Delay/Echo pedal quest

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Delay/Echo pedal quest

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:31 am

Hey! Does anyone make a bucket brigade echo pedal you can hook an expression pedal to control delay times? I saw a pigtronix,and I cant afford,nor do I want anything that complicated. Need to be able to get the echoplex kinda/East Bay Ray helicopter/sweep to feedback thing. Keepin my eyes open
for another echoplex,but they seem to have become ridiculously pricey.
Thanks and Happy holidays!
Eric
I am the Walnut

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:31 am

It's digital, but the El Capistan does a good echoplex impression.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:43 am

I spent more than a year researching and trying out all kinds of analog delay pedals, looking for something that had decent delay times and sounded great. I didn't even care about price. I did really want tap tempo, though. In the end, I just bought a DL-4. It's a big box but it sounds great and does all kinds of good stuff besides a long time delay with tap tempo. And the DL-4 will totally do expression pedal stuff.

Not exactly what you are looking for, I know. I thought I might at least try to save someone else the wild goose chase.

That being said, AnalogMan pedals are awesome:
http://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_ ... ardx20.htm

And if you're talking about the Pigtronix Echolution 2, isn't that digital with analog processing outside of the delay line? Not exactly BBD.
Last edited by GooberNumber9 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:51 am

I like the time control on echoplexes-crank the repeats,and sweep left to get the chopper going. Just not always handy,if I'm using a combo amp,gotta bend over,and they're super expensive now.
How's that Danelectro reel echo thing? Seems like I could sweep that thing with my feet easy enough. I'll keep my eye open to try the line 6 thing,but that thing takes up a lotta floor space.
I am the Walnut

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:52 am

Dont want tap tempo-need continuous sweep
I am the Walnut

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:09 am

Oh. Might have found something just like what you want. Check out the E-H Memory Boy.
http://www.ehx.com/products/memory-boy1

The MiniFooger MF Delay probably sounds awesome also (I know its big brother does), but it's more expensive:
http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minifoogers/mf-delay

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:19 am

I was going to suggest the EHX Memory Boy, but someone did already! +1.
I never used it the way you describe (if I understand you correctly), but it has an expression pedal in, and I used to use it for some "faux Leslie" trickery before I got a keyboard with a decent patch.

Not too expensive, less so if you can find one used, and hearty/sturdily built.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:50 am

Gotta say I picked up a Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail,and it sounds fantastic,not
zizzy,and it has the blinking blue tempo light,just cant use an expression pedal.
Tried and launched the space echo reissue (features were great),but the input level matching never worked quite right. Used a deluxe memory man for years,
after launching the space echoes and echoplexes (smooth move,ex-lax),but
one of the outfits i play with now requires a lot of stunt/spazz fill in stuff.
I am the Walnut

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:02 am

Burnt Ernie wrote: How's that Danelectro reel echo thing? Seems like I could sweep that thing with my feet easy enough. I'll keep my eye open to try the line 6 thing,but that thing takes up a lotta floor space.
The Danelectro won't do the sweep thing. You'll end up with weird, glitchy digital stuff instead. Other than that it's great for the money.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:29 am

I think the Vox Delaylab will do what you want. They were discontinued and GC blew them out for 99.00 a while ago so I'd think they would be pretty reasonable on the second hand market.

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:28 pm

It's usually not too terrible difficult to hack an expression jack into a pedal, but there are a lot of ifs in there, and of course, it might screw up collectibility or resale value.

Alan from Low/RGC just tapes little plastic "flags" onto the knobs themselves so he can tweak them with his toes. It would never work for me, but you can now buy this wingnut looking thing:

I remember seeing this other thing that worked just like a standard expression pedal, except it attached to the actual knob on the pedal and physically turned the thing using gears and tubes and whatever. I can't seem to find it anywhere, and can't really think of good search terms, but they're out there.

Maybe it doesn't help, a good integrated expression jack would likely be better in any case, but it maybe opens up some options.

BTW - once you have an expression jack, you need an expression pedal. My current favorite is an Ernie Ball VP Jr, wired like so:

Edit - Though I guess that assumes that you have a CV type situation or where you actually need a voltage divider. If it is actual CV, it's worth double-checking which of tip or ring has the hot voltage. That one really needs to go to the input of the V pedal. If you just need a variable resistance, you can just use a standard guitar cable to the output. Some of the EV pedals have switchable tapers, and you'd want to select the one closest to the required R value, but there are ways to hack those things if necessary.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:55 pm

A solution that I came across when I was building a pedal for the same purpose?was that I could install a footswitch and an additional pot for time, so that I could effectively warp between two different times (as far apart as I liked) and get the same effect but in a more controlled fashion (and without the extra control pedal to carry).

Or wiring a simple switch and expression jack to your favorite delay pedal isn't really tough either.

BYOC sells a kit BBD pedal that is fairly inexpensive.

LowG
alignin' 24-trk

Post by LowG » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:13 pm

It's digital but doesn't sound it: the Boss Space Echo (RE20 I think).
I love that pedal. It'll do the spaceship sound via expression pedal or automatically by just holding down one button with your foot.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:11 am

Still waiting for a Luna reunion

emenel
audio school graduate

Post by emenel » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:51 am

I have and love the Way Huge Supa-Puss, which has expression pedal for delay time and lots of other fun controls. It looks a bit complex, but is actually really easy to use.