recording simultaneous live tracks on iPad with GarageBand?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

recording simultaneous live tracks on iPad with GarageBand?

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:53 pm

Even with an Apogee Duet or such, is this possible? I had this set up for someone (I don't own it) and it looked like there was no way to do so. Am I wrong?
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

lysander
pushin' record

Post by lysander » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 am

Hey Larry, I'm pretty sure GB for iPad is only one track at a time -- at least it was a year ago. There are other DAWs that will allow for multi tracking -- Auria being one of the more popular. Cubase is also available for iPad, and there are other options as well. The interface should be class-compliant for this to work--the latest versions of the Apogee interfaces are.

If Auria and Cubase seem a bit too expensive for the project you might wait until the holiday season -- there are often very good sales on audio programs in between Christmas and New Year's.

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks. I've been considering an end rant about any software or such that assumes making music is a solo activity. It pisses me off. Sure, sometimes. But never all the time! I've had clients/bands in shock when they realize that they can all track at once here. Uh, duh? And the number of (tiny?) semi-commercial/hobby studios that proliferate this activity kinda pisses me off too. I used to track bands on 8 track in my basement all at once. And I walked 5 miles in the snow to do it....
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:13 pm

Auria can record up to 24 tracks simultaneously:

http://www.wavemachinelabs.com/Products/auria

I have no affiliation with them, but from what I've read, that product would appear to kick serious ass.

EDIT: ALSO, CURRENTLY 50% OFF (at now $24.99)

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:05 pm

I think in Preferences somewhere you have to "enable multitrack recording". I don't use Garageband much, and every time I struggle with various stuff. Like the track record enable button is hidden by default. WTF is with that?

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:54 am

standup wrote:I think in Preferences somewhere you have to "enable multitrack recording". I don't use Garageband much, and every time I struggle with various stuff. Like the track record enable button is hidden by default. WTF is with that?
This is about the iPad.