Greenhorn question - Tascam 388, no (VERY low) playback?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

drhook
audio school

Greenhorn question - Tascam 388, no (VERY low) playback?

Post by drhook » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Tascam 388, a machine that i've been wanting to buy for a very long time. I bought from a friend, it was recently serviced and calibrated. It's my first time using tape, and I'm not a tech at all but for the past week I've been trying to troubleshoot this issue: I get a signal through the monitors, meters are bouncing, monitor knobs are up, but I cannot get a good signal on playback. I've followed the manual to a T (i think?); tape is threaded through properly, tracks are armed, channel is assigned, gain is cranked, monitor knobs are up, I can hear it through the monitors when i speak into the mic clear as day, and the meters are bouncing.

I CAN get playback from old tapes that came with the 388. There are a few pieces of songs on some and they playback fine. But when I try to record a signal, flip back to RMX and try to play it back, it's lower than -20dbVU and pretty unusable.

...help?

Thanks for taking a look at this. What's up Bobby Hussy!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:01 pm

I'd like to help you, a lot of times there can be problems like this caused by missing a step in the instructions?so I would kindly refer you to our huge Tascam 388 thread (which has stuff for getting started, maintenance?etc?great thing to bookmark and reference).

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=38598

That said, I have 2 388s sitting 5 feet from me, and in order for me to provide you help and attempt to retrace your steps...not run around in circles, please outline exactly, and specifically, your steps towards recording and playing back?not excluding tape formulas, which channel input (did you try more than one), what buttons you press?etc.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:34 am

Did you press the red L/R assign buttons upon playback? If not, you'll just be hearing the monitor signal, which will be lower in volume.
And are your heads clean?

drhook
audio school

Post by drhook » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:43 am

Thanks guys, I don't think it's the L/R assign buttons, even when i press them the playback is still very very low.

I'm gonna delve deeper into the 388 forum and try to find any starting guides or beginner tips. I'm also gonna make a video as well and put it on youtube if I really get stuck. Thanks a ton for looking at this, I really appreciate it, will be back soon...

drhook
audio school

Post by drhook » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:04 pm

Hey guys,

I made a little youtube video with my phone, thought it'd be the easiest way to communicate what I'm doing...

Heads were cleaned and the machine was fully serviced before I bought it. I'm trying to get a hold of the guy who did the work on it and see what's up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwY4qY8Ltk

Here are the steps I'm taking.

1. Flip over to MIC
2. Adjust Gain till OL light flashes, then back off a bit.
3. Turn up PGM odd fader.
4. Turn up monitor gain and pan all the way to the left.
5. Arm track 1.
6. Assign channel 1-2 on channel 1, and pan to the left.
7. Test signal for -3 - 0 db, hear signal through the monitors.
8. Press Record&Play at the same time, record a test signal, ensure that the meter is bouncing.
9. RTZ, disarm track, and press play. No signal. I switch from MIC to RMX and crank the faders and get the same result...

Sorry if this is still too vague, I'm pretty new to tape... Thanks a lot, again!

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Okay. After you're done your recording, switch the input selector switch to RMX. Then push the red L/R assign button. Make sure your master fader is up and all other push buttons are up, except the red L/R and you should hear audio.

Okay. Upon viewing your vid, you didn't put it into RMX and you didn't push the red L/R button. Do that and see what happens.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:56 pm

I apologize for any seemingly redundant questions, I did watch the video twice and some things are difficult to visually confirm within it.

You are pressing record and play simultaneously to record, record light should be solid?

Yes the only way you'll hear off tape is with RMX mode engaged, and you do sometimes want the red LR button pressed down...if another track has this button pressed you won't hear any track that does not...

Did you try physically plugging into another channel also?

What happens when you record to all tracks at once (center your pan, press down all assign buttons, arm all tracks)?

Are all of the meter buttons (the three colored ones above the red fader) disengaged?

Your monitor button is set to stereo, correct?

It shouldn't make a difference, but did you try it with headphones? I never use the speaker outs on mine and I went through all steps and recorded onto mine a few minutes ago and it worked.

drhook
audio school

Post by drhook » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:09 am

I put it into RMX and pressed down the L/R on that channel and still nothing. No other L/R buttons were down and it still doesn't play when they are all up. I went to a friend's who has a 388 yesterday and he took me through the paces, I tried on my machine and I'm still getting no playback. The only time I hear anything is when I CRANK the gain, record, flip back to RMX, and CRANK the faders... I get a very, very faint signal.

Yep, I'm pressing Record and Play at the same time, and the record lights are solid. Same results in the other channels. I tried playing a line in with a guitar as well, and no signal. I tried engaging all tracks and recording to all tracks at once, and still the same results. All meter buttons are up and disengaged, and monitor is set to stereo. And same thing with headphones, no signal. And still no meter bounce at playback either.

Thank you SO much, guys. It's super-frustrating and I didn't want to reach out like this, kind of scared of seeming like an idiot, and while I still probably do seem like one, thank you anyway, I REALLY appreciate it!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:06 am

That's weird, I've never had that problem that wasn't caused by user error...and I have 3 units total (one at my drunmer's too). I wouldn't give up. I would see what you can do maybe to start from zero...zero out your board, load a new tape on, carefully start over following the instructions. Sounds really stupid, but usually these things are.

It's possible something got dislogded in transport, I'd maybe chat with the guy that worked on it and have your friend check it out in person.

Lastly, you could take a few up close in focus shots of all your controls, let us see how your tape is loaded, etc...might give us a chance to double check you also.

In your video you said you have the monitor knob cranked...and just for reference I usually don't push mine past 3 and have plenty of volume out of the machine...

You never did say what kind of tape you have loaded?

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 am

Another test.

Once you have recorded, send the track to the aux buss...press the pre/post switch so it is in pre position. Turn green knob all the way up.

In the master section, turn aux knob all the way up.

Instead of stereo, press down the aux button.

Now you should hear anything that is sent to the aux buss..

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:04 pm

The only other thing I could think of is to reseat the Rec/Play cards.
AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Sometimes re-seating or just giving them a jiggle can get thing going again.
I have done this a few times when things have gone wrong with my 388s and it came back to life.
They are located behind the VU meters. Open up the top panel and you'll see a bunch of PCBs. Rows of 3 on either side. The 2 closest to the back are REC/PLAY the one at the front is the DBX. These can be tricky and hard to remove and you have to be VERY CAREFUL when removing them. They have pin connectors on the bottom and you don't want to bend those. If you dont want to pull them out, just grab the corners of a card, the one closest to the back left. This is for channel 1 and 3. Give it a slight jiggle or side to side rocking motion. Very gently. Then try to record something again.
If you don't feel comfortable f#$king with this kind of thing, don't do it.
I was iffy at first, but now I have done it many times, I have actually pulled every card from my 388s just so I could clean them.

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 am

drhook wrote:I put it into RMX and pressed down the L/R on that channel and still nothing. No other L/R buttons were down and it still doesn't play when they are all up. I went to a friend's who has a 388 yesterday and he took me through the paces, I tried on my machine and I'm still getting no playback. The only time I hear anything is when I CRANK the gain, record, flip back to RMX, and CRANK the faders... I get a very, very faint signal.

Yep, I'm pressing Record and Play at the same time, and the record lights are solid. Same results in the other channels. I tried playing a line in with a guitar as well, and no signal. I tried engaging all tracks and recording to all tracks at once, and still the same results. All meter buttons are up and disengaged, and monitor is set to stereo. And same thing with headphones, no signal. And still no meter bounce at playback either.

Thank you SO much, guys. It's super-frustrating and I didn't want to reach out like this, kind of scared of seeming like an idiot, and while I still probably do seem like one, thank you anyway, I REALLY appreciate it!
Did you get it figured out?

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 am

drhook wrote:I put it into RMX and pressed down the L/R on that channel and still nothing. No other L/R buttons were down and it still doesn't play when they are all up. I went to a friend's who has a 388 yesterday and he took me through the paces, I tried on my machine and I'm still getting no playback. The only time I hear anything is when I CRANK the gain, record, flip back to RMX, and CRANK the faders... I get a very, very faint signal.

Did you get it figured out?

drhook
audio school

Post by drhook » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:50 am

Hey guys,

Still no luck. I took the top panel off last night and jiggled the PCB's EVER-so-slightly. I'm not too comfortable with doing it. I bought some fuses and a d-mag last night so I'm going to change the fuses and d-mag it tonight. If it doesn't get better, I think I'm going to wait a month to save up some more money and take it to a tech, I got the invoice back from my friend who took it to a tech before selling it to me. They did a lot of work on it, I'm hoping to take it back to him again, I believe he's in Mississauga.

I also remembered after bringing it back home that I accidentally left the power button on, and then plugged it in... Would this blow a fuse? Or worst? Thanks a ton for reading, I'M NOT GIVING UP ON THIS THING! :)

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:08 am

drhook wrote:Hey guys,

Still no luck. I took the top panel off last night and jiggled the PCB's EVER-so-slightly. I'm not too comfortable with doing it. I bought some fuses and a d-mag last night so I'm going to change the fuses and d-mag it tonight. If it doesn't get better, I think I'm going to wait a month to save up some more money and take it to a tech, I got the invoice back from my friend who took it to a tech before selling it to me. They did a lot of work on it, I'm hoping to take it back to him again, I believe he's in Mississauga.

I also remembered after bringing it back home that I accidentally left the power button on, and then plugged it in... Would this blow a fuse? Or worst? Thanks a ton for reading, I'M NOT GIVING UP ON THIS THING! :)
I have powered mine on that way before with no problems. But it is always a good idea to check the fuses. Always be very careful when degausing the heads. Take your time.
Do you live in the Toronto area?. If you were nearer to Cambridge, i'd come amd take a look. Always fun trying trouble shoot these things. If you don't mind me asking, what tech was yours taken to. I'm always wanting to know the techs that are around that work on these things. I'm actually trying to do a basic calibration on my spare 388 right now. Almost done doing it.