as engineer, and of course performer...but I can see it working other ways too.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:47 pm

I have worked this way since about 2006.

As long as you have good email / cellphone communication, and are
reliable in delivery deadlines, it can work very well.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:49 pm

I've done it from my bedio for online collaborators who wanted to put together a CD of their songs.

I mean, I'm prob'ly kinda" putting on airs", but I've had them send me their raw tracks and then add to them, or suggest changes, etc., give reasons why, try and steer the project to some kind of cohesiveness ...

As I think on it, I was really kinda like the mixer with a lotta input.

They called me producer, altho' it's really just vanity releases and demo's and others' personal projects I've worked on.

No $, and none expected, and refused when offered - I'm a hobbyist and proud of it! :twisted:

And then there is the projects on which I am also a full performer (as opposed to just sweetening) ... On those, I am more traditionally producing, without, of course, financial compensation.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Etienne P
audio school

Re: Remote producer

Post by Etienne P » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:54 am

Flight Feathers wrote:So in the current world of computers and internet and everything, we can now send projects to be mixed anywhere, and have musicians track from anywhere. But has anyone worked with a remote producer?

I'm starting to work on a new album and would like to work with a "producer" in the traditional sense. But I have a job and family and everything, so I'm lucky if I can squeeze in an hour or 2 of recording in the garage a night. I'm thinking I could post/email the night's work to the producer, get feedback during the next day, act on the feedback the next session.

Could work?

It could work.....but you'll be best to have someone you can work with in person, because there is really more than words to say for a producer. A very good producer will make you (hopefully) play at your best in the studio, will make you push the enveloppe, will make you "feel" at the top of your game..... and not just by telling you x or y things. Communication between a producer and an artist is way more complex than that (and it's a whole different subject).
That said, when I'm doing mixing online, most of the inputs I'll suggest to a client may be the same things as I would have said as a producer in the recording sessions. But, in my opinion, it never makes me THE PRODUCER of the session.
So, yes, you can get valuable inputs or advice, from a remote producer. But the (musical) results of your sessions will never be like in a face to face relationship. Like..overdubbing all the instruments can give great results, but there is always something lacking from a band performing all together in the same room!
Hope it helps in making your decision.