What's yer fave guitar amp to record?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:18 pm

kslight wrote:The "classic" Fender Bassman design and all of its derivatives (Marshall, Traynor, etc).
That's pretty much the secret sauce for some of us. It's very easy to change over a stock Fender preamp to that design. The main difference is the tone stack is after both tube gain stages in the 1959 Bassman/Marshall/etc, where the Fender/Boogie designs have the tone stack between the first two tube stages.

The bit of overdrive you get before adding top boost does make for a meatier sound.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Pro Jr's rule. I was skeptical, because I am not a big fan of Fender amps in general, but I used to live with someone that had a Pro Jr. and it blew me the fuck away. I can't wait to own one of my own.

My favorite(s)... Marshall JMP or 800... 50 or 100w... doesn't matter, I record amps super loud anyway. Never have to work hard to get a basically finished tone out of that style of Marshall if the player/guitar/cab is solid.

I do a lot high gain metal/hardcore stuff... if the player wants that more "typical" uber gain tone... 5150 is the best, IMO.

I also recorded a Green head once. No clue what the model was, but man, that thing was crazy good sounding.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:47 pm

losthighway wrote: Combos: Ampeg Gemini...
every try it on bass? really nice. can't turn it up much, but the tone is great.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Jim Williams wrote:
kslight wrote:The "classic" Fender Bassman design and all of its derivatives (Marshall, Traynor, etc).
That's pretty much the secret sauce for some of us. It's very easy to change over a stock Fender preamp to that design. The main difference is the tone stack is after both tube gain stages in the 1959 Bassman/Marshall/etc, where the Fender/Boogie designs have the tone stack between the first two tube stages.

The bit of overdrive you get before adding top boost does make for a meatier sound.
Actually my favorite variation of this is my FENLER (not a typo) Bassman head....all tube point to point 70s era bootleg...does everything I wish a real Bassman did..has almost no headroom and makes you sound like Jack White through it...though that feature may be unique to exactly how broken and full of mismatched tubes mine is (because I ordered my tech to make it work, not to restore it). Also a vibrator input...poor English translation lol... I used to have an early 90s 59 Bassman RI and I preferred my FENLER.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:14 am

I've worked with a fair number of Fenders and do love my Pro,Jr.

That said, my current Twin sound, and the best I've ever gotten, is a Musicman HD130 into a old Celestions open-back 2x12".

I used to have a silverface Bassman 50w. head but never really bonded withit - I wonder if I would now, 20 years later.

Now, no one's gonna give no Champ love?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:12 am

My hot-rodded 1972 Vibro Champ was stolen about 4 years ago. It had a master volume, a midrange pot, I used the vibrato tube for an extra gain stage. A Deluxe Reverb choke and large 100 uf el cans were installed to remove the residual hum Champs always have. It ran off a single 6CA7 power tube and did about 12 watts. I miss it but not enough to pay the going prices for them. It drove my Basson 4x12 cab to niteclub levels and makes a great blues harp amp.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:23 am

Yeah, the prices, so depressing ...

I have a little Electar Tube 10 that is said to be a Champ circuit - I don't think so, and it's not particularly good ..

I also have a Rickenbacker M8E that I re-tubed and changes some caps and the output tranny and speaker in - love it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:28 pm

vvv wrote:
Now, no one's gonna give no Champ love?
I've got a SF Champ that came with a bum speaker when I bought it so I replaced it with a 50's style Weber and it's awesome sounding. Put it on ten and it's instant 1960's garage rock. Also sounds cool at lower volumes and in a pinch it sounds really cool on bass, but obviously you can't get a lot of volume. This guy Roger Greenawalt that I recorded with had the bass version of a champ. I think it was a musicmster or something. That was also an awesome recording amp.

floid
buyin' a studio

Post by floid » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Alamo Challenger is a nice, erm, contender. Tried "better" tubes and went back to the stock El Menco's. Sometimes it picks up radio - one night i thought i was intercepting Al Qaida bomb-building instructions but, just how to make a shortwave broadcast antenna.
Village Idiot.