Space Echo Remote Pedal?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

williamsongs
alignin' 24-trk

Space Echo Remote Pedal?

Post by williamsongs » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:28 pm

Can I use just any old expression pedal with the Re-301?
The 1979 manual says use the "FV-2 Volume pedal" but I don't have one of those. I'd love to pick up some silly keyboard expression pedal to sweep the repeat rate with my foot whilst at mix position.
Isn't that what it's for?

I wouldn't be asking if I had any such pedal to try it with. Sadly, no.
"Sounds to me like you're just a little bit cranky"

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:38 pm

The manual says to connect to the output of the volume pedal, which leads me to believe that all it wants is a variable resistance between the tip and sleeve of the cable. This should work exactly the same with any make/model of volume pedal, but most expression pedals should be doable as well.

As long as the expression pedal you get either has an attached cable (TS or TRS shouldn't matter) or you use a TRS cable to connect it to the unit, it should work. The only thing being that if it works the way I think it works it, then the pot value will have an impact on the range of the speed control. If the pot is a lot smaller than what it expects, it probably won't get as long at max, while a bigger pot might give something longer than normally available, though there is probably a top limit somewhere that is independent of the pot value. Doesn't seem like you can hurt anything by trying.