Small-form keyboards

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Small-form keyboards

Post by vvv » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:56 am

I have a Yamahaha S-03 what was reco'd by folks here, and it's great, but it's also large.

So I'm looking for a small-form keys and kinda like the Korg Microkorg or the Novation Mininova.

What I'm gonna use it for?

Lame I know, but I only ever really want piano and organ and related sounds, and only for recording, not stage. And I want hardware, not even MIDI what I refuse to use. And cheap.

The S03 covers my sounds needs just fine (and I know its piano is hard to beat), but I'm thinking I want a smaller keyboard to keep set up for the organ sounds, the odd pad, etc.

Any recommendations based on the above?

IOW, cheap, hardware, small, good organ and pads ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 pm

I don't think this exists unless you can accept a mini key equipped midi controller and small sound module.

Alternatively, an older iPad would do well too.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:02 pm

The pianos-n-organs crowd usually demands full size keys, and 5+ octaves of them. There are a number of "stage piano" products around that fit that niche- full size keys, basic piano and organ sounds, maybe stretching as far as Farfisa or Wurli.

The mini-keys market is often monophonic basses or leads, or even simply triggering samples. The target users never studied Hanon, so the mini-keys aren't a handicap at all.

Would a Korg X5D maybe fit the bill?

Checking Korg.com - maybe my taxonomy of the market isn't fully accurate - their microSTATION seems to be exactly what you're describing.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:24 pm

The micrroKorg is super useful and cool. The little keys kinda suck, but aren't the worst thing ever.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:17 am

Thanx for the tips.

I was looking at that, the little Arturia, ...

Haven't pulled the trigger yet.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:06 am

I never really thought of the microkorg as the way to go for organ and piano sounds. It's more of a weirdo-sound ghetto mini-synth to me. Which is why I love it.

It's already been said but, to me, if you want piano and organ sounds it's all about Nord. Although they're bigger than what you're looking for.

Incidentally, I've always found that cheapish keyboards can get passable Hammond sounds miles before their piano sounds. I also noticed that Roland makes the best sounding digital organ.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:53 pm

I wanted something small that was like the Microkorg but more for pianos/organs than for synths - got the Microstation. The thing's great, and lets you program things on the computer for it if you want. It's definitely small, perfect for gigging (which is what I originally got it for) but I do use it as a nice small MIDI keyboard in the studio.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:15 am

8)

I'm still looking, too.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.